Join for free
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 04:18 PM

Advertising banner

Ok I understand it looks at your cookies etc to put adverts that they've decided you might want up there. That I get.

But I just turned to my husband and said could he give our girls their monthly worm and flea treatment when he does their supper tonight and was rather amazed to see a frontline ad at the top of the forum.

Is it reading minds or listening to converstaions now too

There must be a reasonable reason but I can't think of one !
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 04:30 PM

Re: Advertising banner

That's the creepy thing about all this technology. We don't know who is listening and watching. It's certainly possible for apps to listen in on your mobile if they access the mike. So something like a social media phone app usually asks you if its ok to access all your info and all functions of the phone. That's one reason i uninstalled. The other was battery drainage.

Funny that because im listening to "a place in the sun" on tv and a city break ad has just come up here. Creepy!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 04:39 PM

Yes, strange, I'm just having a cuppa, and an ad for Digestive Biscuits popped up!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 04:45 PM

Don't know about listening to conversations but if I look at items on Amazon or elsewhere, then go to a forum, ads immediately appear that are related to what I was looking at. Most are unobtrusive like here, but others spread themselves all over the screen, now those are really annoying.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 05:01 PM

How strange. I've just clicked on all the different tabs at the top of the forum and got a selection of ads. One was for weight watchers, another was check your ideal weight, another for a Merseyside dating site, and another for toilet seats at Argos ( just bought a new one). I can't explain the first three at all unless my computer can see me
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 05:47 PM

Slightly off topic.

I was watching a commercial TV channel today and they ran three ads, one for MacMillan cancer care, the next was for funeral insurance and the third for the Health Lottery.

Tactless or what?😠
Freespirit
Dorset, UK
Freespirit is female  Freespirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 05:47 PM

Recently, I have just learnt that if you have a Smart TV and you set the microphone to the off position it is still possible for whoever? to listen in.
It could be the same for computers/laptops.

Also, I read somewhere it is best to tape over your webcam until you want to use it. They may be watching as well as listening.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Freespirit ->

Also, I read somewhere it is best to tape over your webcam until you want to use it. They may be watching as well as listening.
People do that but forget the mobile phone. Lots of hackers must be viewing double chins!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 06:17 PM

When Mups was looking for somewhere to look after her dogs during the work on her house, I looked up pet friendly cottages......the ad now comes up here everyday!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 06:41 PM

Julie, lt's funny, you should start this thread! This morning, one of my daughter's called in to see me.
She said, 'Why have you got masking tape on your iPad?'
I said, 'l heard you could be watched via the camera!'
She said, 'l'm more bothered that someone can listen in'!

Now seeing this thread has got me suspicious!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top