Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 01:19 PM

That's It Then! I Now Officially Belong To The State!

I don't know whether this has already been discussed, but I am sitting here feeling very uneasy about the fact that a new law has just been passed that states that when I die, my organs and tissue will be removed and donated or used for research, unless I sign a register to say I refuse to donate them.

Now, I will say that I respect all those who decide to donate same, but I personally would never, and there is definitely something very sinister in the state doing this.
What about those people who have Dementia, Mental Patients, or people who don't understand that they will have no say over what happens to their body once the inevitable happens.

It could even end up in a Burke and Hare scenario !!

Sorry, I know it is a noble thing to do, but to legislate that we MUST do it is totally wrong.

What are your views on this?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 01:23 PM

Re: That's It Then! I Now Officially Belong To The State!

I agree. The `state` has screwed me enough with taxes and suchlike without stealing my organs when I snuff it. I presume they wait until you're actually dead, or do they pinch them when your feeling a bit unwell so that the organs are nice and fresh?
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 01:39 PM

Really ?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 01:50 PM

I knew about this a while back.
Nanny State !!!!!!!
I am not happy about this and think we should be able to choose.
In fact, I am mad, so I will leave it at that.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 01:51 PM

Yes Susan. It is the Opt-Out Organ Scheme. (Wales is due to follow the same).
Under the new law, Adults would have assumed to have consented to donate their organs or tissue, unless otherwise stipulated by registering with the Organ Donation Register at your Doctors surgery to say you do NOT give consent.

So it is exactly the opposite of how the Organ Donation Register worked previously.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

06-02-2019, 02:00 PM

What makes me angry is that we have only two choices. One - to sign the Organ Donation Register to say we refuse, or Two - once death occurs, a family's right to say that it is not what their loved one would have wanted.
(good luck with that one once they have taken your loved one out of the ward and out of sight).

Please believe me when I say my comments above are not meant in a flippant way at all. I am very angry about the matter. I feel now as though we are all just experimental bits and pieces of body parts. I am furious that the decision to remove our body parts has been taken out of our hands.
What the hell right do they have to do this? It's a disgrace.

It seems the Muslim faith have objected strongly. What's the betting they will be exempted, rightly so, and the rest of us will do as we are bidden.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 03:18 PM

For myself I have been on the organ donor register for a long time, if there is anything left that's any use to anyone else they are welcome to it, but even I think it's wrong to make donorship the default unless you vote out,. Your body is yours even after death, so you should have the power to decide what happens to it in absolutely any event...
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 04:50 PM

Body parts for sale to the highest bidder, BOGOF.

Where will it all end ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Yes Susan. It is the Opt-Out Organ Scheme. (Wales is due to follow the same).
Under the new law, Adults would have assumed to have consented to donate their organs or tissue, unless otherwise stipulated by registering with the Organ Donation Register at your Doctors surgery to say you do NOT give consent.

So it is exactly the opposite of how the Organ Donation Register worked previously.

Actually Wales did this a couple of years ago, being somewhat more enlightened than the English parliament.

I signed the donation register many, many years ago and if anyone can benefit from having any of my organs, then all to the good.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I agree. The `state` has screwed me enough with taxes and suchlike without stealing my organs when I snuff it. I presume they wait until you're actually dead, or do they pinch them when your feeling a bit unwell so that the organs are nice and fresh?

I agree with Judd, but we must all make our own minds up.

As I said on the other thread on this subject, I think on the donation form, we should also be given a choice which research we wish to donate to. Otherwise we could be assisting a practice we feel very much against.
No one is given any information to let them decide which organisation they wish to help.

If you donate money to charities, you choose which charity you wish to give to.
I believe it should be the same with donating organs.

You may wish to donate to Alzheimers, or heart disease, or Arthritis for example.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top