Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 01:30 PM

A clever young lad

I have just seen this, and thought to myself - What a good lad.

Quote:

A boy and his dog have been praised in the House of Commons for their pioneering work on air pollution.

Tom Hunt, 14, bought a special air detector online and strapped it to his pet Labrador, Baggy.
He discovered that the air pollution is two-thirds higher at dog level and is now campaigning to improve air quality.

Tom is also asking the government to monitor air pollution at child level, rather than the 1.5m height it is currently tested at, and wants to see buggies and pushchairs raised higher from the ground to help prevent conditions like asthma.

Tom's MP, Dame Cheryl Gillan, told the Commons he was "perhaps the first person to measure air pollution at ground level" and commended him for his "enterprising research."

Tom, of Chesham, Bucks, said he was "so pleased mine and Baggy's campaign is gaining momentum."

* Tom has used the lockdown to write 'Baggy & Me: An indoor Air Pollution Survival Guide', which is apparently available on Amazon at £4.40.

I think I will go have a look at that myself now.
What a good lad. Pity more people haven't used lockdown to do something useful instead of more crime!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 01:34 PM

Re: A clever young lad

Yes, i suppose it must be worse at doggy level seeing as where all the exhaust fumes come from. An intelligent young lad.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 01:36 PM

Clever kid! Shame it doesn't occur to adults.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 03:54 PM

Clever lad!
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 06:33 PM

I have no doubt that such air pollution tests lower than 1.5m have been carried out over the years but the results have been suppressed for fear there would be outrage at how much pollution from vehicles is at the lower height levels and thus affecting pets, babies in pushchairs and small children who are able to walk.

There is no way this lad will be allowed to continue his monitoring/research because the potential for discontent from the public, especially parents and pet owners would be monumental.

Could you just imagine what would happen. Air samples at pet and small children height will be taken. Those samples will be taken to a laboratory to be analysed. The test results will be published and then comes along pulmonologist experts and respiratory experts who will say that the figures are very dangerous to a pet and child's health and could cause all sorts of medical problems. Parents and pet owners will read the news, see what the medical experts are saying and then demand that something be done about vehicle exhaust fumes. There will also be some in government who will secretly go looking through back files and then become a whistleblower showing that the government knew about the problem back when cars were invented but they decided to suppress the information and have kept subsequent tests hidden from the public. There would be outrage on a huge scale.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 06:45 PM

Well done to that young boy,
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 11:07 PM

This is the lad himself, and his furry friend, Baggy.

https://www.bucksherald.co.uk/news/p...-woods-1562925
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 07:52 AM

What a lovely story its its nice to have a positive story about a young person so often the press focus on the negative Well done to baggy too .
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 08:33 AM

I'm very impressed with what he's done but what/if anything will be done with his findings?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2020, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
I have no doubt that such air pollution tests lower than 1.5m have been carried out over the years but the results have been suppressed for fear there would be outrage at how much pollution from vehicles is at the lower height levels and thus affecting pets, babies in pushchairs and small children who are able to walk.

There is no way this lad will be allowed to continue his monitoring/research because the potential for discontent from the public, especially parents and pet owners would be monumental.

Could you just imagine what would happen. Air samples at pet and small children height will be taken. Those samples will be taken to a laboratory to be analysed. The test results will be published and then comes along pulmonologist experts and respiratory experts who will say that the figures are very dangerous to a pet and child's health and could cause all sorts of medical problems. Parents and pet owners will read the news, see what the medical experts are saying and then demand that something be done about vehicle exhaust fumes. There will also be some in government who will secretly go looking through back files and then become a whistleblower showing that the government knew about the problem back when cars were invented but they decided to suppress the information and have kept subsequent tests hidden from the public. There would be outrage on a huge scale.
Yes Dodge, I suspect you are right on all counts. And we are all aware we live in a world of lies, cover-ups and misinformation we've no energy left to bother questioning these things. 😐

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top