Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 04:32 PM

Re: Strangled his own dog !

I agree mups if he had time to hold the collar and strangle the dog I don't think it was attacking him at all.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 04:33 PM

I know how danger German Shepherds can be, we had a few of them as guard dogs when I was a kid. One was a killer and my father had it put down.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 04:36 PM

I have no problem with putting a dog to sleep if it bites but it has to be done humanly not just strangled.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I know how danger German Shepherds can be, we had a few of them as guard dogs when I was a kid. One was a killer and my father had it put down.

If you had a killer dog, there is definitely a big story/history behind that. They do NOT go from an endearing cuddly pup, growing up in a loving home, to a killer overnight and for no reason. Rubbish.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have no problem with putting a dog to sleep if it bites but it has to be done humanly not just strangled.

I would guarantee Julie, that was done in pure temper.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I think you may be getting a bit carried away here.
There is a whole world of difference between an irritable 'nip' and a full blown 'tear your throat out' type attack.

If that dog was pure evil and truly meant harm, he'd have made a much better job of it than he did.
I also happen to know for a fact, that GSD's are one of the most loyal dogs in existence if they are treated right.

We know nothing whatsoever of the relationship between that man and the dog, and never will as he is hardly likely to tell the truth.

Regardless of how Hestletine sees it, my money would be it was done out of pure temper and contempt, nothing to do with concern for the dog whatsoever.
That is what you want to believe!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

01-11-2016, 04:44 PM

That is what you want to believe!

Yes, you are right. It is what I believe.
You and I are opposites T. You are always too eager to point the finger at a dog without having a clue what happened.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

01-11-2016, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
If you are saving yourself you will do what you have to do to stop it hurting you, if it means strangling it, so be it!
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 05:06 PM

Oh my goodness- he wasn't trying to save himself! As you have experience of GSDs I thought you might have realised that if they are intent on killing someone then killing is what they would do, you wouldn't have chance to grab its collar.

This particular dog, I am absolutely convinced, was trying to warn him off and he reacted like an affronted bully. Pity it is too late to prosecute the stupid man.

If you are saving yourself you will do what you have to do to stop it hurting you, if it means strangling it, so be it!
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2016, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
If you had a killer dog, there is definitely a big story/history behind that.
They do NOT go from an endearing cuddly pup, growing up in a loving home, to a killer overnight and for no reason. Rubbish.
Mups, it wouldn't be "breaking news" that, these days, I am not all that enthused about domestic pets.

However, thirty years ago, I had a much-loved and well-cared-for German Shepherd which had been docile and gentle since birth.
It had never experienced violence or ill-treatment of any kind.

It attacked a 2yo girl. I had to prise its jaws off the child's face.
Permanently scarred.
I and the child's mother were less than 10 feet away.

The dog was not "put down" but went to an acreage property with other animals and no kids.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top