Join for free
Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 08:50 AM

Re: Does Britain need foreign workers?

The problem with the pay structure in some jobs is there ain't any, take industry, in general there is a graduation of pay scales that goes up, according to experience and qualification, in say multiples of £3000.00, so you start on say £15000.00, and aspire to reach wherever up to the top grade. When Picking in the Field, 100 people are on the basic, and the paymaster who dispenses the wages, is perceived as doing "very nicely thank you".
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 09:01 AM

Then, if the perceived wealth accrued, in such activity, is ploughed back into a local economy, the answer to the OP is YES.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Funny thing is that I remember all these "ten in a room, sharing five beds" stories being circulated about Asian people during the early 60's. They were not true then and they are not true now.
They were true then and they probably are true now.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
They are definitely true now! My ex-boss has had real problems with her next door neighbours - Polish - who bought the house and then converted it into a doss house with up to thirty young eastern european guys "hotbedding" - her council say this is a huge problem for them.
In my area, the council has employed drones with heat seeking cameras to discover "sheds with beds" in our area. I don't blame the immigrants - they are just doing what they have to do to get by. The real criminals are the greedy landlords making money from human misery and deliberate overcrowding.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

They are very true unfortunately. Many councils are forcing through rental licences because of this. But worse than this, many of the recent ascension nationals were sleeping in the local park. I would see them when walking my dog sitting on benches with their suitcases and looking miserable. There were even some guys sleeping at the cemetery near my dad's grave. If you sleep rough and go to work the low wages are possible.

Still in a few year's time they will all be replaced with artificial intelligence!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 10:04 AM

Anyway there was a clip on last night's news of a carrot processing factory complaining because they can't recruit as many East Europeans have gone home...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
They are definitely true now! My ex-boss has had real problems with her next door neighbours - Polish - who bought the house and then converted it into a doss house with up to thirty young eastern european guys "hotbedding" - her council say this is a huge problem for them.
In my area, the council has employed drones with heat seeking cameras to discover "sheds with beds" in our area. I don't blame the immigrants - they are just doing what they have to do to get by. The real criminals are the greedy landlords making money from human misery and deliberate overcrowding.
Yep happened here too I think it's because most of them are young men and don't mind a shared house. Families tend to be more fussy. And yes it's the landlords and politicians I blame too.

Cue I'll be called racist for agreeing with you though as a member has history of doing that if poles are mentioned.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Anyway there was a clip on last night's news of a carrot processing factory complaining because they can't recruit as many East Europeans have gone home...
Where are they advertising ? What are the pay and conditions ? It seems to me they give up rather easily as I know several here would happily move to take up a decent manual job.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2017, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Its does seem if you want to get rid of all the immigrants and employ Brits you have to get them out of bed first..

Quote from article in the guardian.
A favourite argument of those who oppose immigration is that migrant workers "take our jobs". The Day the Immigrants Left, presented by Evan Davies (BBC1), went to Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, a town with thousands of eastern European workers and 2,000 local people on the dole. The producers arranged for 12 of the latter to replace 12 of the former for two days to see if they were as ready, willing and able to work at anything as a) they claimed and b) their immigrant counterparts were.

Half turned up late or not at all. "I won't do a job I don't find very interesting," said 26-year-old Lewis, who has been unemployed for five years and was supposed to go to a potato factory. "I do feel a little bit pressurised to get a job, but it's not to the point that I can just take any job that comes." Those that did eventually arrive were a woeful sight. Paul and Terry insisted that the potato-sorting machines had been set deliberately fast (they had actually been slowed down to accommodate the two trainees), one of many examples from the British workers of a persistent and fatally crippling sense of grievance and entitlement.

Carpenter Dean reacted with fury to his Lithuanian supervisor's instructions to use screws rather than a nail gun, which would take longer but make his plasterboard work stand firm. Ashley quit his restaurant job halfway through his first lunchtime on his first day and then sat down happily to eat the meal offered by his saintly employer Ali.

You looked in vain for a glimmer of shame or embarrassment in any of them, but came up emptyhanded. You could try to tell yourself that their attitudes masked the insecurities that come with unemployment, and at times Davies bent over backwards to put a better gloss on their behaviour: at one point, he tried to suggest to the farm owner that availability of foreign labour had made employers lazy when it came to "coaxing and motivating" local workers. But it was hard not to suspect, as you watched the infuriating dozen, stunned by the prospect of physical labour, resentful of any advice, childish and utterly unmotivated by the presence of a television crew or the knowledge that even their greatest perceived sufferings would be over within 48 hours, that the natives might just be revolting.

So a hand picked 12.
What a boring program it would have been if 12 local people just got on with the jobs! I would most strongly suggest that the local people were especially selected to fit the preconceived agenda. In order to produce a controversial item.
After all they never pick people who will just get along for Big Brother.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

19-01-2017, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
So a hand picked 12.
What a boring program it would have been if 12 local people just got on with the jobs! I would most strongly suggest that the local people were especially selected to fit the preconceived agenda. In order to produce a controversial item.
After all they never pick people who will just get along for Big Brother.
All these tv programmes are the same all the benefits ones too try to say all people are the same when they've actually looked long and hard to find people like it.

Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top