Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 03:16 AM

Re: Tasks which require a bit of strength

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Dear Superfloydy,
Thank you for offering your services, and superman talents. I need a new curtain pole or track fixed to my wall, before my present 24 year old one falls down. Can you please email/text me your availability. Just turning up, whooshing through the air, like Thermoman, without a prior appointment, won't cut it with me! Besides which, if I'm not expecting you, the door buzzer won't be switched on.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Yours, Jazzi

PS, what kind of payments do Superfloydys usually accept?
Lol!
Superfloyd is always polite and will let you know when he intends to visit, Jazzi. As with all superheroes, he works undercover. Look out for an electricity meter reader knocking on your door sometime soon.
Payments? A nice cup of tea will do nicely thank you
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Women aren't designed to lift patio slabs or drag heavyweights. We have a bit missing in our physique that means we can end up with a prolapse. Of course men can end up with a hernia. But before any of that we find that most people don't know how to lift without getting a bad back.
That's right, Annie. It's very important to be well versed in lifting techniques. The main thing is to not tackle any weight which is beyond your physical limits.
And remember to lift with the weight bearing pushing up using your legs, bending the knees. Not with a straight back.
Basic common sense really: If it hurts, you're doing something wrong.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 06:37 AM

What tasks have you done that require a bit of strength?

Last year I built this cedar greenhouse completely by myself, including digging down 1 foot for the foundation and moving 3 tons of gravel for it but it was fun.

Three years ago we purchased a wood stove and had to get it downstairs on our own and managed.

Four years ago I helped my husband rebuilt half of our back wall due to my husband attaching a deck without flashing and the builder putting the house wrap on backwards. The leak travelled into the kitchen and basement so we had to jack up our house so it didn’t collapse while we knocked out the rotting walls.

We had to replace sills, joists, some subfloor as well as the wall frames so it took a lot of work. We then had to take out the patio door to add French doors, replace windows as well as the floor and window frames.

Part of the kitchen needed doing. We took the other door out , replaced that window , subfloor etc., and then replaced the wall in the bathroom. All the windows on our back wall got replaced that year.

I help cut down trees. I’m the person who cranks the “come along” making it the right tension while my husband cuts and there’s an adrenaline rush when the tree finally breaks and then you run before it lands on you. I then help cut and chop them for firewood.

We get at least 4 chords of woods every year that’s in log form for our woodstove that needs cutting and chopping which I enjoy doing. Bringing in wood each day during the colder months is a daily chore here which I do.

Just this summer we added a metal roof to our two sheds which we built. We also put up a 6 foot privacy fence that got knocked over last year by the wind. We are in a tornado zone.

I use a bandsaw, scroll daw, drill press, lathe, sanders, planer, chop saw etc as well as hand tools and most of these tools are mine. I’ve been woodworking since grade 8.

I might be a girly girl but I’m very strong and was raised by parents who treated me no different than my two brothers.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 06:46 AM

I love getting involved....I'll have a go at anything tiling decorating flag laying plastering, I love rolling my sleeves up and trying my best....I will admit my best isn't always good enough but I have fun trying
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-10-2018, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
What tasks have you done that require a bit of strength?

Last year I built this cedar greenhouse completely by myself, including digging down 1 foot for the foundation and moving 3 tons of gravel for it but it was fun.

Three years ago we purchased a wood stove and had to get it downstairs on our own and managed.

Four years ago I helped my husband rebuilt half of our back wall due to my husband attaching a deck without flashing and the builder putting the house wrap on backwards. The leak travelled into the kitchen and basement so we had to jack up our house so it didn’t collapse while we knocked out the rotting walls.

We had to replace sills, joists, some subfloor as well as the wall frames so it took a lot of work. We then had to take out the patio door to add French doors, replace windows as well as the floor and window frames.

Part of the kitchen needed doing. We took the other door out , replaced that window , subfloor etc., and then replaced the wall in the bathroom. All the windows on our back wall got replaced that year.

I help cut down trees. I’m the person who cranks the “come along” making it the right tension while my husband cuts and there’s an adrenaline rush when the tree finally breaks and then you run before it lands on you. I then help cut and chop them for firewood.

We get at least 4 chords of woods every year that’s in log form for our woodstove that needs cutting and chopping which I enjoy doing. Bringing in wood each day during the colder months is a daily chore here which I do.

Just this summer we added a metal roof to our two sheds which we built. We also put up a 6 foot privacy fence that got knocked over last year by the wind. We are in a tornado zone.

I use a bandsaw, scroll daw, drill press, lathe, sanders, planer, chop saw etc as well as hand tools and most of these tools are mine. I’ve been woodworking since grade 8.

I might be a girly girl but I’m very strong and was raised by parents who treated me no different than my two brothers.
Bratti, that shed is awesome as are your other feats of endurance. All credit to you for sticking at it and not giving in to hard work. Others should follow your example if they are fit, able and active enough to do so. Well done!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 01:27 PM

I have cleared my blocked sewage pipes with long rods attached to each other.
I won’t do it again, as l lost one of the rods up the pipe. As I tried to retrieve it, my glove came off and l got a handful of shocking liquid!

In the end l had to get Dynarod out to get the rod out of the pipe!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 01:41 PM

It was my job to unblock the drain to the septic tank at our previous property, a 1610 farmhouse! It was a job I had to do on a regular basis, which was fun, NOT! Although we were careful that nothing untoward went down the drain, it still blocked, I now suspect there was something wrong with the drain itself.

I was really glad when we sold the place, as I seemed to spend a lot of time doing many things which I could have done without, like climbing onto the flat roof at the back of the house to paint its chimney!
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 03:28 PM

I have lost so much of my strength. This morning I am trying to change my shower head, and I don.t seem to be able to loosen it. FIRST TIME i haven.t been able to do this simple job...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

10-10-2018, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
I have lost so much of my strength. This morning I am trying to change my shower head, and I don.t seem to be able to loosen it. FIRST TIME i haven.t been able to do this simple job...
Try wearing rubber gloves, WB. You'll get a better grip. Good luck.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Yo could try tighening it first, then slacken it, old trick.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top