Join for free
Page 202 of 370 « First < 102 152 192 200 201 202 203 204 212 252 302 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 02:03 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

I return and everyone else disappears….lol.

As I mentioned on Saturday, I’m changing my training programme to concentrate of being (or getting) as fit as possible. Four distinct days (light, heavy, cardio/high reps and legs) of fitness training featuring a variety of exercises. This will begin tomorrow with an hour’s worth of light-moderate work, but wasting no time in the interim I’ve already made a start on my gym work since I came back from my hols. Here are yesterday’s and today’s efforts:

Sunday 7/10/18: Just Arms.
Back with my first training session since before I went on holiday, and it was simply a matter of toning the arms enough ready for getting back into the swing of things tomorrow.
Unfortunately I happened to leave my written template at the gym afterwards, so I don’t have the full workout noting my sets, reps and weights. However, these were the exercises I performed:

Tricep extensions 1 Warm-ups
Machine arm curls, both Warm-ups
Lat pulldown, underarm Flex-hold at bottom
DB concentration flex curl Slow, no rest between sets
BB curl, seated, 60° Hold at shoulder 3 secs
Low row, s/a, alt. No rest between sets
Pinwheel curls, alt. Hold between sets to fail
Rope pull-ups Standard sets
Tricep pulldowns No rest between sets
BB forearm rev. curl Standard sets
Preacher curl, standing, alt. To shoulder, both arms
Cables: Hi-pull bicep curls No rest, full flex final fail
Tricep extensions 2 Increasing weight, to fail
E-Z preacher curl, c/g Hold at top
Tricep pushdowns Rapid, many as poss.
Bicep stack curls Rapid, many as poss.

Time: 1hr. 30mins.

Monday 8/10/18: High reps, legs, cardio.
Today I was more organised with my write-up and with plenty of energy I decided on an initial batch of upper body high reps followed by a simplified legs segment, and then a ‘taster’ for my forthcoming cardio workout which will replace my usual ‘strength’ session (now moved to Thursdays) on Friday evenings.

High Reps (Light weights; fast pace):

Chest press:
25x40, 20x30

Seated row:
25x41, 30x35

Tricep extensions:
25x40, 20x30

Smith flat bench press:
25x40, 20x30

E-Z preacher curl:
15x28, 20x18

Legs(short session):

Horizontal sled press:
50x120, 30x150, 20x200
30x100

Seated ham curls:
25x40, 10x50, 10x60, 6x70
25x35

Extensions:
25x40, 15x50, 15x60, 10x80, 10x100
30x40
*No issues with my knees for a while, so I’ve brought back leg extensions into my routine from now on. These are essential for maintaining decent muscle around the affected area below the kneecap. Pushing the weight to the max on the last heavy set to the full stack of 100kgs went smoothly after all this time, though I was careful not to lock out the knees on the exercise.
Another thing I now do is a few ‘bounce reps’ at the end of each set, which involves lifting the weight with the legs extended and isolating the inner quads so they remain hard.

Adductor:
25x60, 15x60

Abductor:
25x60, 15x60

Ab crunch:
25x30, 25x35, 25x40, 25x25
*My new routine for ab crunches will follow this format: 100 reps in total at a medium weight.

Cardio (taster):
Cross trainer, rower, bike, treadmill.
Just two minutes on each for a start. This will increase to 10-15 mins this Friday. Eventually I am looking at a full hour on these machines.

1hr. 20mins.

Thanks for reading.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 05:29 PM

Well, still chugging along at the 'little gym' and racked up 3½ hours today. I could have gone on but I was starting to get very hungry as I didn't have a big breakfast and it was 1:30pm by that point. Arms are really feeling good afterwards and did 6 sets of 100 (sort of!) stomach crunches. It's not what I'd describe as a "real" stomach crunch machine, but it's very similar to one. I am working up the nerve to try for 1,000 one of these days. Well, I can dream.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Well, still chugging along at the 'little gym' and racked up 3½ hours today. I could have gone on but I was starting to get very hungry as I didn't have a big breakfast and it was 1:30pm by that point. Arms are really feeling good afterwards and did 6 sets of 100 (sort of!) stomach crunches. It's not what I'd describe as a "real" stomach crunch machine, but it's very similar to one. I am working up the nerve to try for 1,000 one of these days. Well, I can dream.
Your ab crunching is awesome Tachyon. If someone should punch you in the stomach they would suffer a broken hand! Monster work there. They're not my favourite exercise but I realise they are necessary to keep a strong core section and they look amazing to the girls

What arm work do you do mate?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-10-2018, 03:10 PM

Tuesday 9/10/18: Short session, light-moderate; 35 mins.

Feeling really out of sorts today for my first session of my new programme, which is sod’s law of course. Reason being I have been asleep this morning with my fan on blowing cold air directly on me for six hours resulting in the most Godawfully-painful still neck. But despite walking around with my head on a tilt and having to move my whole body when I looked right, I was determined to attempt at least some of my workout, however slight it ended up.

Machine curl, both arms:
12x30, 12x30, 12x30

DB bench press:
6x28’s
*Stopped after one set as the issue with my neck was excrutiatingly painful.

Lat pulldown, wide grip:
12x35, 12x40

Seated row:
15x35, 15x41

Smith shoulder press, 60° bench:
10x30, 10x40
*Not a good idea with a bad neck.

Smith flat bench:
6x50, 6x50

Pinwheel bicep curls, standing, alt.:
6x14

Tricep extensions:
86x25, to failure

Sled leg press:
60x100

Ab crunch:
100x30

Better than nothing despite having to do baby weights on most exercises. The final three high reps were pleasing though.
Rest day tomorrow followed by my revamped ‘heavier’ session on Thursday, if niggles allow!

Thanks for reading.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 04:28 PM

Doing a spin class at 7pm then swim. I.m tired just thinking about it
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-10-2018, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Doing a spin class at 7pm then swim. I.m tired just thinking about it
I was thinking the other day about spinning, while I was revising my new programme to include cardio on a Friday. I'll see how my knees fare this week doing my first batch of cardio then perhaps start the spin class again soon.
Enjoy it tonight, Lion Queen
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Your ab crunching is awesome Tachyon. If someone should punch you in the stomach they would suffer a broken hand! Monster work there. They're not my favourite exercise but I realise they are necessary to keep a strong core section and they look amazing to the girls

What arm work do you do mate?
Hard to quantify, as the machines use a hydraulic piston and the settings range from (weakest) -2, -1, 0, +1, +2 (maximum) and they aren't rated by pounds or kilos. Here's a pic of the arm/ab machines I use...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4bgx37w2z...r%203.jpg?dl=0

The crunch machine isn't what I'd class as a "proper" one, but I usually do 6 to 8 sets of 100 reps in a session. I'm hoping to get 1,000 done one day either next week or the week after.

The arm machines and pec-deck I have to do alternate arms because if I use both arms at the same time the exercise load is too easy. I do 10 to 15 extends with my right arm first, then the left, at the same speed as most people do using both arms. In a set I probably do each arm 6 or 8 times, so I end up roughly doing 100 to 120 extensions per arm. I use each machine maybe 6 to 8 times in a session.

I probably made that sound as clear as mud, sorry! I'd much prefer using machines that have actual weights, so that I have some idea of what I can and can't do, lol. One of these days I'll be back to the "big gym" again.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 09:42 PM

went for a 50 minute swim this lunchtime then tonight I've done a 45 minute spin class, I'm getting addicted to the buzz I get by spin classes but I guess its a good addiction to have.

Stil thinking of doing a class Floydy?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

13-10-2018, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Hard to quantify, as the machines use a hydraulic piston and the settings range from (weakest) -2, -1, 0, +1, +2 (maximum) and they aren't rated by pounds or kilos. Here's a pic of the arm/ab machines I use...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4bgx37w2z...r%203.jpg?dl=0

The crunch machine isn't what I'd class as a "proper" one, but I usually do 6 to 8 sets of 100 reps in a session. I'm hoping to get 1,000 done one day either next week or the week after.

The arm machines and pec-deck I have to do alternate arms because if I use both arms at the same time the exercise load is too easy. I do 10 to 15 extends with my right arm first, then the left, at the same speed as most people do using both arms. In a set I probably do each arm 6 or 8 times, so I end up roughly doing 100 to 120 extensions per arm. I use each machine maybe 6 to 8 times in a session.

I probably made that sound as clear as mud, sorry! I'd much prefer using machines that have actual weights, so that I have some idea of what I can and can't do, lol. One of these days I'll be back to the "big gym" again.
No worries at mate, I think you're doing splendidly. I've used those hydraulic machines though and don't rate them. As you say, you can't really judge the weight you're lifting and on many occasions I went too heavy too fast and the air sockets were coming out of the skirting boards!
Stick to weights at the 'big gym', mate and those phenomenal ab crunches and you won't go wrong

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
went for a 50 minute swim this lunchtime then tonight I've done a 45 minute spin class, I'm getting addicted to the buzz I get by spin classes but I guess its a good addiction to have.

Still thinking of doing a class Floydy?
Fabulous, Lion Queen. Addiction is the key to total fitness. On the 'spinning', see below....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

13-10-2018, 11:48 AM

Firstly, my thoughts go out to Surfermom who is right up to her knees in the thick of it with that horrendous hurricane she has encounted. Being the wonderful lady she is, she's right out there clearing up. Hope your friends get through all this okay, Suzie. It must be a nightmare.

Friday 13/10/18: Cardio; 45 mins.

Yes, you saw this right: Cardio! The first time I have done a proper session on the machines since I don’t know when.

54 today too, so I must have seen this as a new step to retaining (regaining?) my fitness levels. As I mentioned last week I intend to lose a few pounds and get my body weight down to 16 stones. Weighing myself this morning I am already at 16st4lbs from 16 and a half last week, so the diet part of it is working a treat so far.
Obviously when I do some of the more heavier work to keep the muscle looking ‘swole’, my weight will even out again, but as for getting the belly down and seeing some more defined abs again, I’m confident of achieving that very soon.

I began this morning with almost 30 minutes on the treadmill (in fact, a shade longer than Pink Floyd’s ‘Shine On You Crazy Diamond’ which was on my headphones) and it worked brilliantly. Going up and down with the gradient and speed buttons killed any boredom that this apparatus would normally have. I’ve drawn the line against running though: If I go to the max incline of 15% really pushing hard, then taking it down to the flat whilst walking at 7.2km/h as fast as I can without breaking into a jog, then that’s alright with me. I burned off 187 calories which got me thinking I’d like to aim for 500…but that would mean walking on this thing for nearly an hour and a half! We shall see. Loved it.

Next I went on the cross trainer. As I remembered I’m not too fond of this piece of kit. All that twisting is not good for the spinal cord, so I did five minutes and moved on to the bike instead.
The stationary bike was terrific fun though. I had it on an ‘effort level’ of just “2”, so that I could pedal as fast as I could for nigh on 10 minutes, sometimes with the bike rocking off its supports! All that leg strength I’ve built up over the years has definitely paid off as they turned into a blur, moving as fast as I was. Weird thoughts entered my head as I envisaged the idea of going to a “spinning” class. Again, that may well happen.

It got to 45 minutes and I called it a day. Next time I’ll add the rowing machine too and take this session to an hour. It was just great knowing that I am still as fit as a fiddle away from the weights and I’m making this a regular occurrence every Saturday morning (before I go on the ale trail in the afternoon!)

Treadmill: 30 mins
Cross trainer: 5 mins
Bike: 10 mins

Total: 45 mins

Thanks for reading.

Page 202 of 370 « First < 102 152 192 200 201 202 203 204 212 252 302 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top