Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 11:02 AM

Re: Moving abroad - What will happen after Brexit

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I should say that while driving licences have become our de-facto ID there is no compulsion to carry them (except when driving) nor do you have to prove who you are (except when opening a bank account)

Having said that they are very convenient as a form of Photo ID, in fact the most common use of them as ID is to gain entry to a registered club if you are not a member.
What about healthcare? Do you need to prove your identity for healthcare?
Bayardicus
Australia
Bayardicus is male  Bayardicus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 11:20 AM

...My guess would be that they simply become included into the ever swelling ranks of the Socially Excluded....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
What about healthcare? Do you need to prove your identity for healthcare?
You have a Medicare Card with your Medicare number you don't have to prove your ID just show your card.

It is a secondary document only worth 25 points toward the 100 points you need to prove your ID.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_point_check

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 09:58 PM

You have a Medicare Card with your Medicare number you don't have to prove your ID just show your card.

It is a secondary document only worth 25 points toward the 100 points you need to prove your ID.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_point_check

A good thing. Something that we should emulate.

Wouldn't it be simpler, though, to have a general identification card that covers everything that genuine citizens are entitled to?

It could even include additional endorsements (on the same card) for driver's licence, etc.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2018, 10:10 PM

A good thing. Something that we should emulate.

Wouldn't it be simpler, though, to have a general identification card that covers everything that genuine citizens are entitled to?

It could even include additional endorsements (on the same card) for driver's licence, etc.

It gets worse there is a Centrelink number which is used for all social security payments such as dole, pension, tax relief part A and B.

I quote this number to get my free driving licence, car rego and concessions on telephone, electricity, water, gas, $2.50 transport etc and show this card to get concession entry/prices with public and private organisations. The number stays with you for life after 18 as does your tax file number.

There is no stomach for an ID card in this country, Personally I am looking forward to the day everything is on my phone and I can stop carrying all these bloody cards.

The problem with one card is that some things are state issued for example Opal Card, Driving licence while some things are federally issued like Medicare, Pension, Centrelink

Our constitution was written to protect state rights.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-11-2018, 12:09 AM

It gets worse there is a Centrelink number which is used for all social security payments such as dole, pension, tax relief part A and B.

I quote this number to get my free driving licence, car rego and concessions on telephone, electricity, water, gas, $2.50 transport etc and show this card to get concession entry/prices with public and private organisations. The number stays with you for life after 18 as does your tax file number.

There is no stomach for an ID card in this country, Personally I am looking forward to the day everything is on my phone and I can stop carrying all these bloody cards.

The problem with one card is that some things are state issued for example Opal Card, Driving licence while some things are federally issued like Medicare, Pension, Centrelink

Our constitution was written to protect state rights.
Well, the first step would be to get everything on one card, for convenience, and the next would be to have all the information on your phone. However, problems may arise here. How secure is information on your phone, and what happens if it is lost, damaged or stolen?

I would still vote for IDs in the UK, and can't understand why the idea was voted down previously.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

10-11-2018, 07:08 AM

Well, the first step would be to get everything on one card, for convenience, and the next would be to have all the information on your phone. However, problems may arise here. How secure is information on your phone, and what happens if it is lost, damaged or stolen?

I would still vote for IDs in the UK, and can't understand why the idea was voted down previously.
The problem is that people don't like the idea of all their personal information in one place it makes it a single target for hackers and a mine of information for an errant government.

It is getting to the stage where a photograph of a particular card kept on your phone will satisfy most people who need to see it (not the police because the law says you must carry your driving licence when driving).
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-11-2018, 01:29 PM

The problem is that people don't like the idea of all their personal information in one place it makes it a single target for hackers and a mine of information for an errant government.

It is getting to the stage where a photograph of a particular card kept on your phone will satisfy most people who need to see it (not the police because the law says you must carry your driving licence when driving).
OK, well that certainly makes sense.

Of course, in our case in the UK, I suspect that even if we did have ID many authorities wouldn't bother asking for them, perhaps especially the health service!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2018, 12:44 AM

governments won't give you all you need unless you can prove you are alive and registered - get real!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2018, 11:21 PM

ID Cards are as old as Betamax videos. We are already well past the point where they would ever be used.

What we have now is RFID chips. They are in your bank cards and many of your devices (which you were probably unaware of). For example, every Kindle device comes with an RFID chip inside it identifying the device uniquely and thus identifying you as your purchasing or registration details will be forever linked to the device.

There will be RFID reading devices stationed all around the world in strategic places. Every time you pass through them or near them they will be activating the chip and logging it. Hence your movements are monitored everywhere.

You can buy RFID blocking wallets to protect your bank cards from being read which I recommend. You can open up your devices (like Kindles) and physically remove the RFID chip (very easy to do).

Technology has already advanced beyond this point. RFID chips are now in tiny pellets which can be inserted under the skin. Typically they are injected in the soft skin tissue between the thumb and index finger. Over 10,000 people are already trialling them. Ultimately they will want everyone to have this chip in their skin. Truly the mark of the beast.

It's simple to see how this stuff will be implemented. Just consider how "they" make excuses to implement other things.

There will imo be 2 key ways they will get the public to accept being chipped like digs.

Firstly, they will engineer some disasters blaming terrorists. People will be appalled of course and the government will say that they can't control this influx of terrorists without having proper citizen ID controls.

Secondly, the younger generation will be extremely easy to dupe. They have already begun with contactless bank cards which we can just swipe quickly over the reader when we pay for stuff. Then they've got the whole Smart Phone thing going where you can pop up a barcode/Qcode on your phone to pay for stuff.

Kids love this stuff. It's cool, quick and hi-tech

Imagine the fun they will have/perceive when they get their hands chipped and can just wave their hands over a payment reader to pay for stuff. It will be like magic to them. At work, their secure office areas will have readers built into the doors. They will wave their hands and the door will magically open. All very Star Trek. The youngsters will lap up this 666 human bag and tagging before they realise what they have done. Once achieved, all privacy will be gone. RFID readers will become common place. You won't be able to go anywhere without being scanned and ID'd multiple times wherever you go. Big Brother incarnate.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top