Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 06:57 AM

Re: High Mains Voltage

I might be being thick here (probably am) but I wonder does anyone know could voltage variation be the reason I had three electrical items all break in the same week?

My TV washing machine and dryer all in the same week and all had to be replaced ? Hubby wasn't around at the time and he just shrugged it off and said it was coincidence but all three just seemed very weird to me.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I might be being thick here (probably am) but I wonder does anyone know could voltage variation be the reason I had three electrical items all break in the same week?

My TV washing machine and dryer all in the same week and all had to be replaced ? Hubby wasn't around at the time and he just shrugged it off and said it was coincidence but all three just seemed very weird to me.
It would be just speculation to say what caused that. It could have just been coincidence, or a high voltage spike (eg lightning, switching) there are all manner of possible reasons.

High voltage will shorten the life of an appliance especially if it is maintained toward the high end of the top voltage limit but you would have to monitor it over time to come to any conclusion.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2018, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It would be just speculation to say what caused that. It could have just been coincidence, or a high voltage spike (eg lightning, switching) there are all manner of possible reasons.

High voltage will shorten the life of an appliance especially if it is maintained toward the high end of the top voltage limit but you would have to monitor it over time to come to any conclusion.
Ok thanks Bruce....they say these things come in threes it was an expensive week I can tell you.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2018, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

Voltage stabilisers limit supplies to 230V so less efficient appliances. The same ridiculous argument is used by the EU to regulate electricity consumption of new appliances not realising that if something takes longer to do, you aren't saving anything at all.
That is true for heating though the life of the heater element will possibly be reduced but what about your washing machine? It's function is timed no heating function there (at least not in mine) so higher voltage means more power consumed for no benefit to me. Radios, TV, computers, lighting - same thing. It might be a small amount for a household but for a distributor it must add up.

Personally I don't see the need for voltage stabilisers merely better system control - usually just a flick of a switch to change the tap on a transformer for an area.

They do have a point that the system is not designed to for solar feed in but there is no excuse for the voltage to be 247.4v at night. It never used to be so before the poles and wires were privatised.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2018, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That is true for heating though the life of the heater element will possibly be reduced but what about your washing machine? It's function is timed no heating function there (at least not in mine) so higher voltage means more power consumed for no benefit to me. Radios, TV, computers, lighting - same thing. It might be a small amount for a household but for a distributor it must add up.

Personally I don't see the need for voltage stabilisers merely better system control - usually just a flick of a switch to change the tap on a transformer for an area.

They do have a point that the system is not designed to for solar feed in but there is no excuse for the voltage to be 247.4v at night. It never used to be so before the poles and wires were privatised.
My washing machine, in common with others, is cold-fill only. The cold water is taken in and heated up to the required temperature set by the program. With the advent of low temperature washes and the proliferation of man-made fibres, taking in hot water and mixing it with cold to get the correct temp. could cause problems with the wash.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top