Join for free
Page 221 of 370 « First < 121 171 211 219 220 221 222 223 231 271 321 > Last »
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 03:18 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

I stopped in here to update but found I had a lot of reading to do first.

Surfermom, wishing a speedy recovery for your daughter.

Floyd, wishing you a speedy recovery with your neck injury and cough.

Oh no..... it sounds like the dreaded MAN COLD.

Happy Birthday Mrs. Floyd.

Bob. I hope you do visit Canada. You won’t be disappointed. It’s a beautiful country and the people are lovely.
The paved path is on another lake that’s closer to us than the picture shown but both are really nice to swim in and walk/ run by. It’s nice to have some beautiful scenery to look at.
You write quite poetically as well which is pleasant to read.

I’ve been running at the gym on their padded track and I really like it. I’ve also been trying all the new equipment. The other day I found a rope pulling device that’s perfect for tightening up the upper arms. A place women our age generally need help most. I can feel myself getting toned up which is great because I want to get my metabolism running optimally especially through the Christmas holidays. That way I can better stuff my face without as many unfavourable consequences.

Welcome back Tachyon
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 03:32 PM

Another two hours in the gym and feeling very relaxed, what with the nice warm glow in the muscles you get afterwards. I'd have stayed longer but for some reason the place was very chilly indeed today, as it was yesterday. They must have a problem with the heating system I think.

The knees are doing really well, and it struck me yesterday after the gym that I wasn't limping painfully down the road any more, like I used to for months. I remember it being so bad I had to sit on convenient walls just to ease the pain in my knees as I made my way to the bus stop home.

Still going to increase the leg work slowly though.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 12:08 AM

Bratti, we hit a padded running surface today too - the outdoor track. I love the surface but loathe going around in ellipses. I decided to break it up by trying to see how many different species I could find. Killdeer, vultures, a monarch butterfly, turkey buzzards, osprey, gulls, honeybees, three carpenters...

I ran five miles, but I added some speedwork, which was fun. At my age, "speedwork" is a relative term...

Interesting thoughts on the rope, Bratti. Surfboard paddling and step aerobics with weights are the keys to my keeping bat wings at bay,but since I don't think I'll be surfing at 70, I'm collecting ideas .

Tachyon, what a worthy accomplishment to have realized that you have reversed some of your knee pain. Sometimes I think we underestimate our bodies' ability to recover when we get older. It takes a little more persistence and time, but we can come back. At this rate, maybe you'll be snow skiing soon .
Tachyon
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Tachyon, what a worthy accomplishment to have realized that you have reversed some of your knee pain. Sometimes I think we underestimate our bodies' ability to recover when we get older. It takes a little more persistence and time, but we can come back. At this rate, maybe you'll be snow skiing soon .
That would be an idea! There's never any snow where I live though, nowadays.

I remembered this morning that even just a couple of months ago I was limping home on my right leg so slowly and painfully that a woman coming towards me stopped me and asked if I was OK. I thought that was so kind of her and it cheered me up enough to get me home with a smile on my face. I hope the improvements continue - thank the gods for Methotrexate and some leg workouts.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Bratti, we hit a padded running surface today too - the outdoor track. I love the surface but loathe going around in ellipses. I decided to break it up by trying to see how many different species I could find. Killdeer, vultures, a monarch butterfly, turkey buzzards, osprey, gulls, honeybees, three carpenters...

I ran five miles, but I added some speedwork, which was fun. At my age, "speedwork" is a relative term...

Interesting thoughts on the rope, Bratti. Surfboard paddling and step aerobics with weights are the keys to my keeping bat wings at bay,but since I don't think I'll be surfing at 70, I'm collecting ideas .

Wow! You run 5 miles regularly? The longest I ran this year at one time was 8 miles but I definitely couldn’t keep that up?
I only run 2 kilometres each time I go to the gym but I cycle 5 miles and do an intense leg work out too. It’s enough that I can do it every second day and get my 1 mile swim in once a week. I still do yoga every morning and walk my dogs . Their walk is generally a few kilometres each morning.

Are turkey buzzards, Turkey Vultures? Those big birds with huge wings that circle around in the sky looking for dead animals ? We have lots of them around and while I enjoy the indoor track cause it’s padded and easier on the knees, I sure miss observing nature. Observing people just isn’t the same.
They’re boring.

I’m determined to get my arms in better shape but once I lose weight , the excess skin gets all wrinkly. I hate that look. Any other ideas that don’t involve surfing? I think I might start weight lifting for my arms. I’m determined to make my arms better looking.

How old are you Surfermom? Actually I shouldn’t be asking you that. Lol ! I’m going to be 59 in about 6 weeks.

I completely agree that regular exercise can completely eliminate joint pain. Since I’ve been doing my morning yoga I no longer get any joint pain. People who don’t exercise usually seize up with pain. Aquatics is good on the joints due to its buoyancy but not everyone has access to water or a pool.

Last night I did my 5 mile cycle, 2 kilometres run and a leg workout. I brought all my stuff to have a shower and wash my hair ( go in the sauna to condition my hair ) but I forgot my towel. grrrrr!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I’m determined to get my arms in better shape but once I lose weight , the excess skin gets all wrinkly. I hate that look. Any other ideas that don’t involve surfing? I think I might start weight lifting for my arms. I’m determined to make my arms better looking.
Last night I did my 5 mile cycle, 2 kilometres run and a leg workout. I brought all my stuff to have a shower and wash my hair ( go in the sauna to condition my hair ) but I forgot my towel. grrrrr!
Hi Bratti.
It looks as if most of your exercise revolves around the legs. I know it's a familiar problem, especially for women that they succumb to gaining "bingo wings" as they age. My wife has these now and does some very simple push ups to keep them slightly toned.

I'd say that push-ups are probably the best thing for your triceps (the muscles at back of the arms) and you will see quite a difference within days. Try to carry out about five sets of 10, resting for a few minutes in between each set.
For the front of the arms (biceps), a couple of soup tins doing as many palms-upward curl repetitions as you can until "failure" - that point where your brain tells you you can't do anymore - pause - and then push another couple of curls. That builds strength as well as muscle tone.

Of course, these exercises are the very basics and use improvisation. The best way is to get a gym membership and then the world is your oyster. Good luck, I know you'll soon be a serious threat to my physique!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 02:18 AM

To add to Floydy's great advice, tricep dips are also good for toning and can be done on a sofa or a low step.

Hahaha,Bratti, your comment about observing nature rather than people is SO true! Yes, I try to run six days a week between 25-30 miles, not exactly record breaking but it's fun. I'm with you in enjoying mixing up my activities. Exercise is a by product of the fun things I like to do outdoors here, and I am admittedly lazy about planning activities like going to spin classes, the gym, or yoga classes with any regularity. I'm 57.

Today was a strange one. We started running the track, but I remembered in mid run that I had a salon appointment within the hour. Should I call and rebook (she's a good friend and she's ever more likely to postpone) or should I run?

With each step, the anxiety built... it became a bigger decision..hair or fitness...Hair or Fitness...HAIR OR FITNESS. HAIRRRRR OR FITTTNESSSS??? My stars, no one should have to make such stressful decisions.

Tomorrow, I will ask forgiveness from the running gods and will serve penance in the form of some speed work.

At least my hair will look fab while I do it
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 05:47 PM

Haha Suzie - the hair appointment couldn't be #cancelled. That just wouldn't have been fair on the salon, you can run anytime. But I'm similar to you - when I have something on my mind it kinda plays a little too much and I become an uncontrollable quivering mess of decisions!

Thursday 13/12/18 1hr. 5mins.
(All weights in kilogrammes)

There’s no change whatsoever with my cough and it’s worse at night and also when I’m trying to sleep in the morning. But the sore throat which accompanies it is horrendous to the point that I’m finding it extremely painful to even swallow at the moment. The odd thing is that I don’t have the usual accompanying cold or flu. My breathing is fine.
I’ve been trying to pinpoint why it’s happening only at certain times. I mentioned the dry heat from the fire and radiators a couple of weeks ago and perhaps the air conditioning in the car irritates it, who knows? On the other hand it could be working outside all night recently and I do blame the dust on some very filthy pallets that I’ve had to move for the new building work.
I’m even weeding out even silly things such as drinking orange squash that may have an allergic ingredient or eating extra strong mints in the car – perhaps those aggravate my throat. I have no idea but I do know that it’s been hanging on for about a month now and I’m at a loss as to what’s causing it. So feeling drained with some awful tightness to the skin on my face too, which my wife says could be because of the shower gel I’m using – all these issues are turning me into a paranoid hypercondriac! – I’ve now resorted to putting Astral cream on my face in a ladylike fashion but it does the job, despite walking around red-faced all the time. But if it works, don’t knock it.

Anyway, to the training and it was just another catch-up basically with some very light exercises. I simply wasn’t in the frame of mind to test any strength today. Sticking with my recent formula of five sets (2 light, 2 moderate – adding weights on respective second sets, plus a very light final set) I did a quick hour and vacated the place to get back into the warmth of coziness of my house. Here's today's effort:

DB bench press:
8x26, 10x26
6x30, 7x30
12x20

Lat pulldown, underarm grip:
12x40, 15x40
6x55, 8x65
29x35

Seated row:
10x47, 12x47
6x65, 8x65
20x35

DB Pinwheel curl, standing, alt.:
10x12.5, 12x12.5
5x15, 6x15
10x10
*I’m enjoying these a lot now, the outer head of the biceps is really looking well-formed even with these light weights with a new ‘line’ of definition separating the two parts of the biceps nicely.

DB concentration curls, seated, alt.:
10x12.5, 12x12.5
6x15, 8x15
12x10

Sled leg press:
15x160, 20x160
10x200, 12x200
25x100
*That’s more like it. Increasing the weight on this made it possible to lower the reps making it more of an endurance test for the thighs.

Seated ham curls:
12x40, 15x40
8x60, 10x60
25x30

Not so bad after all, despite my feeling jaded. Depending on my spluttering state at the end of the week, I’m planning a cardio session for Friday followed by some heavier weights on Saturday morning.

Thanks for reading as always
Tachyon

13-12-2018, 10:50 PM

Sorry to hear you're poorly, Floydy. There are some very persistent colds doing the rounds. I had mine for weeks, and even though the sore throat and chestiness have gone I have had a couple of weeks of my nose continuing to run all the time. It's really annoying, and to add to the annoyment I had to all but give up using the stomach crunch machine because when i started using it my nose REALLY began to run!

Hope you get better soon.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 11:15 PM

Sorry to hear of your discomfort Floydy, I am no Doctor but it seems to me that it's none of the above, and it's more likely that a virus is the culprit. Sure, some things will bring relief from the symptoms, but I don't think they are the cause if they have not caused problems before.....But whatever it is, I wish you a speedy recovery Floydy...

Surfermom, I'm also sorry to hear of your dilemma... One of the reasons I go for my run very early in the mornings, apart from sometimes having to stagger through the rest of the day, it has virtually no impact on the days activities like going for haircuts and eating....Probably my second favourite hobby...

I'm sorry guys, but gymnasiums and workouts have never been my bag....And destiny presented me with a different path, and made me run it.....
But I do enjoy reading of your exploits in the house of torture.....

So my day at the office began with a five mile run around the highways and byways of South Yorkshire...Pitch dark as I struggled up the steep climb of the railway bridge and sidestepping the large yellow sign that informed me that the bridge was going to be reconstructed and therefore closed from January until April....

Not only is that going to inconvenience hundreds of drivers trying to get to work in a morning, but it's going to add another mile to my morning run, and two more busy road crossings.....But this mornings run continued over a very dry course with no problems to report...Everything seemed to work in the way it was designed....A very nice outing to be honest....

Page 221 of 370 « First < 121 171 211 219 220 221 222 223 231 271 321 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top