Join for free
Page 222 of 370 « First < 122 172 212 220 221 222 223 224 232 272 322 > Last »
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 11:16 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Have you considered that you could possibly have strep throat Floydy?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 05:19 PM

The lights and heating were still switched off as I stepped through the door into my great outdoor Gymnasium this morning. In fact, with a biting cold South Easterly blowing around my naked face and legs it felt like the aircon had been left on overnight....

No worries and I soon got to work easing my body into cruise mode, until muscles and heart were loose and pumping warm oxygenated blood into every extremity bringing them up to temperature. Nothing out of the ordinary so far, other than a feeling that everything was in perfect working order.

I don’t recall as I ran past a mile of queuing vehicles whether it was because I was trying to enhance my style in front of a mile of staring faces with nothing better to do that watch some old bloke go jogging past, or I was feeling really good. I was certainly shifting...

By the time I reached that lonely lane I realised that this run was going to be something special, so I ‘ran with it’ and arrived home in the fastest time this year over the five mile course, knocking three quarters of minute off my previous best time...

I don’t often drink coca cola, but I polished one off before retiring to bed last night...
I can almost hear the sharp intake of breath from all you sugar free purists, but this isn’t just a random phenomenon...It has happened many times before, sometimes using a jam or honey sandwich. It just goes to prove that heavy duty exercise requires five star fuel....And it’s a very useful tool to have in your box....

So this morning there were two happy people, me and Theresa May....
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Hi Bratti.
It looks as if most of your exercise revolves around the legs. I know it's a familiar problem, especially for women that they succumb to gaining "bingo wings" as they age. My wife has these now and does some very simple push ups to keep them slightly toned.

I'd say that push-ups are probably the best thing for your triceps (the muscles at back of the arms) and you will see quite a difference within days. Try to carry out about five sets of 10, resting for a few minutes in between each set.
For the front of the arms (biceps), a couple of soup tins doing as many palms-upward curl repetitions as you can until "failure" - that point where your brain tells you you can't do anymore - pause - and then push another couple of curls. That builds strength as well as muscle tone.

Of course, these exercises are the very basics and use improvisation. The best way is to get a gym membership and then the world is your oyster. Good luck, I know you'll soon be a serious threat to my physique!
Thanks Floydy. You brought a really good point I hadn’t really considered much before . I’m getting arm exercise during swimming & yoga but not much else. The thing is I have plenty of free weights , a complete weight lifting set downstairs by Pacific Fitness Solana and NOW a complete gym membership which has 6 racket ball courts, tennis courts, 2 outdoor swimming pools, a huge indoor swimming pool, indoor running track , bowling alley, skating rink, 5 basketball courts and numerous rooms with various equipment including weight lifting stuff.
There are all kinds of equipment for arms which I will look into.
Yes push-ups would be good to but I’m not fond of going them.
I’m not used to being around so many people so I might use my weights at home . I’ll have to play it by ear but you are definitely right.

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
To add to Floydy's great advice, tricep dips are also good for toning and can be done on a sofa or a low step.

Hahaha,Bratti, your comment about observing nature rather than people is SO true! Yes, I try to run six days a week between 25-30 miles, not exactly record breaking but it's fun. I'm with you in enjoying mixing up my activities. Exercise is a by product of the fun things I like to do outdoors here, and I am admittedly lazy about planning activities like going to spin classes, the gym, or yoga classes with any regularity. I'm 57.

Today was a strange one. We started running the track, but I remembered in mid run that I had a salon appointment within the hour. Should I call and rebook (she's a good friend and she's ever more likely to postpone) or should I run?

With each step, the anxiety built... it became a bigger decision..hair or fitness...Hair or Fitness...HAIR OR FITNESS. HAIRRRRR OR FITTTNESSSS??? My stars, no one should have to make such stressful decisions.

Tomorrow, I will ask forgiveness from the running gods and will serve penance in the form of some speed work.

At least my hair will look fab while I do it
Lol Surfermom
The hair would probably have won with me also. I’m glad you started the yoga. Isn’t it wonderful. It was the best addition I added. Yes chair lifts work good. I like doing those for the backs of the arms.

Thanks you too.

Hey Bob, you sure are an early riser. Just reading about your energy makes me tired. Every now and again I love a nice cold Coca Cola.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2018, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Hey Bob, you sure are an early riser. Just reading about your energy makes me tired. Every now and again I love a nice cold Coca Cola.
I don't think a Coca Cola every once in a while does you any harm at all Bratti...
I must say that I recovered from this morning's run very quickly, something that doesn't happen very often these days.

My next run will be an eight miler on Sunday, I'll give the Coke another go and see what happens....
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

15-12-2018, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't think a Coca Cola every once in a while does you any harm at all Bratti...
I must say that I recovered from this morning's run very quickly, something that doesn't happen very often these days.

My next run will be an eight miler on Sunday, I'll give the Coke another go and see what happens....
I don’t think the odd coco cola hurts anyone.
You must be in better shape than me. Since adding my 2 km run, 5 mile cycling and various leg workouts for the last 2 weeks, I went through some serious burnout which I wasn’t really expecting. And Bob, I’m actually more like you in that I prefer a natural environment while exercising but it’s a nice gym that I can workout that costs me next to nothing. I’d be silly not to take advantage of it.,

It’s inspring that you are still challenging yourself and have set a new record for your 5 mile run.

My brother does these 20 to 30 mile runs and he’s almost 4 years older than me . I don’t know how he does it but my dad played tennis 3 times a week until he was 84 so anything’s possible

Happy exercising fellow members
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 12:48 PM

Confession time...dear fellow exercisers I confess to the following crimes:

I skived off my walk on Thursday and stayed in finishing my cards and making a Christmas Yule Log,
I skived off Pilates yesterday and helped lordruthio get the tree in and set it up in the living room ready to decorate over this weekend.

I'm useless, I'm still sitting here in my cosy dressing gown with my third cuppa wasting time on here when I should be decorating the tree and the house, washing all the bedding ready for The Invasion etc.

I confess my sins and ask for forgiveness...I promise to use the step ladders and the stairs to good effect this weekend and only consume a mince pie every now and again
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Sorry to hear you're poorly, Floydy. There are some very persistent colds doing the rounds. I had mine for weeks, and even though the sore throat and chestiness have gone I have had a couple of weeks of my nose continuing to run all the time. It's really annoying, and to add to the annoyment I had to all but give up using the stomach crunch machine because when i started using it my nose REALLY began to run!
Hope you get better soon.
Yes, it's a nuisance isn't it, Tachyon.
The worst thing is when I'm asleep (or trying to sleep) and a sudden tickle occurs in my throat and wakes me up trying to cough it away! It's been a nightmare, so to speak. (In fact nightmares are okay, 'cos at least you're asleep!) Unlike you though mate, I haven't got a cold with it, which is strange.

Sorry to hear of your discomfort Floydy, I am no Doctor but it seems to me that it's none of the above, and it's more likely that a virus is the culprit. Sure, some things will bring relief from the symptoms, but I don't think they are the cause if they have not caused problems before.....But whatever it is, I wish you a speedy recovery Floydy...
Thanks Bob. My sore throat has almost gone, which is a start, so we're getting there. Thanks

Surfermom, I'm also sorry to hear of your dilemma... But this mornings run continued over a very dry course with no problems to report...Everything seemed to work in the way it was designed....A very nice outing to be honest....
A great run then, Suzie. Even in traffic there's no stopping you is there?

Have you considered that you could possibly have strep throat Floydy?
I looked that up, Bratti and I don't think so, at least I hope it's not the case. Sounds awful

By the time I reached that lonely lane I realised that this run was going to be something special, so I ‘ran with it’ and arrived home in the fastest time this year over the five mile course, knocking three quarters of minute off my previous best time...
Amazing work, Bob. Exceptional stuff

Thanks Floydy. You brought a really good point I hadn’t really considered much before . I’m getting arm exercise during swimming & yoga but not much else. The thing is I have plenty of free weights , a complete weight lifting set downstairs by Pacific Fitness Solana and NOW a complete gym membership which has 6 racket ball courts, tennis courts, 2 outdoor swimming pools, a huge indoor swimming pool, indoor running track , bowling alley, skating rink, 5 basketball courts and numerous rooms with various equipment including weight lifting stuff.
There are all kinds of equipment for arms which I will look into.
Yes push-ups would be good to but I’m not fond of going them.
I’m not used to being around so many people so I might use my weights at home . I’ll have to play it by ear but you are definitely right.
Great news on this Bratti. You're all set then

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Confession time...dear fellow exercisers I confess to the following crimes:

I skived off my walk on Thursday and stayed in finishing my cards and making a Christmas Yule Log,
I skived off Pilates yesterday and helped lord ruthio get the tree in and set it up in the living room ready to decorate over this weekend.

I'm useless, I'm still sitting here in my cosy dressing gown with my third cuppa wasting time on here when I should be decorating the tree and the house, washing all the bedding ready for The Invasion etc.

I confess my sins and ask for forgiveness...I promise to use the step ladders and the stairs to good effect this weekend and only consume a mince pie every now and again
Don 't worry about it, Ruthio. I'm the same.
I had a great session planned for last night and also for this morning but I was whisked away shopping and today we're putting all our decorations up like yourself.
You'll always be able to catch up
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2018, 05:05 PM

For my own plans for the Christmas period, here's what I've come up with. Nine different routines spread out to enable enough rest and recuperation.

Sun 16
Day 1: Arms + Legs only, intensive
Tue 18
Day 2: Light session, to select from list
Wed 19
Day 3: Strength session
Fri 21
Day 4: Cardio only, a.m.
Sun 23
Day 5: Intensive long session (full body)
Mon 24
Day 6: High reps only (light, full body, a.m.
Thu 27
Day 7: Upper body, intensive
Fri 28
Day 8: Legs + cardio
Sun 30
Day 9: Full body intensive

Hopefully I'll be able to stick to these plans
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 05:36 AM

The day got away from me and so did these posts. You all move way too fast for me!

It also appears that when I turned around for a minute this entire thread turned into some sort of religious confessional of heinous sins ...

Coca Cola, tree decorating, shopping, concerts....

What has become of us???

We need someone akin to a drill instructor to dole out the penance - but not until after New Year's, please.

All except Ruthio. I expect that effects of The Invasion will be enough to put her back on the straight and narrow.

I would confess my own sins, cutting my run back to only four miles, eating chocolate, skipping yoga...but that might tilt the entire thread into an abyss of holiday lethargy so deep that we might all just park ourselves in our respective sofas until January.

Thank goodness Floydy at least has a plan, and tomorrow is Sunday....

I believe! I believe!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2018, 04:55 PM

Oh dear, my 'little' gym is closing for the Christmas and New Year!! I'll have to find somewhere else to go to keep me occupied.

Page 222 of 370 « First < 122 172 212 220 221 222 223 224 232 272 322 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top