Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 11:18 PM

Re: Natural fur

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You haven't got my ears. They're unnaturally sensitive to the cold.

Strangely, they are the only part of my anatomy that is affected.

I know what you mean JBR, my ears can hurt if it is very cold, especially if it is windy as well.
I have to either wear a hat, or mostly pull my hood up then.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I know what you mean JBR, my ears can hurt if it is very cold, especially if it is windy as well.
I have to either wear a hat, or mostly pull my hood up then.
I'm glad you agree, because I was completely serious!

Some people find their noses are the most easily affected in cold weather. For some reason, mine doesn't seem to be.

When I wear my kilt in the cold weather, as on Burns Night recently, my legs (knees and above) just don't seem to feel cold. (You really wanted to know that, didn't you? )

We're all different - thankfully.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 01:53 AM

Just for you JBR..

http://www.rabbitfur.info/factsheet.htm
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 09:14 AM

Well, considering Man and Woman first wore pelts and fur in the Caveman era over 170,000 years ago, by first killing and eating the animal for the meat. An acceptable way of living.

Just been reading short biop of fur that was interesting. It appears that as far back as the 11th century, European woman started the trend to wear fur more as a fashion item rather than for warmth, such as fur coats, capes and hats. Royalty at the time wore fur all the time, such as Sable, Mink and Chinchilla. It was the ultimate symbol of wealth. By the 1300's, laws were actually introduced to regulate which social classes were allowed to wear which type of fur!!.

It was in 1870 that fur farms came into being and that films depicting women wearing fur made it even more popular.
By the 1950's most actresses were often seen wearing fur on the big screen and out and about.

By 1960, fur was much more affordable, fur coats became shorter and this is when faux fur came into its own, as well as accessories.

Must admit, only once owned a shortish faux fur coat that I loved to wear over an evening dress on special occasions. Although only fake, once anti-fur campaigns came into being, I was loathe to wear it as it looked so real (I didn't want to risk a tin of pain being poured over my head!)
My faux fur was in the end, confined to the back of my wardrobe, and eventually the charity shop.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Just for you JBR..

http://www.rabbitfur.info/factsheet.htm
Thanks for that, PD, and for making me feel guilty.

However, my feelings of guilt were mitigated by this extract:

"60% of the profits from Orylag rabbits comes from their fur and 40% from the meat and this is considered to be the future of rabbit farming."

So, if they are killed for their meat, which seems a little more acceptable, their fur could be considered almost a by-product.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-03-2019, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Well, considering Man and Woman first wore pelts and fur in the Caveman era over 170,000 years ago, by first killing and eating the animal for the meat. An acceptable way of living.

Just been reading short biop of fur that was interesting. It appears that as far back as the 11th century, European woman started the trend to wear fur more as a fashion item rather than for warmth, such as fur coats, capes and hats. Royalty at the time wore fur all the time, such as Sable, Mink and Chinchilla. It was the ultimate symbol of wealth. By the 1300's, laws were actually introduced to regulate which social classes were allowed to wear which type of fur!!.

It was in 1870 that fur farms came into being and that films depicting women wearing fur made it even more popular.
By the 1950's most actresses were often seen wearing fur on the big screen and out and about.

By 1960, fur was much more affordable, fur coats became shorter and this is when faux fur came into its own, as well as accessories.

Must admit, only once owned a shortish faux fur coat that I loved to wear over an evening dress on special occasions. Although only fake, once anti-fur campaigns came into being, I was loathe to wear it as it looked so real (I didn't want to risk a tin of pain being poured over my head!)
My faux fur was in the end, confined to the back of my wardrobe, and eventually the charity shop.
Thanks. Very informative.

I assure you that this hat was not bought as a 'fashion item', at least not by me. It is a practical means to protect my ears from the cold which, I promise you, is a real problem!

I would have bought false fur, but couldn't readily find what I wanted.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 12:16 PM

Whenever I see anyone wearing a fur lined coat my first thought is that they've got it inside out -----
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 10:55 PM

Resurrecting this thread from last month, I have just read something really horrible tonight.

It was in a PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) newsletter.

I will quote part of the article, but be warned - it is not good:

" You might be shocked to read about the horrendous cruelty to cats and dogs in Chinese live-animal markets.
These animals writhe in terror as they're bludgeoned, hung up by their tails, and skinned.
Many are still conscious and forced to endure every excrutiating second.

Since dogs are commonly stolen from their homes or snatched off the streets in China, some of these animals are almost certainly beloved companions.

It is estimated that hundreds of thousands of dogs and cats are killed and skinned each year in this way, in China.

Some dogs have been found continuing to breathe and blink for five minutes after being skinned alive."

I can hardly believe atrocities on this scale are still alowed in 2019.

Pure evil bast**ds who do these things. I hope they suffer in hell one day.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

04-04-2019, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Resurrecting this thread from last month, I have just read something really horrible tonight.

It was in a PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) newsletter.

I will quote part of the article, but be warned - it is not good:

" You might be shocked to read about the horrendous cruelty to cats and dogs in Chinese live-animal markets.
These animals writhe in terror as they're bludgeoned, hung up by their tails, and skinned.
Many are still conscious and forced to endure every excrutiating second.

Since dogs are commonly stolen from their homes or snatched off the streets in China, some of these animals are almost certainly beloved companions.

It is estimated that hundreds of thousands of dogs and cats are killed and skinned each year in this way, in China.

Some dogs have been found continuing to breathe and blink for five minutes after being skinned alive."

I can hardly believe atrocities on this scale are still alowed in 2019.

Pure evil bast**ds who do these things. I hope they suffer in hell one day.
I completely agree regarding this inhuman torture of animals. I'm a cat owner and I would happily kill someone if I found them doing that to any such animal.

But this is, of course, China. They don't have the same standards as us.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top