Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 11:33 AM

Re: Postage increase

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
But whose fault is that? It is not all down to internet usage.

When I was a child we had two deliveries per day - 1st class arrived in the early morning and 2nd class at lunchtime. The service was reliable.

Now - post here turns up about 2:30pm and even 1st class can take up to three days to arrive.

Each town had it's own sorting office - now - our post has to go all the way to Leeds to be sorted and then back again for delivery. Most villages had their own post office - now people have to travel into towns - which adds to the cost - petrol, bus fare, etc.,

Also post offices are now pushed into shops/mini markets, the queues are mixed, the counter staff having to do double duty - and it is a nightmare trying to post anything larger than a postcard.

The more they push the prices up - the less likely people are to use it. Who wants to pay for a rubbish service?
Blame privatisation, making Royal Mail make a profit rather than run it at a loss as it used to be.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I use it a lot, I have several pen pals over the World.
Understand. Some of our close acquaintances don't do social media. And we send real birthday cards and gifts by mail.

For those in the states, we use the internet to order gifts and get them delivered locally.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Understand. Some of our close acquaintances don't do social media. And we send real birthday cards and gifts by mail.

For those in the states, we use the internet to order gifts and get them delivered locally.
My American pal & I have decided birthday gifts only from this year, the postage has got stupid. Both here & in the USA.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2019, 10:52 PM

I send so few letters or cards that I don't notice the price of the stamp until I buy one.

70p does seem expensive, though, especially if you have many items to send.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 03:24 PM

When I was working and producing a few magazines, advertisers had to be invoiced so 2nd Class postage costs were quite high. Every time prices were due to increase I bought more stamps than usual so saved when the prices increased. Eventually though I went over to invoicing advertisers by e-mail, no postage costs, no envelopes, no A4 paper and no printer ink to buy. Invoices were also paid using online BACS payments rather than cheques in the post, another loss to Royal Mail for the same reason.

That I reckon is what's happening with many users of the postal service and Royal Mail is just chasing the loss of income that's happened due to their continual price increases and decreasing service. However, they just don't seem to see that as prices continue to increase every year.

Christmas cards, or any other type of card, can be sent by e-mail, as many as you want too, for just the cost of belonging to one of the many greetings cards websites. I've seen them for as little as £10 per year with a really good selection also allowing an unlimited number of cards.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 03:59 AM

Australia Post has one rate - it charges $1 (50p) for a standard letter up to 250gm delivered anywhere on the continent but we pensioners get 50 concession stamps a year at 60c (30p) to do the same thing.

This is not next day delivery - let's face it Perth is 3000km away for example. They do offer next day delivery to capital cities but it cost extra and why would you pay it?

I think it is $3 (150p) to send a letter to the UK but at Christmas they have concession rates for cards both local and overseas I think it was $2.15 to send a Christmas card to the UK and 65c locally last Christmas
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 09:12 AM

I have family living in Tasmania, a letter sent there costs £2.25 GBP (4.23 AUD) for a maximum of 250g. That sounds expensive but when the mileage, London to Hobart approximately 11,000 miles, is considered it’s not as expensive as the UK at 70 pence (1.19 AUD?) for a 1st Class stamp (no concessions in the UK), the maximum miles can only be Land’s End to John O’Groats – around 850 miles.

Letters from the UK to Hobart usually take a week to arrive, my business invoices sent 2nd Class post within the UK have often taken five days, at that particular time some did not arrive at all!

The answer to this is e-mail but some older folk in my Tasmanian family do not have, do not want and refuse to use the internet!

There is no answer to that one!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I have family living in Tasmania, a letter sent there costs £2.25 GBP (4.23 AUD) for a maximum of 250g. That sounds expensive but when the mileage, London to Hobart approximately 11,000 miles, is considered it’s not as expensive as the UK at 70 pence (1.19 AUD?) for a 1st Class stamp (no concessions in the UK), the maximum miles can only be Land’s End to John O’Groats – around 850 miles.

Letters from the UK to Hobart usually take a week to arrive, my business invoices sent 2nd Class post within the UK have often taken five days, at that particular time some did not arrive at all!

The answer to this is e-mail but some older folk in my Tasmanian family do not have, do not want and refuse to use the internet!

There is no answer to that one!
It's even dearer from here to send to The Falkland Islands, yet my pen pal there pays less to send to me here. Work that one out. Their stamps sure are pretty though.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2019, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Letters from the UK to Hobart usually take a week to arrive,
About the same time as it sometimes takes for a pensioner's concession letter to get from Wollongong to Canberra.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

15-03-2019, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Australia Post has one rate - it charges $1 (50p) for a standard letter up to 250gm delivered anywhere on the continent but we pensioners get 50 concession stamps a year at 60c (30p) to do the same thing.

This is not next day delivery - let's face it Perth is 3000km away for example. They do offer next day delivery to capital cities but it cost extra and why would you pay it?

I think it is $3 (150p) to send a letter to the UK but at Christmas they have concession rates for cards both local and overseas I think it was $2.15 to send a Christmas card to the UK and 65c locally last Christmas
Parcels are very expensive to send to Australia, we stopped relative B/D & Christmas presents a while ago & cards. As they are all on FB we send greetings that way.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top