Join for free
Page 267 of 370 « First < 167 217 257 265 266 267 268 269 277 317 367 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 11:14 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Those steps look like a nightmare Roxy, I've visited pools with steps like those and you have to be very careful when using them, I usually bash my toes on them.....Painful!
I suspect those blokes are planning their training schedules....Time well spent in my opinion...

No need to apologise Floydy, and it's nice to see you back here. Time is always a problem when you enjoy posting on such an excellent forum, and it is also the reason why I try to spread myself around the topics until I look at the clock and realise that most of the morning has been eaten away...

It's a catch twenty two situation; If I don't go out and create some adventures there is nothing for me to write about, if I go out and create some adventures it leaves me with little time to post them on the forum...
Don't believe that when you retire you have more time...

It's good to see Tachyon back in the saddle, and I hope your previous problems are now behind you.....They sure seem to be considering your workout...

There are no winners when it comes to the wind Surfermom, when it's not beating against your chest and turning a flat course into a steep hill one [it certainly feels like running up hill] it's coming from the side and blows you off course and ends up with you adding extra miles by taking a zig zag route... It does make for good training though, and although I sometimes come back exhausted, I also feel more satisfied and refreshed than if I'd had an uneventful run....

My medical screening tests came back the other day and I was pleased to see that I have the body of a 53 year old.... It works on a traffic light system where green is good, amber is cautionary and red is serious enough to visit your GP with the results. So out of about fifty or so results, forty odd were green....There were half a dozen amber ones on Cholesterol, lung capacity, red blood cell count and Blood pressure? [I always read low, but for some reason it was slightly elevated this time]

The most significant result was my heart though....I got a RED because my heart rate was 46 beats per minute and my ECG showed something called Sinus bradycardia?
So when I receive my hard copy I'll go and see doc....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 04:08 AM

Wow, that's totally unsatisfactory, Roxy. I think you have a valid complaint.

From this vantage point though, there's one or two that might not be so bad should you need a little help .

OGF, don't mess around with that heart of yours (Mrs. Fox would agree) , but sinus bradycardia is common in runners and other athletes. It's often seen hand-in-hand with a low resting heart rate. Lung capacity low? Did they do that right?

No worries Floydy. We all have our days. We appreciate your reports here and life does get in the way sometimes.

It was nine total hours on the road today, through the ancient foothills of the Smoky Mountains carpeted with trees just now springing back to life. With a single-minded goal of returning home before sunset, I just might have been a tad speedy today (shhhh) .

Getting my daughter settled with one hand, feeding the dogs with the other, and tossing on running clothes with yet another (you never knew I had three, did you?) I bolted out the door into the gray but warm late afternoon. With no one around but a few post-work walkers, I ran a long series of loops around the closest park. One by one, the worries of the day peeled away, and it was just me, my straining lungs, and a ribbon of pink hinting of the setting sun, just below the cloud layer and above the horizon of the longleaf pines. Five miles and an apple a day...

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
My medical screening tests came back the other day and I was pleased to see that I have the body of a 53 year old.... It works on a traffic light system where green is good, amber is cautionary and red is serious enough to visit your GP with the results. So out of about fifty or so results, forty odd were green....There were half a dozen amber ones on Cholesterol, lung capacity, red blood cell count and Blood pressure? [I always read low, but for some reason it was slightly elevated this time]

The most significant result was my heart though....I got a RED because my heart rate was 46 beats per minute and my ECG showed something called Sinus bradycardia?
So when I receive my hard copy I'll go and see doc....
That's great news about you being in better condition than I am at your new of of 53. Keep tabs on it though Bob, and let us know about this mysterious ECG condition. Hope it's nothing serious mate.

It sounds like a very thorough examination and one I wouldn't mind paying for myself come October when I reach the 55 milestone. Would you be able to give me a link via PM if poss please? I have more faith in something like than than anything the NHS want to throw at me Thanks.

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Getting my daughter settled with one hand, feeding the dogs with the other, and tossing on running clothes with yet another (you never knew I had three, did you?) I bolted out the door into the gray but warm late afternoon. With no one around but a few post-work walkers, I ran a long series of loops around the closest park. One by one, the worries of the day peeled away, and it was just me, my straining lungs, and a ribbon of pink hinting of the setting sun, just below the cloud layer and above the horizon of the longleaf pines. Five miles and an apple a day...
You do amazingly well, Suzie with all the chores and events you have to contend with. It surely helps that you are in very good condition with your fitness levels. Others would have collapsed by now. I do think that women especially have more willpower than men when it comes to sheer drive and independence to carry things through when the odds are against them. Well done on your run too, I really don't know how you fit all this in. Are you working in between too?
Good on you anyway

With me trying to get to the gym for an upper body session for over a week now, I simply MUST do this today (Tuesday), otherwise I think I'll be needing to begin again from thirty years ago to regain my physical state.
The fat is creeping back onto my midriff and my pecs are starting to droop and that's a horrendous thought!
It's surprising how much the body relies on something it's used to, even though I'm physically active at work.
I have had some trouble with my forearms, but to be perfectly honest, it's that bloody Homeland box set that's making me bone idle - something I'm not used to.
I need a kick up the jacksy please!!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 12:02 PM

Thanks Floydy and Surfermom, just replied to your posts and lost the lot....I'm gutted! Haven't got time now to repeat it so will post again later....
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 12:57 PM

@Floydy: With the help of one of the staff I figured out why a couple of the machines never seemed to record what I did, yay! I was sitting a bit too high and when, for one example, I was doing the pulldowns on the tricep machine it wasn't registering when I reached the bottom of the pulldown. That's one mystery sorted.

So what with the machines recording my reps properly I had another decent session similar to the previous one. Yesterday I did 1098 moves in the 63 minutes and burnt 483 calories! I feel so good today I was tempted to go again, but played it sensible and I'll go tomorrow instead, as I always have a rest day in between sessions.

@Surfermom: Is that nine hours of hiking you did? I am very impressed indeed, especially with all the running you do.

@OldGreyFox: It's a real PITA when that happens, isn't it. I've done it myself when clicking the 'back' button by mistake.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 08:20 PM

The pool was just empty and I got a much better picture of those steps today, the water was almost still so it was easier to see.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190319_083212.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	9079  
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
The pool was just empty and I got a much better picture of those steps today, the water was almost still so it was easier to see.
I'm very surprised that steps like these can pass a health and safety check to be honest, Roxy. It must be very easy to slip on those stone steps when they are slippery.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

20-03-2019, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
@Floydy: With the help of one of the staff I figured out why a couple of the machines never seemed to record what I did, yay! I was sitting a bit too high and when, for one example, I was doing the pulldowns on the tricep machine it wasn't registering when I reached the bottom of the pulldown. That's one mystery sorted.

So what with the machines recording my reps properly I had another decent session similar to the previous one. Yesterday I did 1098 moves in the 63 minutes and burnt 483 calories! I feel so good today I was tempted to go again, but played it sensible and I'll go tomorrow instead, as I always have a rest day in between sessions.
That's great going, Tachyon. Now finally you can get a better judgement of the machines and the work you're actually performing as it will be more accurate - and pleasantly surprising too
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

20-03-2019, 02:17 AM

I still haven't gone back to the gym. Quite honestly, this is the longest I've been away without an injury. Somehow I've suddenly got very lazy.
I'm thinking it must be the night shifts finally affecting my age and my body saying that I really do need to rest more during the day.
It's making me pretty depressed and confused to say the least
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 03:28 AM

Hi, Floydy. Thanks for the compliment. It's no great secret; you just do what you have to do. You know this full well by taking on a job with night shifts. You know I nearly became jellyfish gelatinous in January and disturbing things began to happen to my fitness and physique . What are you waiting for? The days are growing longer, the days warmer, and....it's almost bikini season! Haha, just kidding but what are you waiting for! .

Tachyon, no, unfortunately that was a nine hour drive, which is eating sorely into my workout time. No matter, I have decided to make getting back into prime (ok, that's relative ) because this summer, I actually will be hiking for several days in the Alps. Good fun that. Anyway, that was good sleuthing to figure out the issue with the rep counting. Now you can have proper bragging rights! .

Oh, well, OGF. Losing a post is like laryngitis. Sometimes silence is golden . When I ran today and was frustrated about my breathing, I was wondering...how did you come back to running after your heart attack? Did you start with short distances? Walk/run?

Getting three straight days of solid running and workouts feels a bit like a mini vacation, though in the midst of it, it feels like the hardest work I have ever done. It's made easier by sunny skies and light winds, and the voice in the back of my mind that makes me grateful for good enough health to be running. Five very hard-earned miles. Whew!

Page 267 of 370 « First < 167 217 257 265 266 267 268 269 277 317 367 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top