Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 04:40 PM

Years and Years

I've just watched my recording of this serial which started last night on BBC1. (9-10pm).

Wow!

Parts were darkly very funny, parts were sad, parts were thought-provoking, parts were a bit scary, and then..........wow!

I won't say any spoilers, in case anyone hasn't seen it yet, but I was gripped almost as much as I was during the first episode of Bodyguards.

It's semi-futuristic...just 5 or so years in the future, at the moment, anyway, so close enough to 'now' to be familiar, but a touch futuristic too.

I am deffo going to continue watching.

If you haven't seen it, and haven't recorded it, I would really recommend you watch it on catch-up, before you hear any spoilers.

NB. For the same reason, please don't give away on here what happens.
Thank you.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 04:48 PM

Re: Years and Years

Pyxell, l did see it was starting last night but thought it wouldn’t be something l would enjoy.
I don’t like things that go into the future as l am too much of a realist and l can’t find it believable
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Pyxell, l did see it was starting last night but thought it wouldn’t be something l would enjoy.
I don’t like things that go into the future as l am too much of a realist and l can’t find it believable
It's so close to now that it is perfectly believable... in fact, it's not that much different from now, in the same way as five years ago was different from now in small ways, but almost the same.

Do give it a go!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this one, Pxyell. Looks good.
I'll catch it on the iPlayer at the weekend
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
It's so close to now that it is perfectly believable... in fact, it's not that much different from now, in the same way as five years ago was different from now in small ways, but almost the same.

Do give it a go!
Pyxell, You are so persuasive! It’s downloading now!
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 10:12 PM

I thought it very good and will be watching the rest. Emma Thompson as, in effect, Katie Farage was spot on. RTD is a great writer but, in some of the less cerebral parts of the Right is anathema for many reasons so I expect a lot of pointless criticism.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

15-05-2019, 11:31 PM

Sorry, Pyxell. I didn’t like it at all.
Too depressing for me. There was no ‘feel good feeling’ for me from this episode.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2019, 03:08 PM

Didn't like the sound of it, still don't see anything to change my mind, thanks Arty!!
I've said No More Dramas...sick of 'em.
Except Mum
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

16-05-2019, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Didn't like the sound of it, still don't see anything to change my mind, thanks Arty!!
Except Mum
ruthio, I feel bad now, as you might like this series?
I have to say, there was something for everyone in it. It ticks all the boxes.
I just don’t like futuristic stuff.
Pyxell
South of England

17-05-2019, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Sorry, Pyxell. I didn’t like it at all.
Too depressing for me. There was no ‘feel good feeling’ for me from this episode.
Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Except Mum
Fair enough to you both!

I know what you mean, Ruthio, as I haven't watched a lot of the dire dramas that have been so popular in the last couple of years. I didn't even watch most of the last Line of Duty.

I don't want to watch a serial with lots of doom and gloom and violence and misery.

However, there was something about the sound of Years and Years that intrigued me, so I decided to give it a go, and was pleasantly surprised.

Another one I gave a go to the other day was The Virtues. Yes, it is about someone with a lot of history, and a lot of sadness when his young son emigrates to Oz with the ex and the ex's new partner, but there was a lot of love in it.
It stars Stephen Graham (who was the murdered John Corbett in Line of Duty), as a recovering alcoholic, and his acting was superlative.

There was a very graphic scene where, after he says goodbye to his son, he falls off the wagon big, big time. However, there is enough to intrigue me as to where the storyline will go, because he is taking off to Ireland where he had a troubled upbringing, and I want to see where the storyline goes.

Besides which, despite the sadness and bleakness, there was a small glint of hope towards the end of the first episode that was very heartening, and makes you sympathise a lot with the character.

The script and direction was first class, too.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top