Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2019, 08:31 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I passed on those garden tip to the missus RJ, she’s the gardener in this family.

This was my introduction to a new forum I joined for over 70’s, I wanted to give the impression that I’m a friend of the earth which most of them there are, they take it all very seriously and are partricular who they let join.

Whatcha think of this for an entrance then?

Hello everyone, my name is Harold Hopkins, everyone calls me Hopper so feel free to do so, I live on the side of a mountain in County Kerry. Ireland. I do my bit for the environment and try to recycle whatever I can and I’m of the opinion that nature can work alongside technology to create a harmonious partnership for the needs of today, for example, I have satellite internet via a dish I made by painstakingly sewing large dried up cow pats together using wild mountain flax as thread, I then coated the whole thing with pine tree resin and it dried rock hard in the Sun, works great but the smell is unbearable on a hot summers day and there’s nothing but shite on all the TV stations.
I had a friend who is an Eskimo and he tried to make a dish from a block of ice, took him months to carve out a hollow using seal bones as tools, when he finished his ice dish it worked for a while but then his computer froze up on him and I haven’t heard from him since, it’s possible he also froze up as he was always up on top of his igloo patching the melting holes in the dish with snowballs.
I’m a retired church warden, I used to sweep the sins out of the confession boxes after the sinners had all gone home, it was a very tough Parish in a big city so my job was not an easy one, heavy sinners the lot to them, folks should learn to recycle their sins, take them home with them in a bag and use them again and again instead of just dropping them on the confessional floor as soon as they receive absolution.
But that’s all in the past now and I’m delighted to meet you all on here, looking forward to my next project which will be making a super soundbar from a pumpkin.

Harold (Hopper) Hopkins.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2019, 09:00 AM

Ta for the gardening tips Robert..all noted and I will pass your explanation on to Japanese Knotweed who will no doubt be chuffed to bits that it's really a plant.

Thanks Harold for the ingenious recycling examples

Hope your 2 Grandaughters did not give you too much indigestion Ciderman

On a serios note

When elf n safety dictums can ban WI's cakes at a hospice of all places because WI bakers must have their kitchens environmental health approved because 'legislation is legislation', you know the end is now nigh for any form of common sense.

Some officious health and safety officer, wearing a white coat and a pair of blue plastic gloves, has decided that a hermetically sealed, mass produced cake is going to be a far safer bet, obviously ignoring the number of these product withdrawals because of wrong ingredients, broken glass, broken finger nails, metal fragments, bits of plastic and so on.

Visiting or staying in a hospice has always meant a cuppa and some tasty WI home made cake baked by a genuine cook in her no doubt spotles kitchen and not some souless great factory machine where additives are added by uncaring hands.

Mr Kipling may be smiling about this latest lunacy but there is a saying "He who laughs the last laughs the longest" because hopefully we could all throw Rock cakes at those dictums and cause a right Apple turnover.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2019, 11:41 AM

The cake situation is not the fault of H&S, its actually governed by international law, established at the Battenberg Convention.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2019, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The cake situation is not the fault of H&S, its actually governed by international law, established at the Battenberg Convention.
And there was me thinking the Batterberg Convention only dealt with deep fried fish, batter burgers, and hamburgers.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

16-05-2019, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Ta for the gardening tips Robert..all noted and I will pass your explanation on to Japanese Knotweed who will no doubt be chuffed to bits that it's really a plant.

Thanks Harold for the ingenious recycling examples

Hope your 2 Grandaughters did not give you too much indigestion Ciderman

On a serios note

When elf n safety dictums can ban WI's cakes at a hospice of all places because WI bakers must have their kitchens environmental health approved because 'legislation is legislation', you know the end is now nigh for any form of common sense.

Some officious health and safety officer, wearing a white coat and a pair of blue plastic gloves, has decided that a hermetically sealed, mass produced cake is going to be a far safer bet, obviously ignoring the number of these product withdrawals because of wrong ingredients, broken glass, broken finger nails, metal fragments, bits of plastic and so on.

Visiting or staying in a hospice has always meant a cuppa and some tasty WI home made cake baked by a genuine cook in her no doubt spotles kitchen and not some souless great factory machine where additives are added by uncaring hands.

Mr Kipling may be smiling about this latest lunacy but there is a saying "He who laughs the last laughs the longest" because hopefully we could all throw Rock cakes at those dictums and cause a right Apple turnover.

That’s ridiculous Solo, what next I wonder.

I was always lucky in the cakes stakes. I spent a lot of my boyhood with my granny who was an excellent baker, as a young girl she was a domestic in a big mansion in Liverpool owned by an MP, she was a parlour maid but she spent a lot of her time in the kitchen picking up lots of handy cooking tips.
When I married early in life my wife took charge in satisfying my love of good cakes, she still loves to bake, enjoys it she says, the two older grandchildren, who are young men at college now, call in regularly for her apple pies, cream sponges, lemon cake, scones, and all the other goodies she can turn out, God bless her hands and Odlums flour.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2019, 05:27 PM

You certainly fell on your feet there Jem. Baking seems to be another craft that is dying out and why so many cakes are now shop bought risking all these allergies.

Bake your own then you know what suits you is the obvious answer but hey I'm not banging on too much about this as look what happened to Marie Antoinette after she said "let them eat cake"
solo
UK

16-05-2019, 05:32 PM

97 was a well deserved innings for a remarkable lady. Doris Day's off screen life was anything but idyllic mainly due to an unscrupulous manager husband and his friends but nothing shook the on screen image of her as an American wholesome virgin, the girl next door, carefree and brimming with happiness

All of her films were a delight to watch and dare I say long to be like her especially when she could capture Men like James Garner so effortlessly. I emulated her for a while and captured mine, but only because I tripped him up outside a pub

Calamity Jane being a firm favourite will always stand the test of time but also as a singer she was also excellent.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 07:39 AM

Yep, that must have been how Popeye felt, when he bagged the Virgin Olive Oil.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 12:58 PM

Think about this-

My screen was blank before I typed this; however I had already thought what I was going to type. A future event, as envisaged in my thought passes quickly through the present then instantly becomes the past.Points at time being flexible, unstable even.

If the future comes first, the course of events in our lives must have been pre arranged,present, future & past become one thing, pre existing & co existing.

Finally could it be that events we now think of as past are confirmation of events which have already occurred.

What do you think?

Our grasp of what we understand as time is limited and moves forward only, or does it ?

Consider this--

What if we could step outside of time?
What if the order became, future, present and past, doesn’t seem difficult as I have already described that order above, or present and present. Any of these last scenarios p

What if the order became, future, present and past, doesn’t seem difficult as I have already described that order above, or present and present. Any of these last scenarios

time for lunch. Oh no , not guinea fowl again
solo
UK

17-05-2019, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Think about this-
If the future comes first, the course of events in our lives must have been pre arranged,present, future & past become one thing, pre existing & co existing.
Consider this--
What if we could step outside of time?
What if the order became, future, present and past, doesn’t seem difficult as I have already described that order above, or present and present.
Lot to ponder here. The last time I faced a poser like this was when myself and a few comrades were being threatened by a very dangerous mob. Then I'd wished like hell that you could simply blink and physically step out of that time and place. I suppose one day it will become possible to do so.

One things for sure that I am certain about is if my life had been pre arranged, someone sure had a wickedly warped sense of humour when they planned mine. .

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top