Join for free
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 11:13 PM

I'd like to see you....

I was wondering about avatars.

Is there any reason why so many of our members don't want to show their face?

I just think it's nice to see who you're talking to.

Surely one little picture isn't going to jeopardise their internet safety?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 11:24 PM

Re: I'd like to see you....

I've said things on here about people I know. Because I'm not identified I can say what I think. I would not speak my mind if I were identifiable. We are too relaxed about sharing our identity in a world that is hungry for just that.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 11:25 PM

Carol I don't as I don't want you to have restless nights dreaming of me
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I was wondering about avatars.

Is there any reason why so many of our members don't want to show their face?

I just think it's nice to see who you're talking to.

Surely one little picture isn't going to jeopardise their internet safety?
In my case it started as a bit of a gag fourteen years ago when I started using forums such as this. I've used my particular avatar in it's various forms ever since.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 11:58 PM

Excellent question, Carol

I understand why some people are so terrified about showing their face. Some are maybe professional people such as teachers, doctors, lawyers etc. Others may be going through a divorce or perhaps they are posting on here incognito and don't want their OH's knowing (for some reason).

Those folk have their reasons and there is nothing wrong with that. It's the others that unnerve me. What's the secrecy? Why are they wanting to be so mysterious? We're not going to steal your image for a passport are we?
And to be perfectly honest, who can trust people in an honest fashion if they are not open enough to show us what they look like? I cannot take somebody to be completely genuine if they don't I'm afraid.

Others will freely post many images of themselves out and about without a care in the world and to me that shows that they are ordinary likeable folk.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I've said things on here about people I know. Because I'm not identified I can say what I think. I would not speak my mind if I were identifiable. We are too relaxed about sharing our identity in a world that is hungry for just that.
But people may find you more honest and talk to you more freely if you were more personable, Annie?

I see people with photos of strange mathematical diagrams as their avatar and think to myself "I could never trust this person, he's not genuine".

It's only your face, so why on earth not let's see it?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Excellent question, Carol

I understand why some people are so terrified about showing their face. Some are maybe professional people such as teachers, doctors, lawyers etc. Others may be going through a divorce or perhaps they are posting on here incognito and don't want their OH's knowing (for some reason).

Those folk have their reasons and there is nothing wrong with that. It's the others that unnerve me. What's the secrecy? Why are they wanting to be so mysterious? We're not going to steal your image for a passport are we?
And to be perfectly honest, who can trust people in an honest fashion if they are not open enough to show us what they look like? I cannot take somebody to be completely genuine if they don't I'm afraid.

Others will freely post many images of themselves out and about without a care in the world and to me that shows that they are ordinary likeable folk.
Ahh, but what about those that have a pic of a face for their avatar and we believe it’s them, when it isn’t?
Maybe, they are worse than someone who doesn’t show a pic?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 12:21 AM

You are what you post, not what your avatar is. People can judge what kind of person you are by the way you present yourself in your writing.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

24-05-2019, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Ahh, but what about those that have a pic of a face for their avatar and we believe it’s them, when it isn’t?
Maybe, they are worse than someone who doesn’t show a pic?
Who would do that and why, I just don't see the purpose of that, Art?
Obviously we know somebody doesn't look like a cat for instance, but who has an avatar of another person. That's just bewildering isn't it?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

24-05-2019, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You are what you post, not what your avatar is. People can judge what kind of person you are by the way you present yourself in your writing.
Not really Judd. I'm much more comfortable knowing what a person looks like when I'm talking to them. That's why the internet will never take the place of having a real life conversation where you can see a person's mannerisms etc.
But until we get "virtual avatars" which would be like a video link, we can only have pleasant chit chat.

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top