Join for free
Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 09:03 PM

Re: French Fishermen Threaten to stop UK Exports

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
After all, Boris was Treason May's Foreign Secretary for two years during her treacherous reign, so it must be obvious he knew a lot more than he is letting on. One does not sit at the cabinet table during all that time without nodding his head in agreement at some of the proposals being put forward in that withdrawal agreement, even though he resigned in the end after having his nose put out of joint during the Chequers meeting.
In all fairness, I think that being on her Cabinet he had no option other than to agree with her demands. If not, he would just lose his job (and extra pay) and she would still have her way.

I suppose that we must have a leader, and not 'decisions by committee' as things would never get done.

What I think they should have done a long time ago, is table a motion of no-confidence in her. Unfortunately, with so many traitors in the party, that probably wouldn't get through.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2019, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
That was my question JBR, WHY did they vote it down
when it satisfied what they were asking for?
But they weren't all asking for it.

Remember that the Conservative party was split. Perhaps less than half of them wanted to leave without a deal; the majority wanted to remain, no doubt for their own benefit and that of their big business friends - and that would include Treason's husband of course.

Now she's been disposed of (and not before time), Boris might have a freer hand.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-08-2019, 09:26 PM

As for it all being the UK's fault. I cannot argue with you that we have had (and still have) the most incompetent, useless politicians I have known in all my voting years, but there is nothing I nor anyone else can do about it.
Oh yes there is!

Not immediately, of course, but at the next general election. You are perfectly correct that our present politicians (or most of them) are the worst we have ever known.

If Boris doesn't live up to expectations, we still have and option: we can vote for a different party next time. None of the established parties are worth bothering with, I'm afraid, so the best option would be a new party - the Brexit party.

Unfortunately, not all voters are sufficiently brave and forward-looking to vote for someone they have never voted for before. That is why we seem to have 'pendulum politics', and have done for a very long time.

If Boris fails, I shall certainly 'take the leap' and vote for Nigel and hope that many others would too. Perhaps if feelings are sufficiently strong, they might just do that.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 12:18 AM

Solly, we know your feelings regarding Referendums.
but we feel differently here. The results of a referendum in the UK is as sacrosanct as that of a general election. If the result does not go the way of the government's liking as it appears to do in the Netherlands, we don't assume it is not binding and then ban referendums, (and I am not saying that disrespectfully, just as I see it) Here, we expect the result to be fully respected and implemented without ado, just as we would have if the Remain vote had won. They would have been the first to expect it too.

As for it all being the UK's fault. I cannot argue with you that we have had (and still have) the most incompetent, useless politicians I have known in all my voting years, but there is nothing I nor anyone else can do about it. We have to place our trust in Boris to get us out. It is pointless laying blame any more. What is done is done. We can't undo it (although the buggers are still trying their best).

However, please do not try to place all the blame on this side of the water. It is so obvious that delaying tactics by the EU have been in evidence since the ref result, with every excuse, accusation, delaying tactic, and plotting with Varadakar by interfering with the Irish border and the Good Friday Agreement, simply hoping upon hope that Remainers would be successful in overturning the result of the referendum in the meantime.

It is the above that is an AFFRONT to democracy.
What delay are you going on about. Article 50 says that after invoking A50 you had 2 years to close a deal. Your parliament did not succeed by march 29. Till that moment there was no delay as compared with the described procedure. You could have exited.
Than the UK (!) asked for an extension, say delay, of 7 months. It was granted for ratifying the deal, nothing else. You spoiled that time.
So any and all delay comes on conto of the UK. Is that so difficult to grasp?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
What delay are you going on about. Article 50 says that after invoking A50 you had 2 years to close a deal. Your parliament did not succeed by march 29. Till that moment there was no delay as compared with the described procedure. You could have exited.
Than the UK (!) asked for an extension, say delay, of 7 months. It was granted for ratifying the deal, nothing else. You spoiled that time.
So any and all delay comes on conto of the UK. Is that so difficult to grasp?

All the EU did for most of those 2 years was tell us not enough progress had been made on paying them 39 billion quid and the irish border.

The EU wasted time because they weren't ready either. In A50 paragraph 2 it clearly states the EU must tell us what our trading relationship will be after the end if the 2 year period. We still do not have this, only a withdrawal bill to delay this even further. Its the most dreadful, awful deal the world has ever seen and quite rightly it was voted down 3 times, making history for the biggest defeat in parliament.

I believe we have a case to put forward that the EU has breached the Lisbon Treaty because of their arrogance and utter failure to comply with paragraph 2.

Now they are looking at 1 in 7 Germans out if work.

Dam shame.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 06:07 AM

I'm pretty worried about John Bercow, if anyone scuppers this it will be him. He has already vowed to do his upmost to block Boris's plan.

Does the House of Lord's have a final say on all of this ?

Unfortunately, people are beginning to brew with all the uncertainty and devious manipulations by senior politicians. I think Silver Tabby said she'd be surprised if it happens, and to be honest there is still that element of doubt.

So far as the fishing is concerned, the French have had free lunches for long enough. If we leave EU, we don't need them telling us how it will be.
There's no way back, Solasch has virtually made that clear with his rhetoric about everything, and the way the Brits are now perceived, so that's possibly the best hope atm.... nobody wants us any longer !
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I'm pretty worried about John Bercow, if anyone scuppers this it will be him. He has already vowed to do his upmost to block Boris's plan.

Does the House of Lord's have a final say on all of this ?

Unfortunately, people are beginning to brew with all the uncertainty and devious manipulations by senior politicians. I think Silver Tabby said she'd be surprised if it happens, and to be honest there is still that element of doubt.

So far as the fishing is concerned, the French have had free lunches for long enough. If we leave EU, we don't need them telling us how it will be.
There's no way back, Solasch has virtually made that clear with his rhetoric about everything, and the way the Brits are now perceived, so that's possibly the best hope atm.... nobody wants us any longer !

I thought Bercow was going to retire?
I think he said he was retiring a couple of years ago as well?
Has he got the option of choosing his retirement date by
several years?
Cant the PM get rid of the little twerp somehow?
Maybe by enforcing his his retirement date??
What do you think PD?

Regards Donkeyman!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-08-2019, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I thought Bercow was going to retire?
I think he said he was retiring a couple of years ago as well?
Has he got the option of choosing his retirement date by
several years?
Cant the PM get rid of the little twerp somehow?
Maybe by enforcing his his retirement date??
What do you think PD?
I can't believe that he can, of his own choice, remain in post indefinitely. That sounds almost like a dictatorship.

As I understand it, he was an elected MP and the power to depose him thus lies with his own electorate at the next GE.

I wonder how they feel about him dictating to, and overruling Parliament.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I can't believe that he can, of his own choice, remain in post indefinitely. That sounds almost like a dictatorship.

As I understand it, he was an elected MP and the power to depose him thus lies with his own electorate at the next GE.

He was probably parachuted into a super safe seat JBR!
Maybe theres a way of winkling him out of it?
Regards Donkeyman!
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2019, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Once elected, a Speaker continues in office until the dissolution of Parliament, unless they resign prior to this. Customarily, the House re-elects Speakers who desire to continue in office for more than one term. Theoretically, the House could vote against re-electing a Speaker, but such an event is contrary to historical convention. So someone like JRM would be in favour to maintain convention and re-elect bercow.

the current speaker decides to contest a general election, he/she does not stand under a party label, but is entitled to describe himself/herself on the ballot as The Speaker seeking re-election", under the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act. In the past, the Speaker could sometimes be returned unopposed; this has not happened in the last few decades, but they have sometimes faced opposition only from fringe candidates.

Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top