Join for free
Page 7 of 15 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2019, 11:11 PM

Re: USA 2020 - Itinerary

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Big changes today....
Nashville is now out, Chicago is back in and Las Vegas has made an appearance! Flagstaff will be a day trip from Vegas now instead of a 2 night stay.
Yay! You won't regret it!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 01:13 PM

Looks like this is my final plan:
Los Angeles - 4 nights
San Francisco - 4 nights
Las Vegas - 3 nights
Chicago - 2 nights
New York - 6 nights

Nicely workable with plenty of rest at hotels, not too much flying.
Plenty of day trips from those destinations too for Boston, New Jersey and the Grand Canyon.
Just can't wait to book it now.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Looks like this is my final plan:
Los Angeles - 4 nights
San Francisco - 4 nights
Las Vegas - 3 nights
Chicago - 2 nights
New York - 6 nights

Nicely workable with plenty of rest at hotels, not too much flying.
Plenty of day trips from those destinations too for Boston, New Jersey and the Grand Canyon.
Just can't wait to book it now.
How exciting. I love Las Vegas, stick me in your suitcase will ya

Something to really look forward to there mate, something good coming out of all those stinky night shifts.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
How exciting. I love Las Vegas, stick me in your suitcase will ya

Something to really look forward to there mate, something good coming out of all those stinky night shifts.
It took me a while to persuade my wife about Vegas but when I mentioned we could go to the Grand Canyon on a trip from there, she was more interested. We'll book a show too. It's not all about gambling, which I have no idea about anyway.

Just waiting for my pension now so I can get it all sorted out!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 03:31 PM

Hi, Floydy. I have a million and one suggestions on where to go if you have some flexibility, but it depends on what you want to see. Your itinerary is a whilrwind heavy on the iconic cities (kind of like going to the UK and seeing London and Birmingham), an exciting introduction to the US. Thrilled you are going to the Grand Canyon!

Since you are going to California, I absolutely have to agree with going to Yosemite. It will be crowded when you go, but it's beautiful. I have a few more suggestions for San Fransisco, but will talk you about that down the road. One of the most beautiful places in California is the Monterey and Carmel, which can be scenically reached in about three hours along the coast from California. They have a world class aquarium, areas where you can hike the rocky shores and explore the tide pools, and see Carmel which is rich in history and is a lovely town. A Carmel excursion would be too hard for a day trip though. It would require two days at a minimum.

If you have 3 days, I would absolutely recommend Colorado. The Rocky Mountains are breathtaking and the weather is lovely. The ski towns are fantastic in the summer - uncrowded, spectacular, and wonderful hiking, etc.

Nashville will be enjoyable since you are music fan!

Oh gosh, just looked at the time. Have to run. Will talk to you later....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-09-2019, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Hi, Floydy. I have a million and one suggestions on where to go if you have some flexibility, but it depends on what you want to see. Your itinerary is a whilrwind heavy on the iconic cities (kind of like going to the UK and seeing London and Birmingham), but it will give you a limited view of our geography and where most of us live. That, however, might be exactly what you are looking for!

Since you are going to California, I absolutely have to agree with going to Yosemite. It will be crowded when you go, but it's beautiful. I have a few more suggestions for San Fransisco, but will talk you about that down the road. One of the most beautiful places in California is the Monterey and Carmel, which can be scenically reached in about three hours along the coast from California. They have a world class aquarium, areas where you can hike the rocky shores and explore the tide pools, and see Carmel which is rich in history and is a lovely town. A Carmel excursion would be too hard for a day trip though. It would require two days at a minimum.

If you have 3 days, I would absolutely recommend Colorado. The Rocky Mountains are breathtaking and the weather is lovely. The ski towns are fantastic in the summer - uncrowded, spectacular, and wonderful hiking, etc.

Nashville will be enjoyable since you are music fan!

Oh gosh, just looked at the time. Have to run. Will talk to you later....
This is excellent, Surfermom and you know more than anyone on here about the States obviously, so I'll no doubt be contacting you more about all of this nearer the time.

I would love to visit all those wonderful places. I have three weeks but even that barely touches the surface of what I can fit into my schedule. Unfortunately, Nashville has had to be ruled out - the logistics and time simply won't work, so Chicago is in instead. I may look at Nashville to tie in with a New Orleans/Memphis trip sometime later if funds allow.

The Rockies, Yosemite, all the other places away from the cities involve a lot of walking and the problem there lies with my wife who has severe arthritis in her (previously broken) foot, so we are restricted there somewhat. We also do not wish to travel far on coaches as that would send me crazy, so most of our travelling would be via plane or train.

The cities are only going to be used for 'a base', our hotel destinations. Apart from seeing obvious sights such as Universal Studios and the nightlife of Vegas, we will be spending much of our time on the coast or around the port-side areas.

I tried to make this holiday as relaxing as possible whilst also taking in the major sights, so the hotels are limited now to five separate destinations. Living out of a suitcase isn't really our thing and that's what we didn't go on a tailor-made coach trip, preferring to do our own thing.
The only thing I will be using the travel agent for is for booking the flights and hotels as they will find the best deals, although I'm not too fussed about the cost. It's a once-in-a-lifetime vacation so we're going to enjoy it.

Buy yes, please do offer any suggestions for places to visit which are within our hotel bases, that would be very welcoming and I appreciate your advice
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 05:40 PM

Visited my daughter to day who goes to the USA a lot.

Mentioned you were going to NY which she has visited a number of times.

She recommended to go on this trip there.

But sit on the Left.

https://www.circleline.com/sightseei...q_2ZyYPAMYQYiI
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

15-09-2019, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Visited my daughter to day who goes to the USA a lot.

Mentioned you were going to NY which she has visited a number of times.

She recommended to go on this trip there.

But sit on the Left.

https://www.circleline.com/sightseei...q_2ZyYPAMYQYiI
What a great idea, Galty! I'm definitely doing this. Thank you, I'll add it to my 'things to do' list.
Just depends on my wife though as she gets sea sick on a boat. I'll send her off to Macy's!
Kristen S
New Member!
United States
Kristen S is female 

26-09-2019, 09:00 AM

California native here. Looks like you are hitting all of the highlights here. You might consider spending just a few days in LA and adding some time in San Diego or Palm Springs. Also, while in Flagstaff, you aren't far from Las Vegas. Personally, I loathe this town, but it really is a singular experience and quite different from the European sites. FYI: LA/Hollywood is the least interesting part of California. Best beaches in SoCal are in La Jolla and Encinitas. Monterey, Morro Bay, Cambria, and Solvang in Central California are quite special. When in San Francisco, take a day trip to Sonoma or Napa -wine country is amazing. If you get to Forestville in Sonoma County, visit my sister-in-law's tasting room at Woodenhead Wine...tell them Kristen sent you
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

26-09-2019, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kristen S ->
California native here. Looks like you are hitting all of the highlights here. You might consider spending just a few days in LA and adding some time in San Diego or Palm Springs. Also, while in Flagstaff, you aren't far from Las Vegas. Personally, I loathe this town, but it really is a singular experience and quite different from the European sites. FYI: LA/Hollywood is the least interesting part of California. Best beaches in SoCal are in La Jolla and Encinitas. Monterey, Morro Bay, Cambria, and Solvang in Central California are quite special. When in San Francisco, take a day trip to Sonoma or Napa -wine country is amazing. If you get to Forestville in Sonoma County, visit my sister-in-law's tasting room at Woodenhead Wine...tell them Kristen sent you
Welcome to the forum, Kristen! I only saw this by chance as I'd unsubscribed from it accidentally!

The main problem we have is that we're only going fro three weeks and need to fit in as much as we can in that short time away. San Diego was mentioned and I would like to visit for a day if we can, either from San Francisco or L.A.

We did originally intend to stay at Flagstaff for the Grand Canyon but we are now staying in Las Vegas instead (as noted a few posts back). This will see a day trip to the canyon and see Vegas fro three nights.

I've made a note of all of those other places you kindly mention and we'll see what we get around to visiting.

Thank you for your interest. Hope you enjoy the rest of the forum

Page 7 of 15 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top