Join for free
Page 320 of 370 « First < 220 270 310 318 319 320 321 322 330 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 02:28 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
You know, Lion Queen, that's an even better idea. Join the council leisure centre!
There are six different pools and gyms run by Hull's Council and you get a 'Tonic' card, for about £20 as you said.
I'm thinking of when I'm back on days and I have more time. My gym doesn't have a pool, so the council places (of which there is one five minutes' walk away) would be fantastic for a swim after a quick workout after work.
Thanks for this idea!
My pleasure mate!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 02:49 PM

Hi, LQ. What a smart move to change your membership! With the challenges you've had this last year, your fitness is more important than other.

That said, even if you had to give up the membership because of cost, there are ways you can stay fit without the cost. Unable to leave the house for several years, I had to get by with a yoga mat, an aerobic step, and running shoes!

No matter what, exercise and a healthy diet should stay at the top of your list, and you have to stay true to whatever works for you, which I am currently have to tell the woman in the mirror.

Which, Floydy brings me to my next thoughts. I know you are having to change your way of thinking with your hernia and back issues Though it takes a little extra time, I've never worked out with anything more than a set of five pounders, usually three.It's a massive paradigm shift, but if you have to alter your workouts down the road, there is no reason you can't be fit last a fiddle. You might even think about something different altogether like cycling! Until then, please go easy. We are all concerned.

Tachyon,
I hope that wherever this finds you that you are enjoying the fruits of your labor. It's wonderful to get away! Safe travels.

Well, OGF, I'm still running, but it's been like trying to find a sliver of light in the storm to get it done. Between taking care of my mom, doing some advanced biology tutoring, and just trying to get caught up around here, I've had to skip a day or two . The last thing I told my mom was that I was on my way back to Florida to launch Project Me, after realizing that my good habits were slipping by letting a day here or there slip away to help everyone else. I know better. Last night I ran with a beautiful scarlet sunset over my shoulder and my mental To Do lists far, far away. How is your foot? Concerned about you.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2019, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

Well, OGF, I'm still running, but it's been like trying to find a sliver of light in the storm to get it done. Between taking care of my mom, doing some advanced biology tutoring, and just trying to get caught up around here, I've had to skip a day or two . The last thing I told my mom was that I was on my way back to Florida to launch Project Me, after realizing that my good habits were slipping by letting a day here or there slip away to help everyone else. I know better. Last night I ran with a beautiful scarlet sunset over my shoulder and my mental To Do lists far, far away. How is your foot? Concerned about you.
Good to hear you're still treading the roads and tracks Surfermom, despite all the obstacles you have had to contend with just lately....You certainly are a determined young lady....

Ah yes, the foot..... For the last couple of weeks it has been slowly improving and running has been virtually unaffected. Yesterday it ached so much that I was almost limping at times. Fortunately Saturday was a rest day, but I didn't hold much hope out for my Sunday run. Miraculously, I set off in earnest this morning, and after a mile or two was running happy with no pain. I decided six miles would be sufficient though instead of my usual eight.....

So.......To What do I owe the recent onset of pain?
After my Friday five I walked four miles later in the day wearing those now well worn New Balance running shoes. We discussed how flat shoes might just have some long term implications, I believe I have discovered what they are......I've always considered them racing shoes by their light design, thin midsoles and flat bottoms. Indeed, I have clipped many a minute off my best times on several well run courses, but I fear it's payback time....

They were retired from running earlier in the year, but felt it would be alright to walk in them because they were so comfy. I'm glad to report that I shall now return to more substantial walking shoes and see if I was right.....This is the first time in all my years of running that I've been affected with Plantar, so let's hope it was the shoes.....

You and Floydy have probably got enough on your plates without me going on about running shoes and small aches, so I wish you both well and will report back when this monotonous life of mine turns up something exciting..........again!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2019, 04:53 AM

LQ, somehow I missed your post. How is it going? Are you swimming?

OGF, I am hoping that the problem is as simple as your shoes. It makes sense to me. My one very painful bout with it was due to running the beach barefooted for several months. Now I run the beach with substantial running shoes even if it means getting them soaked! Those arches have to be propped up more and more as we get older, and as I have noticed lately, we lose some of the fat on the bottom of our feet. Strange, isn't it!

I am running, but mostly in circles! I have driven 5,000 miles this week and won't bore you with the details, except to say that I've been pulling into the garage or hotel, well after dark leaving me with no greater desire than to collapse into bed.

That said, I was able to push through five today, though the temperatures and humidity here are still soaring. The one thing I am noticing though is that instead of running clearing my mind, the wheels are spinning. What's with that ?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

13-09-2019, 03:57 AM

Hooray! Another five miles down the road and I am dog tired but happy. This is the toughest time of year to run, but that also makes the most satisfying. Each completion d.is a tiny victory of nature who is beating me in the mirror, but giving me a break in the great outdoors. I'll take it!

I've been busy tutoring a student and trying to spend my rare week at home starting to simplify, simplify. Why do we accumulate so much stuff? When I first moved here, my things were in storage for almost two years. Aside from a few items, I realized that not only did I not miss them, I couldn't name most of what was in the boxes before I re-opened them. It really is just - stuff.

I did step aerobics watching Bosch on Netflix, but I tripped and nearly fell off when I got a good look at him with his shirt off Maybe I should be watching the new for the sake of my health....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 10:52 AM

Just popping in to be polite and sociable, obviously I can't really do much in the way of exercise right now, though I am planning to work around my hernia by trying out some exercise on areas which shouldn't affect the pain in any way. Push-ups could make a welcome return, if I wasn't getting so lazy at the moment!

Bob - you're still doing great with your running. Those little blips you get with your foot must be irritating, Bob, but being a seasoned runner you know it is only temporary and without making the issue worse you still can put a healthy few miles in. Well done bud

Suzie - Thanks for the kind words
It must feel good to be able to relax occasionally in between driving so much and looking after your family. You do a great job there. You always amaze me with your energy and determination. To take on board a student too must be a nice and pleasant challenge and another string to your bow.
Watch out for those videos with shirtless men though! We'll have Bob appearing here soon only in shorts!

Tachyon - you doing okay bud?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 11:42 AM

Not even with shorts on Floydy.........Damn that Mrs Fox....

Good to see you in here Floydy and thanks for the comment...
Sorry you're not able to participate yet but the rest will do you good and I know you will be back fighting fit once your hernia has been sorted out. In the couple of months following my Heart Attack it was so frustrating not to be able to run, but I never once doubted that I wouldn't return to running at some level eventually, and I reckon you are just the same Floydy....Enjoy the rest and try to keep mobile as best you can, and in a years time you will wonder what all the fuss was about...

I'm still getting a bit of a twinge in my heel from time to time but it hasn't stopped me from getting out. I've put some inserts into my slippers (I know, but I wear them most of the time at home) and I think they are doing some good, at least it's not getting any worse.....

A strange morning this morning, very still and overcast, and a bit on the warm side and very dark with a massive black cloud stretching out in every direction it looked like a scene from 'Independence Day'.....

I adopted a very relaxed pace and left the busy road in the village for the peace and quiet of the country. At the four mile mark I automatically took the turn off for my eight mile route, I think I felt guilty for only running six miles last Sunday. Except for the last two miles I didn't see a car or a person, and thoughts were in abundance while stepping out the miles......

At one and a half miles to go I spied another runner coming towards me, it wasn't until we passed that I recognised Mark the Boiler Man....He installed my new boiler a few years ago and now pops in annually to service it. We had spoke about our love of running, but it was the first time I'd actually seen him out on the road. I suppose a youngish bloke with his own business has to fit his running in where he can.....

I was quite pleased he was going the other way, I don't think I could have kept up with his expeditious pace, and I certainly couldn't have held a conversation....Twenty years ago it would have been him hanging breathless onto my tee shirt....

Anyway, I stumbled on to finish in a reasonable time and was just happy to have got round an eight miler and still be able to tell the tale....
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 07:38 PM

Thank the gods I am back... I am so fed up. The "holiday" turned into a shambles early on the first morning of our stay. I had decided to have a slow start to the day after our trip there the previous day, so I thought a 9am wakeup on a Saturday was not unreasonable. When I was finished getting ready my phone rang and it was my mother's phone calling me but with a man saying my mother had suddenly become dizzy and had fallen backwards, landing hard on the wet sand while walking on the beach with the dog. She'd left on her own without even telling me!! It took a coastguard 4x4 to get her off the beach to a waiting ambulance, an hour's drive to hospital and then a 6 hour wait in A&E for various tests. She hadn't broken anything but the soft tissue damage to her right shoulder meant she was in a lot of pain and couldn't even use the arm.

We came back home on Monday, then an ambulance arrived at 5pm to take her for some tests to ensure she hadn't had a TIA which caused the dizziness. We were in the hospital another 6 hours and got home at 1am on Tuesday. Since then I have been at her place keeping an eye on her and I am worn out. I'll see what tomorrow brings but after having my gym stuff in my backpack three times and not getting there I am absolutely determined I will be there tomorrow. My sanity needs it. I have told my mother there is no chance in hell we are going on any more "holidays" henceforth. I am off for a long soak in the bath and an early night because I'm shattered. A whiskey nightcap might also be a feature.

Take care all, no matter what you get up to.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Thank the gods I am back... I am so fed up. The "holiday" turned into a shambles early on the first morning of our stay. I had decided to have a slow start to the day after our trip there the previous day, so I thought a 9am wakeup on a Saturday was not unreasonable. When I was finished getting ready my phone rang and it was my mother's phone calling me but with a man saying my mother had suddenly become dizzy and had fallen backwards, landing hard on the wet sand while walking on the beach with the dog. She'd left on her own without even telling me!! It took a coastguard 4x4 to get her off the beach to a waiting ambulance, an hour's drive to hospital and then a 6 hour wait in A&E for various tests. She hadn't broken anything but the soft tissue damage to her right shoulder meant she was in a lot of pain and couldn't even use the arm.

We came back home on Monday, then an ambulance arrived at 5pm to take her for some tests to ensure she hadn't had a TIA which caused the dizziness. We were in the hospital another 6 hours and got home at 1am on Tuesday. Since then I have been at her place keeping an eye on her and I am worn out. I'll see what tomorrow brings but after having my gym stuff in my backpack three times and not getting there I am absolutely determined I will be there tomorrow. My sanity needs it. I have told my mother there is no chance in hell we are going on any more "holidays" henceforth. I am off for a long soak in the bath and an early night because I'm shattered. A whiskey nightcap might also be a feature.

Take care all, no matter what you get up to.
Oh Tachyon, I'm so sorry to hear this bud. What an awful thing to happen to your mother and to ruin your holiday
I guess the main thing is that your mum is relatively okay, it could have been so much worse.

Enjoy your bath and yes, definitely have a whiskey and maybe watch a light-hearted DVD or something?

Gym tomorrow for you definitely though. Thrash it out in there and let's just hope you can manage some time away again soon.

Take care bud

Oh just another note....
Bob! What on earth are you doing in that picture?!! Surfermom will be having serious hot flushes when she sees you in all your glory! You need keeping an eye on methinks!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

17-09-2019, 05:59 PM

I visited the gym his evening for 15-20 minutes. Just a little light exercise just to see what aggravates the hernia and what I'm comfortable with. I didn't exert myself at all but it's good to see I can still exercise a little and get myself out which is the main thing.

I tried the treadmill but the hernia 'lump' soon moved from its place and I had to quit. So walking on that isn't a good idea.

I did some light dumbbell lifting, just sat on the edge of a bench and curling a tiny 14kg weight a few times from the floor to my shoulder. This was okay and if I positioned the weight inside my knee muscle it kept my lower abdomen out of the equation.
I also did some tricep pulldowns and was fine on those too.
I think if I stick to seated exercises I'll be okay doing a short session each day just to keep my upper body active.
I haven't done any leg weight training at all for three weeks now but I will see if that's possible tomorrow.
Step by step I'll get there!

Page 320 of 370 « First < 220 270 310 318 319 320 321 322 330 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top