Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 09:52 AM

Re: From scratch

I enjoy cooking, but yes curry paste or powder is a convenience.

A few days ago, for the first time, I used a thing called a "curry kit" absolutely delish ...

The box contains a fat sachet of paste and a thinner sachet of coconut powder.

The instructions said ... add water, chicken & potato, serve with rice.

So ... that's another thing, I bend the rules and add carrot and celery too.
CoffeeCake
Northamptonshire
CoffeeCake is female  CoffeeCake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I saw this thread and thought, yes I do like to cook everything from scratch. But then I started thinking too much about it and realised there is a limit to what from scratch means. Because we don't make many "ingredients"ourselves. So say if you add cheese to a dish, well that's a processed food, tabasco sauce in fajita, cheesecake bases made with ground digestive biscuits, pad thai with shop brought noodles.

If you ever watch "come dine with me" some guests make a big deal about how they make their own mayonnaise or pesto or stock.

Has anyone here ever made their own filo pastry?
I have made many Vienna apple strudels over the years with proper strudel pastry which is made the same way as filo. Does that count.
I find cooking and baking relaxing but don’t always have the time. When I cook for friends I try to make as much from scratch as possible though and that included mayonnaise, gravy made from home made stock and so on.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 12:11 AM

I'm very impressed with how many posters make their own mayonnaise. I must look it up and try myself sometime.

The last and only time I made filo pastry was at school during home economics. I have come across recipes which include filo but instead of instructions they always advise buying it ready made!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 11:16 AM

I made a chicken pasta bake from scratch last night.

The good thing about that is....you know exactly what ingredients are in your dish.

Chicken strips rubbed in paprika,then fried..my own bechamel sauce,Dijon mustard,Parmesan ,cheddar cheese,onion,pasta..a very simple dish...

Pre made sauce loaded with sugar and salt....same as Chinese takeaway ..so much salt....you need to drink throughout the night...yuck!.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I made a chicken pasta bake from scratch last night.

Hi

The good thing about that is....you know exactly what ingredients are in your dish.

Chicken strips rubbed in paprika,then fried..my own bechamel sauce,Dijon mustard,Parmesan ,cheddar cheese,onion,pasta..a very simple dish...

Pre made sauce loaded with sugar and salt....same as Chinese takeaway ..so much salt....you need to drink throughout the night...yuck!.

Hi

If you are such an expert, explain how you make an authentic Thai Saffron Sauce for less than £30 with fresh ingredients.

Saffron is incredibly expensive, it is £10 per Gram for the good stuff.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

If you are such an expert, explain how you make an authentic Thai Saffron Sauce for less than £30 with fresh ingredients.

Saffron is incredibly expensive, it is £10 per Gram for the good stuff.

Who said I was an expert?

I am a good cook!....been told it many times.

Just like you are or were a good enforcement officer...how many times have you told us that?..at every opportunity you get,

I don't like your attitude..look your sauce up yourself...
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
A meal..or anything that requires cooking/baking..

From scratch for me every time....you just can not beat that taste.
I agree. My dear wife is an excellent cook (among other things) but some/many of her recipes come from the US of A.

My only contribution to the process is measurement conversions from Imperial to SI.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

08-11-2019, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I enjoy cooking, but yes curry paste or powder is a convenience.

A few days ago, for the first time, I used a thing called a "curry kit" absolutely delish ...

The box contains a fat sachet of paste and a thinner sachet of coconut powder.

The instructions said ... add water, chicken & potato, serve with rice.

So ... that's another thing, I bend the rules and add carrot and celery too.

I make my own curry sauce..but still haven't mastered the flavour....

So I am going to enroll on a Indian cookery course..darn expensive these courses are.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

08-11-2019, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I agree. My dear wife is an excellent cook (among other things) but some/many of her recipes come from the US of A.

My only contribution to the process is measurement conversions from Imperial to SI.

Why not grams,Besoeker ?..or kg?

I measure usually in grams,or kg...depends on the recipe.
I also measure in cups as well.

But mostly grams.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 05:10 PM

Thai saffron sauce sounds delicious, but I thought the thread isn't about cost.

Cooking from scratch sometimes works out cheaper but often doesn't and imo it's more about quality and taste than economy. Also the pure enjoyment of creating something extraordinary from the simplest ingredients.

The worst thing I've cooked from scratch was moussaka. Delicious but incredibly complicated hard work.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top