Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 06:30 PM

Re: Ink cartridges

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have a canon colour printer, the branded cartriges cost more to buy than the printer so I buy the cheap cartridges off Amazon and they serve the purpose.
It's worth checking whether the Printer Manufacturer has a clause in the warranty which says that the warranty is invalid if genuine cartridges are not used.

However, in the case of a Canon Printer (which I have) the purchase price of the printer was only about 30 quid.

That means that you'll probably break even if you cost the printer against the savings on the ink, over about 2-3 cartridges..

I'll just buy a new printer if mine dies.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by tedc ->
it's worth checking whether the printer manufacturer has a clause in the warranty which says that the warranty is invalid if genuine cartridges are not used.

However, in the case of a canon printer (which i have) the purchase price of the printer was only about 30 quid.

That means that you'll probably break even if you cost the printer against the savings on the ink, over about 2-3 cartridges..

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
It's worth checking whether the Printer Manufacturer has a clause in the warranty which says that the warranty is invalid if genuine cartridges are not used.

However, in the case of a Canon Printer (which I have) the purchase price of the printer was only about 30 quid.

Ted my printer is about 10 years old so a warranty is irrelevant.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 09:39 PM

I ditched my printer ten years ago when I retired.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 10:31 AM

I've had Epson printers where the ink clogs easily in the printheads. Masses of cleaning cycles used a lot of ink. I wouldn't get another Epson. Also a Canon that broke mechanically for no good reason. I paid quite a lot for these printers too.

I now have an inexpensive HP 'all-in-one'. I've had it a good few years and it's still working well. I buy the genuine inks for it since I do so little printing ..well, up to now anyway.

I might have to think again because Mrs mart has recently started printing downloaded colourful craft patterns and templates. If she keeps that up, ink usage could become an issue.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I've had Epson printers where the ink clogs easily in the printheads. Masses of cleaning cycles used a lot of ink. I wouldn't get another Epson. Also a Canon that broke mechanically for no good reason. I paid quite a lot for these printers too.

I now have an inexpensive HP 'all-in-one'. I've had it a good few years and it's still working well. I buy the genuine inks for it since I do so little printing ..well, up to now anyway.

I might have to think again because Mrs mart has recently started printing downloaded colourful craft patterns and templates. If she keeps that up, ink usage could become an issue.
Maybe I'll get a HP printer then, Mart.
It's not the initial cost of the printer I'm bothered about, it's (a) the cost of replacement cartridges and (b) if the ink lasts a decent length of time.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 11:16 AM

Yes, this is the trouble with all these printers Floydy and why people use compatible ink cartridges. I have used compatibles fairly successfully in the past when I used to print photos on an inkjet printer. I don't do that any more, so ink usage has been minimal. That's why I haven't bothered about getting compatibles for it.

My impression is that the genuine inks are better but i expect the quality of compatible inks depends on where you order them from. If not doing much printing, perhaps get genuine inks but I only say that because it's what I do myself at present.

The craft papers Mrs mart prints use a lot of ink. If she's going to keep this up, I might have to start looking into compatibles again myself.

We use a dye-sub printer if we want to print photos. The cost per print is more expensive but I think they give much better quality than inkjet printers and the prints are more permanent (they don't fade over a time).
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 12:41 PM

As I mentioned earlier, we use a colour laser printer.
It is excellent for text and diagrams and the toner is permanent and doesn't fade.
As they state freely, it is not particularly good for photographs, although we have occasionally printed a few. They're not bad, actually, though a professional would disagree.
The other advantage is that, although the toner cartridges are more expensive than ink, they do last a very long time and there is no worry about blocking up if left for long periods.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 01:09 PM

HP have, in the past, introduced ‘cartridge protection’ systems on their original ink cartridges to lock the genuine inks to a specific printer so that that cartridge cannot be used in any other printer.

Compatible (re-manufactured) ink cartridges have then been "locked out" when used in other printers.

AFAIK, this practice has been discontinued but, occasionally, I still have problems with HP cartridges (probably because my HP printer is a few years old). Different compatible suppliers take different approaches to resolution but I usually end up with working replacements.

My Epson printer is newer and has rejected only a couple of cartridges.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Yes, this is the trouble with all these printers Floydy and why people use compatible ink cartridges. I have used compatibles fairly successfully in the past when I used to print photos on an inkjet printer. I don't do that any more, so ink usage has been minimal. That's why I haven't bothered about getting compatibles for it.

My impression is that the genuine inks are better but i expect the quality of compatible inks depends on where you order them from. If not doing much printing, perhaps get genuine inks but I only say that because it's what I do myself at present.

The craft papers Mrs mart prints use a lot of ink. If she's going to keep this up, I might have to start looking into compatibles again myself.

We use a dye-sub printer if we want to print photos. The cost per print is more expensive but I think they give much better quality than inkjet printers and the prints are more permanent (they don't fade over a time).
You are quite right - not all compatible ink cartridges are of the same quality, even from the same supplier. They may not suit someone who is looking for consistent, "professional" results, particularly for photos.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top