Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 02:49 PM

Re: Ink cartridges

Originally Posted by Omah ->
HP have, in the past, introduced ‘cartridge protection’ systems on their original ink cartridges to lock the genuine inks to a specific printer so that that cartridge cannot be used in any other printer.

Compatible (re-manufactured) ink cartridges have then been "locked out" when used in other printers.

AFAIK, this practice has been discontinued but, occasionally, I still have problems with HP cartridges (probably because my HP printer is a few years old). Different compatible suppliers take different approaches to resolution but I usually end up with working replacements.

My Epson printer is newer and has rejected only a couple of cartridges.
I'm no expert, of course, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a relatively easy way to bypass the sensors in the printers which check the type of cartridge inserted. It would then, presumably, accept any cartridge which fits.

Of course, this wouldn't be done until the initial warranty period is over.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm no expert, of course, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a relatively easy way to bypass the sensors in the printers which check the type of cartridge inserted. It would then, presumably, accept any cartridge which fits.
There are "chips" in the cartridges - they may need to be reconfigured/disabled.

There are, indeed, ways to bypass printer controls but they don't work with all HP printers (there are so many types).

e.g.:

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/h...kjet-cartridge

Reset HP Ink Cartridges With Chips

Instead of relying on the printer to store page counts, late-model HP printers often have a chip right on the cartridge for this. Those are a bit trickier. Depending on the age of your printer's software, it might simply give you the option of overriding the driver and telling it to treat it as new. That's a change the company made in response to legal pressure from unhappy customers.

Otherwise, you'll need to pop off the factory chip with a small screwdriver, or similar tool, and replace it with a third-party "auto reset chip," or ARC. Those are available with or without ink level monitoring, and they'll let you use your refilled cartridges without a fuss.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 06:37 PM

There are "chips" in the cartridges - they may need to be reconfigured/disabled.

There are, indeed, ways to bypass printer controls but they don't work with all HP printers (there are so many types).

e.g.:

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/h...kjet-cartridge
I thought that removing the sensors in the printer (or bypassing them) might be a preferable and permanent solution enabling the use of any cartridge whether genuine or third party.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I thought that removing the sensors in the printer (or bypassing them) might be a preferable and permanent solution enabling the use of any cartridge whether genuine or third party.
That's something I wouldn't consider in case it caused the printer to malfunction .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-11-2019, 06:51 PM

That's something I wouldn't consider in case it caused the printer to malfunction .....
Yes, I suppose the manufacturers must have considered that as well.

If I was after a new printer, I think the best thing I could do would be to look for one which doesn't include such things.

It's just the same as saying, "You can use our printer, but you must pay excessive amounts to use our own cartridges." That sounds like blackmail to me.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top