Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 12:58 PM

Smart TVs

I've had my new Smart LG television a few months now but as nowadays things don't seem to come with instructions I haven't a clue how I use the many features so only use the Freeview channels. Record/save/rewind etc etc
Does anyone have any info on these? Do I need to connect it to the Internet using a cable, or is it wifi?
Any hints will be gratefully received!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 01:34 PM

Re: Smart TVs

I moved my router next to my TV so that the TV can be plugged into the router with a cable. If you want to go wireless, you may have to plug a Wi-Fi `dongle` into one of the TV's HDMI ports. This dongle needs a power supply in order for it to work.

If your internet router is fairly close, I would go for the cable option.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 02:25 PM

Hi Xandra the instructions for use on many of these these things can often be found listed on the menu button on the remote control. The instructions are often quite detailed and easy to follow.

Also try putting the make and model of your TV and the word instructions into a Google search that often brings results.

My TV (via a PVR box) connects to my Router in the hall, I drilled a hole through the skirting board from sitting room to hall and ran a cable along the side of the carpet covered by a rug.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 03:03 PM

Thank you very much Judd and Meg.
It seems to have a facility for record, pause, save which I've never used, I'm not sure what else it can do.
My router is close by so could use a cable, is the Internet needed to use any of these extra features?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 03:52 PM

Hi

I have had one for some time.

Never used all the facilities.

Since my son has been home, it has been a revolution.
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 08:06 PM

I use our smart tv a lot (for marital harmony due to differing viewing tastes we have two tvs but "mine" is the smart one )

I don't use a lot of the functions either but it is great for catch up tv and iplayer, plus a lot of dramas etc show one or 2 episodes and then you are told you can watch the rest on demand.
Ours is connected by wifi, the router is in the room above but no cables or dongles needed (I'm not sure I even know what a dongle is but I've always liked the name )

It is very annoying when you get a new appliance especially anything techy and there is no instruction manual and you are told it's online...not very helpful if it's a new computer you are trying to set up!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
Thank you very much Judd and Meg.
It seems to have a facility for record, pause, save which I've never used, I'm not sure what else it can do.
My router is close by so could use a cable, is the Internet needed to use any of these extra features?
You can download 'Apps' to make use of features. For example I needed an app to use Disney Plus and another to view Youtube (actually can't remember if I had to download it in the first place or whether it was built in like Netflix).

My Sony TV uses Android as an operating system so it also updates its software via the Internet, it has done that once since I bought it last November (it does ask).

These days it is almost essential to connect things like TVs to the house LAN and thence the Internet. Fortunately, when my kids were at school, I wired up the whole house with Cat5 cable so every room has a feed from my NBN router.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-11-04 13.09.47.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	11604  
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2020, 08:04 AM

It could be just me but, when the internet trips out on the TV, unlike the Computer which has an obvious operating system, it is no easy feat to restore.
Xandra
United Kingdom

13-02-2020, 04:17 PM

Maybe it would be easier to buy some sort of recorder and leave out the Internet.
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2020, 05:01 PM

We use a Humax recorder it's brilliant

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top