Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 09:23 PM

Re: Boiler.

Nothing wrong with those readings Caricature and yes, I am OK thanks. Hope that you are too.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yikes.... microbre. I always refused to touch it. It was so fragile and the manifold was always somewhere where you couldn't get to it.
I agree LD and normally, if the system is 'sludged', you can't have a powerflush.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yikes.... microbre. I always refused to touch it. It was so fragile and the manifold was always somewhere where you couldn't get to it.
Talking of which, we have one room supplied by microbore - the conservatory. As I understand it, it is illegal to have a radiator in a conservatory attached to the regular heating system in the rest of the house - I think!

On the other hand, we rarely have that radiator turned on, as it's rather pointless. In summer it isn't needed and in winter it wouldn't make much difference, not that we use the conservatory in the winter anyway.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
I agree LD and normally, if the system is 'sludged', you can't have a powerflush.
Ah! So is the only solution to replace the radiators affected?
gasman
Kent, UK

23-02-2020, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Talking of which, we have one room supplied by microbore - the conservatory. As I understand it, it is illegal to have a radiator in a conservatory attached to the regular heating system in the rest of the house - I think!

On the other hand, we rarely have that radiator turned on, as it's rather pointless. In summer it isn't needed and in winter it wouldn't make much difference, not that we use the conservatory in the winter anyway.
I must admit, I have never heard that one before. As for being illegal, I assume you mean against the 'rules'. Gas Safe 'rules' do not apply to anything else apart from gas.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-02-2020, 09:53 PM

I must admit, I have never heard that one before. As for being illegal, I assume you mean against the 'rules'. Gas Safe 'rules' do not apply to anything else apart from gas.
I can't remember where, but I think I read it somewhere some time ago.
It doesn't matter, though. I don't stick to all the rules!
gasman
Kent, UK

23-02-2020, 09:55 PM

Ah! So is the only solution to replace the radiators affected?
If most of your radiators are OK, you could replace just the ones that are causing problems / rusty. In which case, you have two choices.
1. Drain and flush the whole system. Replace rads and defective valves. Refill the system, add a cleaner, run the system as recommended by the manufacturer. Drain, flush and refill the system. Add inhibitor.
2. Exchange radiator(s) add cleaner. Drain and flush - add inhibitor.
Personally, I always prefer No1.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 10:10 PM

Nothing wrong with those readings Caricature and yes, I am OK thanks. Hope that you are too.
Yep fine thanks,thanks for the boiler reply.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 10:11 PM

Yes, we recently invested in Hive. Quite a reasonable price from Amazon and included thermostat, receiver and hub.

Our old controls included a room thermostat with which we could adjust the temperature, but the on/off times had to be adjusted on the boiler which is out in the garage - an inconvenient trek out the front down the garden path and back up the drive which was not very nice in the cold winter weather!

All can now be done from the Hive thermostat, or our mobile phones anywhere with an internet connection.
Thanks.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-02-2020, 10:18 PM

If most of your radiators are OK, you could replace just the ones that are causing problems / rusty. In which case, you have two choices.
1. Drain and flush the whole system. Replace rads and defective valves. Refill the system, add a cleaner, run the system as recommended by the manufacturer. Drain, flush and refill the system. Add inhibitor.
2. Exchange radiator(s) add cleaner. Drain and flush - add inhibitor.
Personally, I always prefer No1.
Thanks. That's food for thought.
If no. 1, does that mean you drain and flush twice, or have I misunderstood?

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top