Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 10:00 PM

Keeping Busy in Isolation

Covid 19 is officially a pandemic today

What will you do all day to keep yourself busy if the UK goes ahead with telling as many people as possible to stay at home?

If you are in a country where this has already been brought in..what have you been doing to keep yourself busy?

Thought it may help others with ideas if they suddenly can't have visitors (due to their age/medical status) and having to face long periods with no actual contact with others.

Susan
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 10:05 PM

Re: Keeping Busy in Isolation

Susa, I thought that today. It will be like a bad snow season where you can’t get out.
We will all suffer with cabin fever!

I’m sure there will be lots to do indoors like.....lolling about, watching tv and searching the cupboards for something nice!
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Susa, I thought that today. It will be like a bad snow season where you can’t get out.
We will all suffer with cabin fever!

I’m sure there will be lots to do indoors like.....lolling about, watching tv and searching the cupboards for something nice!
I have been snowed in for 2 weeks solid. snow so thick I couldn't get scooter up the drive and down to the nearest main road (which had been cleared). I did have a dog then too so just sat in doorway throwing snowballs until I got too cold then we'd have another play before it went dark.

I did miss being able to go for a daily walk though even though I rarely leave the immediate area I'm lucky to live between 2 lakes and alot of playing fields so we go for a different walk every day of the week. It does help to break up the day.

..having to find something for the dog to do too passes more time. I like the adult colouring books. I probably should use the time to have a good sort out but have had high pain levels recently and severe fatigue so it's often all I can manage to find the energy to make sure my dogs daily needs are met.

My knees have been swelling up alot recently after been up a while so have to lie down with legs raised throughout the day to ease the pain for a bit. I can't really colour easily laying on back with legs up!

I try and do a bit of gentle exercises and stretches if the pain isn't too bad

On a good day I might manage to get my head together enough to do a bit of bulk cooking so I have stews, curries and chilli's I can freeze for days I don't have the energy to manage more than microwave something!
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 10:37 PM

I have to move about with a walking stick ,even indoors ,can’t stand long enough to make the kind of meals I read about in here but then I lost interest in cooking a long , long time ago .
So how will I pass the days? Same as when there’s been a heavy snowfall I suppose but that was some years ago . I don’t watch daytime tv , only read in bed so it’s going to be difficult . Thought about buying some jigsaws last night .
Susan68
Up North, UK

11-03-2020, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I have to move about with a walking stick ,even indoors ,can’t stand long enough to make the kind of meals I read about in here but then I lost interest in cooking a long , long time ago .
So how will I pass the days? Same as when there’s been a heavy snowfall I suppose but that was some years ago . I don’t watch daytime tv , only read in bed so it’s going to be difficult . Thought about buying some jigsaws last night .
Well I cook from sitting.. either on the rollator seat or the wheelchair depends how bad the pain is.

The rollator is handy cos then you can put the food on a tray on the seat and push it into another room. when its not too painful for me to walk with it I do that. If not I have to use the wheelchair even just to get from room to room, thats when the healthy pre-cooked slow cooker meals come in handy I just get them out to defrost and just microwave them later.

do you like art and crafts? I like watercolour and sometimes just colouring a pre-drawn picture in a colouring book is relaxing. I'm also trying to improve my sketching skills so I can do my own pictures of local nature.

A family member who can knit, now knits squares for a local dementia group and they add bells and ribbons to each square. The people with severe dementia like to sit holding them and feeling the textures etc.

Maybe use the time to learn a new hobby?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 11:01 PM

Go into the Garden, do an online Sudoko, throw a ball for the dog, do some work on my motorbike.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 11:07 PM

I feel so sorry for those who can't get about too well, it must create so many problems for you.
I would gladly help if I was your neighbour.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 11:12 PM

Providing one is not passing on an infection there is no need to be restricted to a room, the open air can absorb germs.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

11-03-2020, 11:13 PM

And can be beneficial to the sufferer.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Providing one is not passing on an infection there is no need to be restricted to a room, the open air can absorb germs.

Yes, that's true Spitty.
One could still get in the garden on a sunny day.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top