Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 11:40 AM

ever deleted a wanted photo in camera ?

Yes it does happen I should know. However there are ways of retrieving a photo if only deleted and not formatted.
Sandisk memory cards , the ones I use, come with a paper code lasts for a year, again i have a sandisk recovery disc. It amazes me what is still on the memory card i thought had wiped clean.
doesn't wok with a camera with buit in memory I don't think, you need a memory card

Now a little tip (as usual)
If someone objects to a photo you have taken for any reason, be it accidently of a child or a protected building, just delete the photo in front of them. The majority of the public do not realise that photo can be recovered if only deleted. They go away happy and no confrontation.

The easiest way to explain is if you have a book and asked to remove the sleeve/cover the contents are still inside. Same with a photo the picture goes but the data stays to be recovered
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 11:54 AM

Re: ever deleted a wanted photo in camera ?

Yes realspeed, I believe the hard drive of your computer is the same. When you delete something it only deletes the title so it can't be found. It has to be 'overwritten' to delete it properly and this can only be done when your hard drive is full and it starts to overwrite what's already on....

That's how the police can see what you've been doing on your computer when you think it's been deleted. They must have software that can recover deleted stuff.....
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:13 PM

Twice in the last 20 odd years I've offered to delete a photo because somebody had questioned what I was doing. Chat to these people instead of running away, or worse, arguing. Leave them happy.

BTW after loading pics from card to PC, I always format the card. Some claim this makes the next batch of photo data cleaner.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 10:36 PM

Formatting doesn't erase data, it merely removes the data markers that point to it. The data is still there and the drive is not actually erased. Vaguely similar to ripping out the table of contents or an index in a book. To destroy data you would have to overwrite a hard drive/SD/SSD/USB drive with junk data several times to be sure.

I've recovered data that people had accidentally "erased" quite a few times. Sometimes it has been written over in the normal course of writing newer files to the drive, meaning it was gone, but most times everything was still there. I'm sure the Police have much more sophisticated methods of recovering data though.

You could do this manually but there are programs that will overwrite a drive, filling it up with random junk as many times as you like to make sure data can't be undeleted.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Formatting doesn't erase data, it merely removes the data markers that point to it. The data is still there and the drive is not actually erased. Vaguely similar to ripping out the table of contents or an index in a book. To destroy data you would have to overwrite a hard drive/SD/SSD/USB drive with junk data several times to be sure.

I've recovered data that people had accidentally "erased" quite a few times. Sometimes it has been written over in the normal course of writing newer files to the drive, meaning it was gone, but most times everything was still there. I'm sure the Police have much more sophisticated methods of recovering data though.

You could do this manually but there are programs that will overwrite a drive, filling it up with random junk as many times as you like to make sure data can't be undeleted.
Thank you. So Formatting is the same as Deleting?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2020, 10:19 AM

IIRC, when I "accidentally" deleted over 25,000 MP3 files on an external hard disc drive I used "Recuva"" to retrieve them .....it took a while and required manual intervention at some points but I lost just a few files forever .....

https://filehippo.com/download_recuva/
Hirussell
New Member!
USA
Hirussell is male 

26-03-2020, 09:23 AM

Hi, When the data deleted from any device if data overwritten it can't be recovered but when accidently deleted photo, videos & audio files recovered with the help of recovery software such as stellar photo recovery, Recuva, minitool, etc...
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 10:30 AM

I have two drives in my main computer. One for the operating system and programs, the other for storing files, (including backup files - photos) and downloads.

When I clean install the operating system, I always delete all partitions on the target drive before continuing to install the OS and programs. An operation that needs some care if two physical drives are present.

Just once, I went and deleted the partition on the wrong drive, so losing everything that was on it.

I knew I might be able to recover the files providing nothing else was done to the drive. When the OS was up and running again (on the correct drive), I installed Recuva and set it to work. It recovered every single file. Silly me but well done Recuva.

I back up the files/photos on the second drive to another USB drive periodically, so I wouldn't have lost everything but some files would have been lost if not for Recuva.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 11:16 AM

deleted
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2020, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
deleted
Ah.....but is it realspeed?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top