Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2020, 05:12 PM

Re: Trash and the poop dog wars

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Thanks for tarring us anglers with the same brush Mups. Not every angler "murders" fish for pleasure - just the opposite in fact. Most coarse anglers practice what is known as "catch and release" (this includes me). It's only trout, sea trout and salmon anglers that "murder" their catch. Even then, the use of the word "murder" is far too strong in this context.

Percy, I like and respect you, but that doesn't make me agree with you over this.

I'm afraid I question the 'catch and release' practice.

I can't help but wonder how you would feel enjoying being out and about one day, minding your own business and enjoying a leisurely day, when suddenly an enormous barbed hook came down and stuck itself into your top lip.

You were shocked, in pain, and terrified, but the more you struggled, the faster you were dragged along by this hook, evntually being whipped up into an atmosphere than was unnatural to you and where you found yourself gasping to breathe normally.
While you were gasping for your last breath, your captive thought it a grand idea to photograph you in this state, to show his mates.

They then decided to remove the hook, and you were then released into a big net of some sort, where you were kept for the rest of the day.
Just before dark, the net was turned inside out and you found yourself free.

You ran home.
Only thing is, when you felt brave enough to venture out again, guess what happened? An enormous sharp hook came . . . . . . again and again.

Sorry Percy, but that's how I see it.
I admit in a way, I would find it more acceptable if it really was for food - but just for 'pleasure' - No.
It's certainly not for the fishes pleasure.

I will say no more as we have already diverted the thread away from dog poo and that was what it was supposed to be about.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 04:20 PM

You have your opinion Mups and I respect that. Let me tell you that the waters where I fish, the owners of said waters have, to a man/woman, banned the use of barbed (even micro-barbed in some cases) hooks and I fully agree with them. You will not find a single barbed hook anywhere in my tackle boxes. "Catch and release" is just that. I use a landing net to support the fish as I removed it from the water onto what is known as a "carp mat" (a plastic covered, foam-filled water-proof mat). This mat is used to support the weight of the fish while I gently remove the barbless hook from, hopefully, the fish's lips, other wise I use a suitably sized disgorger. The fish is usually out and back in the water within 5mins tops (actually most fish can live out of the water for more than 10mins so, 5mins is no problem for them).

Two last things:
1. I rarely photograph the fish I catch. I don't see the point of it. I might weigh a particular specimen but it goes straight back into the water afterwards.
2. Lead weights - These have been banned as split shot for freshwater angling use at least 2 decades and anyone caught using them should be shot (pun intended).

OK, now back to dog poo alley ...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 04:44 PM

Hi

People need to pay for their costs to society.

Dogs cost a fortune to clear up after.

I am not anti dog, I feel the same way about cyclists.

They should pay as well.

An example is here

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...it-by-cyclist/

I would also like to see a £1 charge on all takeaways, fed up of clearing up all the McDondalds dumped everywhere.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

They should pay as well.

An example is here

I would also like to see a £1 charge on all takeaways, fed up of clearing up all the McDondalds dumped everywhere.
Money wont solve these problems Swim, but I do think stronger discipline in schools may help!

If we don't teach children how to behave in society, there is little point in trying to make them pay for the clearing up!
We don't want dog pooh on the pavements, we don't want accidents caused by cyclists & we don't want litter from takeaways! Surely the best answer to that is to teach people how to behave.... because lots of people do clear their dog poo & most cyclists are well mannered and don't hurt children. If people are so ignorant that they throw takeaway wrappings on the ground, take photos of them & then tell the place they bought them from. Those photos on Facebook may help make people like that embarrassed, because people will know who they are and the council could save money if they made them clear the mess that others have left, to teach them a lesson.

We have volunteers who clean up the mess called "the clean team". Since they started a few years ago they tell me they have less mess to clean because people now criticize those who leave the mess & word gets round so they are embarrassed.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 06:52 PM

We have a better class of poop leavers here!
They decorate the trees with poop bags, looks quite festive.

(Those that pick it up)

A**holes!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 07:26 PM

Those who clear up do so. Those who can't don't.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
We have a better class of poop leavers here!
They decorate the trees with poop bags, looks quite festive.

(Those that pick it up)

A**holes!

You could perhaps spray them with gold glitter during the festive season Tess, cheer the place up a bit.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

29-06-2020, 09:33 PM

Hi

They should pay as well.

An example is here

Dog licences won't make a scrap of difference to these offenders, can't you see that?
All stupid priced licences will do is penalise the responsible owners, and if you can't see that then you should!

As for your remark about dogs costing a fortune to clear up after, well so do humans!

Look at the atrocious rubbish/litter/clothing - and yes . . Poo left on the beaches and farmland after these raves and other large gatherings.

Look at the cost of the human morons who carry out truck loads of daily fly tipping all in the lay-bys, footpaths, bridleways, and farmland!

So let's have a bit more balance ey, and stop continually criticising dog people. We are not ALL irresponsible.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

29-06-2020, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
You have your opinion Mups and I respect that. Let me tell you that the waters where I fish, the owners of said waters have, to a man/woman, banned the use of barbed (even micro-barbed in some cases) hooks and I fully agree with them. You will not find a single barbed hook anywhere in my tackle boxes. "Catch and release" is just that. I use a landing net to support the fish as I removed it from the water onto what is known as a "carp mat" (a plastic covered, foam-filled water-proof mat). This mat is used to support the weight of the fish while I gently remove the barbless hook from, hopefully, the fish's lips, other wise I use a suitably sized disgorger. The fish is usually out and back in the water within 5mins tops (actually most fish can live out of the water for more than 10mins so, 5mins is no problem for them).

Two last things:
1. I rarely photograph the fish I catch. I don't see the point of it. I might weigh a particular specimen but it goes straight back into the water afterwards.
2. Lead weights - These have been banned as split shot for freshwater angling use at least 2 decades and anyone caught using them should be shot (pun intended).

OK, now back to dog poo alley ...

Percy . . . .

I'm happy to leave it at that if you are.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 11:02 PM

Hi

Do they? Humans cost far more to clear up after and you don't need a license these days to have a baby...

On the subject of takeaways. They should force takeaways to stop selling chicken on the bone. It is harmful for dogs to eat take away chicken bones thrown away by inconsiderate people usually next to trees.

I once had a guy have a go at me about my dog's poo when it wasn't my dog's poo he stepped in. I had just picked up my dog's poo and he stepped in a dog poo another owner had left behind nearby and I got the blame!

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top