Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2020, 12:53 PM

Re: Coon no more

I feel rather guilty here. I served my apprenticeship and spent the early part of my working life as a blacksmith. I offer my profuse apologies to anyone I may have offended.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2020, 12:58 PM

How people originally got their surname might be worth a bit of thought.

For example "Cook" could have been given because the type of work, way back, was cooking.

Then we have "Tailor", etc. Can't think of them all, but there were many such derivations.

Then we , or Europeans, tagged on the word "Son", for example, to further describe who we were. (Smith, Carpenter, etc)

So, (I hate sentences starting with So!) the original "Coon" objection may well be right.

As may many others.

Just a thought!

marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2020, 01:13 PM

Be a good idea to ask the Black guys born here say 60 years ago, what do they think of all this name thing... and whether it really offends them.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2020, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by monkeypuzzle ->
It is DISGUSTING that a racist name like that is only now being discarded, it should have been done years ago.
OK -but the name Coon was the actual name of the man who invented this type of cheese. How can that be racist if it is your actual surname.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2020, 01:31 PM

Next
Main Coon Cats
Coon Skin Hats
Coon Hound
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2020, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by monkeypuzzle ->
If it was my name I would have long since changed it.

No you wouldn't have.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2020, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by marciniak ->
Be a good idea to ask the Black guys born here say 60 years ago, what do they think of all this name thing... and whether it really offends them.

My guess is that it doesn't and they just want to get on with life like the rest of us.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2020, 03:00 PM

What about the raccoon then? Do we rename that to something along the lines of the racprocynoid as its from the procyonid family of mammals :shrug:
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2020, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Next
Main Coon Cats
Coon Skin Hats
Coon Hound
What about raccoon? I'm a fan of American Pickers and they're ALWAYS talking about coon (raccoon) poop. Do we write to the show's presenters and complain?
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2020, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
No you wouldn't have.
A friend of mine changeD his name, he was fed up with the ridicule and mickey taking that he kept getting so he changed his name from Sebastian Scrothum to Andrew, he really hated being called Sebastian

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top