Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 10:22 PM

Re: A Question

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Just come across this interesting discussion.

I have never bothered to unplug our TV aerial during electrical storms, although of course I now have since I cancelled our BBC Tax. Even so, we are in a bungalow surrounded by tall trees, so I think they would go first.

Our internet and VOIP telephone are supplied by underground cabling (Virgin Media).

Same with our mains supply, so the nearest a lightning strike can hit us is at our local sub-station which, of course, is well protected. Had it been an overhead mains supply, I might have been a little concerned.

My computer cable is underground too JBR, but it goes to the small box thing on the external wall.

I also have a roof ariel for the telly.

The telephone cables from the telegraph pole go overhead too. They go right above my front garden.
My landline got cut off once before in a storm, ages ago now, so I always unplug my phone line since.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
My computer cable is underground too JBR, but it goes to the small box thing on the external wall.
Yes, you're right of course. Ours emerges from the wall (or actually it enters the wall to be precise) and makes its way leisurely half-way around the house to an external box and thence plummets uncontrollably vertically downward into the ground and relative safety.

Having said that, I have every confidence that any lighting strike won't go to the trouble of making its way all the way down to a couple of feet above the ground on the wall, when it could far more easily take its anger out on the nearest innocent little tree.

I also have a roof ariel for the telly.

The telephone cables from the telegraph pole go overhead too. They go right above my front garden.
My landline got cut off once before in a storm, ages ago now, so I always unplug my phone line since.
Even so, I really wouldn't worry about that, Mups. It's never going to happen, believe me, but if the worst came to the worst it would only blow your telephone or television through the ceiling.
Nothing that your insurance wouldn't quibble about.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, you're right of course. Ours emerges from the wall (or actually it enters the wall to be precise) and makes its way leisurely half-way around the house to an external box and thence plummets uncontrollably vertically downward into the ground and relative safety.

Having said that, I have every confidence that any lighting strike won't go to the trouble of making its way all the way down to a couple of feet above the ground on the wall, when it could far more easily take its anger out on the nearest innocent little tree.

Even so, I really wouldn't worry about that, Mups. It's never going to happen, believe me, but if the worst came to the worst it would only blow your telephone or television through the ceiling.
Nothing that your insurance wouldn't quibble about.

That made me think. Don't some insurances have a get-out clause something about lightning strikes, floods and aliens?

Thanks for everyone's opinions and advice here.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 11:54 PM

That made me think. Don't some insurances have a get-out clause something about lightning strikes, floods and aliens?
Good God! I hope not.

I'll have to have a look at our home insurance.

Surely, if a lightning bolt strikes your home and it goes up in smoke, you'd be covered on your home insurance?

In any event, I'm an atheist so acts of God shouldn't affect me.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-07-2020, 12:02 AM

I've just checked my home insurance cover, and included are:
Lightning, explosions and earthquakes
Fire and smoke
Impact from vehicles
Falling trees, lampposts, aerials and telegraph poles
Storms and floods
Water or oil leakage
Subsidence
Theft or attempted theft.

Phew! I'm especially relieved about the earthquake cover.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 06:46 PM

Just a quickie please . .

Do you use your computer doing a storm?
Is it safe?

Do you unplug your telly and phone?
Probably safe, Mups, but put your mind at rest by reading this:-

http://stormhighway.com/protection.p...cture%20itself.

Me, I'd unplug if there was a lot on lightning about!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

Already posted this.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-07-2020, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

Me, I'd unplug if there was a lot on lightning about!
An excellent article!
To the best of my knowledge (and I do not claim to be an expert!), it is absolutely correct and not exaggerated at all.

I have bookmarked it and intend to look at the other, linked, articles which, I'm sure, I'll find equally interesting and informative.

Unplugging the telly, however, is not something I'm likely to do. If the house is actually struck, or even a nearby structure, there is likely to be damage whether or not I have unplugged my television. Everything is insured for replacement anyway and any damage from a nearby strike is going to be rather more serious than just a television.

Nevertheless, a very helpful and well-written article. Thank you.

(Why are so many such articles American? Are we in the UK incapable of producing such things? )
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Another thing about lightening strikes on telly aerials:

If your house, flat, etc has a roof mounted aerial and you have taller buildings around you in the neighbourhood, then you should be OK - the lightening will probably strike from there first because the distance to the cloud base is less than from your roof. In our case, our parish church is just about 30yds from our apartment block, is much taller, and has lightening rods connected to its steeples.
Our house is quite tall but luckily there is a fireman's drill tower a few yards away..... and a fire station of course.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-07-2020, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Our house is quite tall but luckily there is a fireman's drill tower a few yards away..... and a fire station of course.
That's a great advantage, should your house be struck then!

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top