Join for free
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 08:06 AM

Travellers

Arrived home yesterday to find Travellers/Pikeys have moved onto the common outside my house. It looks like around a dozen or so vehicles, some with caravans. Apparent it usually takes four days to move them on but it could take longer due to Covid. I spent yesterday evening checking house security, lights, locks etc. I also found my large wrecking bar to keep beside my bed. My dogs will warn me if any prowlers are around.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 08:33 AM

Re: Travellers

Hi

When I lived in Prees we had an Official Gypsy Site.

Never a problem with them., collected any scrap you had and worked on the farms doing barns and farm roads etc.

The families have been around for years, the kids go to school.

They had seasonal work away, went for some weeks every year.

We did have trouble with Travellors, who arrived from time to time and made a right mess.

They did not stay long.

Asked to move, if they did not the locals are very effective.

They have huge muckspreaders and nobody stayed long.

Chicken manure really does stink.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 08:37 AM

It might be good idea to ring the council and make them aware. Keep a photo diary or video any suspicious conduct.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Arrived home yesterday to find Travellers/Pikeys have moved onto the common outside my house. It looks like around a dozen or so vehicles, some with caravans. Apparent it usually takes four days to move them on but it could take longer due to Covid. I spent yesterday evening checking house security, lights, locks etc. I also found my large wrecking bar to keep beside my bed. My dogs will warn me if any prowlers are around.
Not good news at all. Sorry for the extra anxiety this will cause you and your neighbours. As Cinderella says, inform the council (an possibly the police) ASAP. Who knows, an early intervention might nip it in the bud a bit quicker. Worth a punt anyway
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 10:32 AM

Both Police and local council are aware. That's how I know about the usual four days. My worry is my dogs. They are all very friendly and apart from the GSD they would go to the gate to welcome anyone. The GSD is completely deaf and has arthritic back legs so she would not be stolen whereas the little ones might. Anyway, I have all the tools I need to remove any unwanted visitors, day or night. I just hope it doesn't come to that.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
We did have trouble with Travellors, who arrived from time to time and made a right mess.

They did not stay long.

Asked to move, if they did not the locals are very effective.

They have huge muckspreaders and nobody stayed long.

Chicken manure really does stink.
Excellent. A far quicker and more effective way of encouraging undesirables to go away! We should all have muckspreaders on call.

Of course, there are Gypsies and there are Pikeys. Two completely different animals!
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 11:05 AM

I wouldn’t work yourself up worrying to much… Yes they’re a pain, but they are not stupid either.

If they have parked up close to you, they would only pinch your dogs when they are about to leave, same with garden stuff or breaking into a garage.

Most when they call to give estimates, or cut down trees, will view a property to see if there are any easy pickings, or whether its vacant.

And although it would be very unlikely they would break into your home while you are there……… Don’t challenge/attack them with iron bars or such..just yell, they will soon run as they don’t want to get caught, or involved in any altercation….They’ll just want to get away, thinking they got away with it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Excellent. A far quicker and more effective way of encouraging undesirables to go away! We should all have muckspreaders on call.

Of course, there are Gypsies and there are Pikeys. Two completely different animals!

Just leave soap and water by the back door. It scares the bejesus out of 'em
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by marciniak ->
I wouldn’t work yourself up worrying to much… Yes they’re a pain, but they are not stupid either.

If they have parked up close to you, they would only pinch your dogs when they are about to leave, same with garden stuff or breaking into a garage.

Most when they call to give estimates, or cut down trees, will view a property to see if there are any easy pickings, or whether its vacant.

And although it would be very unlikely they would break into your home while you are there……… Don’t challenge/attack them with iron bars or such..just yell, they will soon run as they don’t want to get caught, or involved in any altercation….They’ll just want to get away, thinking they got away with it.
Just check whether they have a tow rope attached to the back of their car!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 05:28 PM

I've never heard of any of this kind of behavior going on over there. Is it a lifestyle? How do they get their kids educated if they are on the move? What are the laws about them parking of staying in one place? I did see Roma in Moscow - one young fellow defecting in the median of the road, and the rest seemingly living under a highway overpass, but the police seemed to keep them moving. The only thing I was told was that they like to create a distraction of swarm you while on for two pickpocket.

And I'm terrified to ask, but what are they doing with people's pets?

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top