Join for free
Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 05:22 PM

Re: smart metres

Originally Posted by monkeypuzzle ->
Water meters are compulsory in our area.
I know you live in Wales MP but who are your water company? I live in South Wales and our water company is Dwr Cymru and meters are not compulsary with them
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
My old supplier installed one but now it's used as an ordinary meter by my new supplier - I just have to send them my own meter readings from time to time.
Same here, after googling which button to press

Does seem a bit odd that smart meters aren't designed so that swapping a supplier would also enable the new company to use the the key facility of the meter (ie reading it without need for access). One would have thought that ALL companies would have benefitted from an universal design, and thus agreed on them.
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

30-07-2020, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone ->
I know you live in Wales MP but who are your water company? I live in South Wales and our water company is Dwr Cymru and meters are not compulsary with them
They were made compulsory when Dee Valley water was in charge, the water company is now Hafren Dyfrdwy.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by monkeypuzzle ->
Water meters are compulsory in our area.
Must admit, I had no idea that these meters are "smart" in the sense that companies have readings fed to them without the need for home visits (albeit externally on the pavement), and property owners are given a device so that they can monitor usage, or the possible use of an app if there's wifi connectivity around. Thanks for that bit of food for thought for me
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Exactly this ^^

You get a little wireless display thing which we looked at for a few days until being chucked in a drawer never to be looked at again. The bills are the same and so far no aliens have landed on my laptop.

I suppose the one advantage is that you don't have to let the meter reader in.

I haven't got one and don't want one either. I can't see the point as it's no bother for me do my own meter readings. In fact after I got sick of themn pestering me I told them I wanted it put on my records that I do not want one, and I do not want any more nuisance phone calls either. That did the trick.

I don't have to let any meter readers in either, because my meters on outside walls.
I send them my own readings every quarter and always have done - Gas, Electric and Water too as I prefer accurate bills, not their 'guestimated' ones.
As I said, it only takes a few minutes, so I don't see the point in having a smart meter, and at the moment, they can't make us.

I expect eventually though, they will increase prices to those who don't comply.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 10:19 PM

We have had a smart meter for about 10 years. No disadvantages that we have seen and you can change suppliers if offered a better rate. We can also opt for various plans depending on usage patterns, making use of off peak reduced prices if you wish.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 10:22 PM

We need Realist back to comment on this one, in his original guise.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

I suppose the one advantage is that you don't have to let the meter reader in.
I'd forgotten that UK meters are inside the house. All my meters are outdoors accessible from the front garden so I never know whether the electric or water meter reader has called.

On one occasion I received a letter from the electricity company saying that my reading was an estimate as the reader had been unable to access the meter because of a spider web (an Orb Weaver I presume). It only happened once but I did reply saying that in this country they needed to employ meter readers made of sterner stuff.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I'd forgotten that UK meters are inside the house. All my meters are outdoors accessible from the front garden so I never know whether the electric or water meter reader has called.

On one occasion I received a letter from the electricity company saying that my reading was an estimate as the reader had been unable to access the meter because of a spider web (an Orb Weaver I presume). It only happened once but I did reply saying that in this country they needed to employ meter readers made of sterner stuff.
Bruce I'm not going to google to find out (!) but is an orb weaver one of those 8 legged friends that can kill you with one bite?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Bruce I'm not going to google to find out (!) but is an orb weaver one of those 8 legged friends that can kill you with one bite?
No, they are a large spider that build a massive, very sticky web (and I mean sticky) across a passageway. I have had them built across a 2.5 m gap between my house and the fence. You walk into them because they are hard to see and they stick to your face and hands. I am not sure if they can bite a human but they are not dangerous as far as I know.

Page 2 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top