Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

30-07-2020, 05:13 PM

Re: Eat out to Help out.

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Pubs are pointless, at least to me. Why buy overpriced drinks just to sit on uncomfortable chairs in a noisy bar watching a muted TV usually set to some mind-numbingly boring sporting event? Hell no. I couldn't care less if it closes or not.
Same here.

My husband and I have never gone to a pub just for a drink. On the very rare occasions we have visited one it was for a meal, whoever wasn't driving might have had a glass of wine.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Just looked at one of my favourite restaurants which is taking part in the scheme and note many prices have crept up with a main course being £30 and pudding £8.

I won't be going any time soon regardless of price, I would not take the risk.
Again, I'm with you on this Meg. I am doing my utmost to support all local shops and have my Meats, Fruit & Veg, Dairy and Bakery all delivered from local suppliers, but I'm sorry to say that having shielded since the beginning of March, I am just too nervous to take the risk of eating out, although that is not to say I really admire those who are brave enough to do so.
I also genuinely wish those eating establishments every success too.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2020, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Again, I'm with you on this Meg. I am doing my utmost to support all local shops and have my Meats, Fruit & Veg, Dairy and Bakery all delivered from local suppliers, but I'm sorry to say that having shielded since the beginning of March, I am just too nervous to take the risk of eating out, although that is not to say I really admire those who are brave enough to do so.
I also genuinely wish those eating establishments every success too.
Am not really concerned about the risk TBH (providing due care is taken, obviously), and do understand the need for companies to continue to trade in terms of employment etc. But they've got to make sure that it remains economically viable for customers to use them.

On a related subject, my wife had to pay and extra £5 for her haircut for PPE purposes. A friend of hers had to pay £10 in her salon. Meanwhile, another friend had to pay an additional £40 at her dentist, which seems particularly odd as these places and people have always had to use appropriate PPE anyway.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 09:33 PM

Loads of places around here have registered for this. We have booked to go for an Indian All you Can Eat for £10 next Tuesday.

Two Asian sisters do all the cooking and I used to work with the husband of one of them and I know they are very hygiene conscious and very clean.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You must do what think best MP, and I'll go out and and enjoy a meal. You did mention that eating out is not something you would do anyway. I always weigh up the risk before doing something and will obey the current rules, but I will not be intimidated by the media like so many have....
Good for you, Foxy. besides - testing doesn't really count in this situation. Anyone could be tested and found virus free today - but still catch it tomorrow! Risk assessment and self protection is the way to go.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 07:47 AM

There are 53 in my area, but only a few where I would chose to go to for a meal.... even if there was no virus!

I was one of the people they decided should stay isolated for 12 weeks... but when I challenged them they admitted that their selection process had many faults & accepted that I would do my own shopping!

I have been food shopping twice a week, since the lock down began. I tried to remain 2 metres away from others, but not always successfully, yet I have been well throughout... despite being diabetic.

There is no foolproof way of avoiding the virus, so we each have to make our own choices and decide what risks we are prepared to take.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 08:05 AM

We were going out to lunch today for the first time but due to the spike we have cancelled . No point in taking unnecessary risks after all this time.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 08:11 AM

The "High Class" Indian restaurant I collect from on a Saturday evening has a strange approach to distancing, it has quite a vast potential seating area (which is well populated under normal conditions) but, they insist on seating eat in customers right next to the two metre makings on the floor on the approach to the counter so, they are eating right next to people waiting to pay for and collect takeaways.
The only possible reason for this means the seated folks are by the window and visible from the road, so, would give the impression the eat in function is busier than it really is, if this is the case, I would insist on sitting in the furthest remote corner.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Good for you, Foxy. besides - testing doesn't really count in this situation. Anyone could be tested and found virus free today - but still catch it tomorrow! Risk assessment and self protection is the way to go.
I spent years in a factory keeping out of the way of the foreman and gaffer so I could have a smoke and a skive, so I know all about social distancing Tabby........Only joking...

I've always been quite a solitary person though, so this lockdown thingy has been easy for me, I should have been a lighthouse keeper....
People should do what they feel comfortable with, but personally I don't think the virus is as easy to catch as the media makes out, or if it was, there would be twice the infections that there are now. But if there are loads of people walking about with it, then the mortality figures aren't as bad as we are led to believe. I read something the other day that pointed out that nobody died of flu this winter...Now that's strange! Or does the test only detect a virus? Any virus?

Apparently, a nose swab can determine exactly which virus is present, but but the results take a fortnight to be processed. But an antibody test (the one they do most and results in 24 hours) will only tell that the affected body has been fighting 'Something'...It could be anything, A cold, Kidney or Liver infection, Laryngitis, in fact any infection......

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top