Join for free
Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 07:16 AM

Re: smart metres

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
No, they are a large spider that build a massive, very sticky web (and I mean sticky) across a passageway. I have had them built across a 2.5 m gap between my house and the fence. You walk into them because they are hard to see and they stick to your face and hands. I am not sure if they can bite a human but they are not dangerous as far as I know.
Sounds like a horror movie....I would never walk down that passage again...I'd prefer to climb over the house
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 08:09 AM

Only yesterday I had an example of 'persuasion' being used to get me to have a 'smart' meter installed. I had already informed the company not to keep phoning me on an almost monthly basis to have a 'smart' meter as I did not, and never never would, agree to one. Up until a couple of months' ago I always received a monthly reminder by e-mail of the need to submit my meter reading. Then that reminder stopped. I had also noticed that I was receiving estimated readings just a few days' before the date for submitting a reading. Then my Direct Debit amount was said to be not enough to cover the annual cost, I would have to increase it by a £6.00, which reluctantly I did although I considered that to be incorrect as I was in credit by nearly £7.00! The company had initially stated I was paying enough to cover usage when I started with them as my electricity supplier. My usage seldom varies as there's just me living here with exactly the same daily routine.

Yesterday was the limit though. I had three days' ago received a statement of usage by e-mail from them using their estimated reading from May and mine for June and July. They reckoned I would have to increase my Direct Debit by £6.00 to clear the account by the end of the contract in December 2020. I e-mailed a complaint about this as it was I believed incorrect. Then while out driving yesterday I received a call which was so faint I couldn't hear who it was, they terminated the call. No number or voicemail left either. Arriving home I checked my e-mails to find one from my electricity supplier. They had tried to contact me by phone but could not do so or leave a voicemail. The e-mail went on to say that they 'would like to work with me about my recent complaint'. However, my Direct Debit needed to be increased to meet the costs by year end or 'I would be unable to change supplier if I wanted to'. If I did not increase the Direct Debit they would do it for me, 'after of course informing me of that'. Then it stated 'the best way to prevent these types of problems would be to have a 'smart' meter installed. What a surprise! The final insult, an earlier e-mail I hadn't picked up – my monthly statement showing I am £50.00 in credit!

Do these companies believe the public are completely stupid? It is so obvious they are using rather dubious methods to 'persuade' customers to have 'smart' meters installed – the completion date for the roll-out of these is the end of 2020!

They also don't seem to understand that it is no problem to put a monthly reminder on my iPhone, then to walk to the meter, read it and using my laptop submit that reading!

Apologies but this does rather get to me, rant over!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
We need Realist back to comment on this one, in his original guise.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 10:49 AM

We have a smart meter .
I think it’s only useful in that the electric man doesn’t have to check the meter anymore
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 10:50 AM

Baz - read your post but won't quote it to save screen space.

There's no guarantee anyway that having a smart meter won't lead to a price increase anyway, and if you're happy to send them monthly/frequent readings, they should accept that.

As for not being allowed to change supplier, this is utter tosh anyway. Unless you are significantly in debt (which would need clearing before moving), or mid-annual-contract, you can change whenever you want.

Might be worth having a look round on uswitch or similar (Bulb is my supplier for the last 18months ans still seems competitive) for better deals, and make it clear to the new supplier that you do not want a smart meter.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I bumped into Realist a week or so ago on a different forum. He seemed a bit busy putting forward his views on vaccines, so probably won't get round to returning here for a bit.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
There are other threads on here about smart meters Paula. I think the general consensus was they are a waste of time but the energy suppliers have to ask all their customers if they want one installing because the government told them to.

One thing you have to remember is you don't have to agree to have one installed whatever your supplier says.
The one down side that I have found is pricing of tariffs, I have refused to have a meter fitted but have found that the cheaper energy tariff are only available to those with a meter or agree to have a meter fitted.
Reluctantly I am having a meter fitted at the end of the month.
It’s pricing blackmail
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2020, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
It’s pricing blackmail
Yes, exactly. That's what it is and also I feel it's the thin end of the wedge too. Just wait until the companies find out when the most electricity is being used and put a premium on that! We will all have a choice, use electricity at the cheapest times which obviously will be at 'off-peak times' like the middle of the night or pay the premium price!

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Baz - read your post but won't quote it to save screen space.

There's no guarantee anyway that having a smart meter won't lead to a price increase anyway, and if you're happy to send them monthly/frequent readings, they should accept that.

As for not being allowed to change supplier, this is utter tosh anyway. Unless you are significantly in debt (which would need clearing before moving), or mid-annual-contract, you can change whenever you want.

Might be worth having a look round on uswitch or similar (Bulb is my supplier for the last 18months ans still seems competitive) for better deals, and make it clear to the new supplier that you do not want a smart meter.
I have only been with this company, found on Uswitch, since December 2018. Since then my account has only been IN DEBIT when they have used their own estimated readings rather than mine. That was for £7.00, £16.00 and £22.00. Each time though that has then gone to being IN CREDIT after the monthly Direct Debit amount has been paid. Like now, one day I am told I am IN DEBIT (due to them using their estimated readings) yet a couple of days later I am IN CREDIT for £50.00!

The problem being that they should keep to what they originally agreed to for the usage given to them, from my last supplier. Also they should not need to estimate any reading as one has been submitted on the same date, every month without fail, since January 2019!

All this I feel is for one of two reasons – first it seems that they are almost wanting payment in advance, second it's trying to 'persuade' me to have a 'smart' meter, which I have insisted all along that I do not want. Also there is the 'threat' to increase the Direct Debit themselves if I do not, there's also a £30 payment for leaving the two-year contract before it ends in December 2020.

Needless to say I will be looking for another supplier at the end of this contract, perhaps Bulb, so thanks for that name.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

31-07-2020, 12:02 PM

Ah. Didn't know it was a 2 year contract. Either they're being deliberately pushy, or seem to have certain gaps in competence.
Baz46

31-07-2020, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Ah. Didn't know it was a 2 year contract. Either they're being deliberately pushy, or seem to have certain gaps in competence.
Sorry about the lack of details. It's probably them being both pushy and incompetent I feel as everything was OK during the first year, then they started doing the estimated readings I mentioned. From then on there have been problems almost every month since.

I will not be leaving it there though, it will be pursued to find out just what is going on!

Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top