Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 05:52 AM

Internet Playing up

Actually I don't think it is the Internet playing up but my WAN modem. When I have got up the last coule of mornings and turned on my devices they have complained "No ethernet".

Yesterday turning off and on the modem has rectified the situation but it happened again later in the evening again rectified by the same method.

The modem in question is one I bought about eight or ten years ago when fibre was connected to my house by the NBN, it was too complex for my needs but at the time was the only one which supported VOIP.

This morning the same problem so I swapped the modem for one I bought on Ebay especially as a backup it was a superseded model which pop up new on Ebay ridiculously cheap.

It was already set up for this purpose so it was just a matter of connecting up and switching it on.

Now I will run if for a few days to see if the problem reoccurs.

Unfortunately this modem doesn't have VOIP built in but somewhere I have a box that connects to the network to provide the telephone service. There is no urgency to connect it up as it normally only goes to an answering machine anyway.

I would love the problem to be something else other than the modem but I have my doubts.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-08-01 14.07.03.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	13412   Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-08-01 14.07.44.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	13413  
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 07:14 AM

Re: Internet Playing up

If it were me I'd check the flutterby guage and the handbrake lever.....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
If it were me I'd check the flutterby guage and the handbrake lever.....
They were the first things I checked but they were OK so it is still just a process of elimination.

Tomorrow I will look for the VOIP box incase things are terminal.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 10:38 AM

A lot of these electronic gizmos have a little rechargeable battery concealed somewhere deep inside the circuit board Bruce. It is used to keep the basic information while the unit is switched off. It's usually a little button cell that gets charged each time the unit is on, but after several years they start to fail and each time you switch on your stuff you have to retune and give it a quick charge that it will not hold for very long, but long enough for the main supply to take over....

I had a telly that every time we turned it on, we had to retune all the programmes back in...It might be worth a look...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 11:00 AM

What's VOIP and why is it important?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Personally I've never used it but I believe others on here do. I had to check it out a while back myself to find out. The link below explains what it is and how it works:

https://www.ringcentral.co.uk/office...w.html#ring-uk
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2020, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
A lot of these electronic gizmos have a little rechargeable battery concealed somewhere deep inside the circuit board Bruce. It is used to keep the basic information while the unit is switched off. It's usually a little button cell that gets charged each time the unit is on, but after several years they start to fail and each time you switch on your stuff you have to retune and give it a quick charge that it will not hold for very long, but long enough for the main supply to take over....

I had a telly that every time we turned it on, we had to retune all the programmes back in...It might be worth a look...
I reckon you've solved the ( problem??) OGF !!
Experience over tech knowledge eh!!

Donkeyman! 😇😇😇
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 12:41 AM

VOIP is the voice over facility on a broadband connection so you can have multiple internet connections plus a phone land line, fax etc if you want it.People may not like this idea but my IT guy recommend cable connections for everything. Not WiFi. Cable connection may be less convenient and need to be installed wherever you want a connection..TV, bedrooms, office etc. But they are a lot more reliable and a lot more secure. I will not use WiFi but I have taken the trouble to have IT cable connections connections from the broadband processor installed where I need them. My intenet NEVER drops out.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2020, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
VOIP is the voice over facility on a broadband connection so you can have multiple internet connections plus a phone land line, fax etc if you want it.People may not like this idea but my IT guy recommend cable connections for everything. Not WiFi. Cable connection may be less convenient and need to be installed wherever you want a connection..TV, bedrooms, office etc. But they are a lot more reliable and a lot more secure. I will not use WiFi but I have taken the trouble to have IT cable connections connections from the broadband processor installed where I need them. My intenet NEVER drops out.
Thanks but I am none the wiser as to why this is essential or so desirable. Is it a gaming thing? Why is wifi so bad? yes I should read Baz's link but for some reason I think that would be like dipping a toe into cold water. You either immerse like some here or avoid.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

02-08-2020, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
When the NBN rolled out it was with the greatest of pleasure that I was able to ring Telstra (BT) and tell them that they could stick their landline and its line rental where the sun don't shine. I also told them that I would be retaining my phone number.

VOIP is basically my land line and is used when there is no copper wire (ie fibre). It has the same number as the phone I had for decades the only difference is that my Internet provider has the serivce for free and I only pay for calls I make. I never use it to make calls because my mobile phone has unlimited calls but there used to be people still who won't ring a mobile phone (Not many these days)

I have it permanently connected to an answering machine which I rarely check but is basically the number I give to people I don't want ringing me - Charities, some businesses etc, it is also still in the phone book so I get all the scam calls there too.

In essence it behaves exactly as your landline phone does it has the same number and can be called from any public phone network.

If it wasn't a free service I would abandon it but it is handy to stop people ringing me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top