Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 09:48 AM

Keeping calm..

How do you stay calm in the face of something you dread going to happen?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 10:11 AM

Re: Keeping calm..

Originally Posted by carol ->
Can you be more specific Carol....

If it's just something like going to the dentist I try not to think about it and do something to occupy my mind. It's amazing how fast time flies when you think of something you are doing, or want to do. I go for a run or a walk. Sudoku works if it's raining.... Or come on here.....
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 11:04 AM

it could be anything - Driving test, making a speech in public, going to the dentist, getting married , first date - anything you get nervous about. Everybody has their own fear.

In my case its a fear of general anasthetic.
My tummy is doing somersaults at the thought of being 'put under' next Monday.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 11:04 AM

As Foxy says, it's difficult to answer because different types of fear need different responses to help deal with it.

Whatever it is troubling you, and no matter how hard it is, if we can only eventually accept the situation, you will feel calmer.

The only other thing I can say is, speak up, don't keep it all in. Try not to let it overwhelm you, or it can make us ill, so never be too proud to ask for professional help. x

Ah, just seen your latest post explaining a bit more.
Carol - tell them. Just tell them your fear and they will help you.
They must get many patients who fear this, and will be used to dealing with it. But they can't help put you at ease if they don't know how worried you are.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 11:19 AM

If you havnt had a GA previously I can understand why you can’t stop feeling anxious and nothing’s going to stop that because it’s a normal reaction.
On the other hand if this isn’t your first time just reassure yourself that it’s only your nervous system playing up .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 11:26 AM

If it’s your first one, speak to the anaesthetist of your fears. Ask for plenty of anti nausea meds. I was always badly sick until I learnt that it could have been avoided, and now beg and beg and beg, and come through it fine. To sit up with tea and toast after coming round was something I had only dreamt of.

Good luck.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 11:40 AM

Carol, I had never had an operation until three years ago when l had my gall bladder taken out and l was so scared.

Then l remembered the words of my friend a paramedic when l told him l was scared about having a mole removed from my bottom eyelid with local anaesthetic.
He said, ‘Just take it’. That sort of psyched me up. Then l thought, it is only for a short time in my life.

I thought the same when l had my gall bladder taken out.
With the anaesthetic, after the count of 5. I was out and oblivious to everything that happened after that.

I think the worst bit that doesn’t help your frame of mind, is reading and signing the Consent form!
So really, fear is just in your head but once you get your head into gear, it’s not so bad!!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 11:57 AM

The worst part of most GA's is the bloody sore throat for a couple of hours after being intubated.
Bobby Francis
California
Bobby Francis is male  Bobby Francis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Pray, talk to a trusted friend, Carry on with my day and just trying to do the next right indicated thing.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2020, 02:07 PM

Learn relaxation and breathing techniques, once you have learnt to do this it can be a big help with fear/anxiety .

I have to be careful where I use it because I risk falling asleep and missing an appointment

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top