Join for free
Page 17 of 51 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 > Last »
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 05:50 PM

Re: Extinction the facts

Originally Posted by JBR ->
And you think that criminal damage will do anything to persuade the government to make changes that you can't even specify?

I must say, with all due politeness, that you do surprise me, Muddy, with your lack of any real logic in supporting such unnecessary damage to other people's property. Not something that I would ever lower myself to do, especially as it would achieve nothing other than to lower civilised people's opinions of the movements you appear to support.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
But principally it will make their voices heard.
Great! It makes their voices heard!

Yes, we've all heard their voices.

How many of us do you imagine think any more highly of them?

How many of us do you imagine see them as nothing more than naughty children?
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 05:52 PM

Well said Annie
At one time nothing lived in the Thames
It was so polluted if you fell in you were in grave danger of dying .
And that was before global warming so you are a tad late jumping on that bandwagon/outrage bus
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 06:06 PM

Well said Annie
At one time nothing lived in the Thames
It was so polluted if you fell in you were in grave danger of dying .
I am sure many people would be surprised at how much difference small changes make!
I live near a very busy road, and when the traffic was much reduced , owing to the Covid virus, I was amazed how loud the bird songs became, we were told how much cleaner the air was & having had foxes visit my garden for over 30 years, this year I have seen the healthiest pair of foxes & their cub that I have ever seen!
These wonderful changes were achieved on an acre of land by reduction of traffic fumes.
You could notice the change in air quality & I certainly noticed the reduction in traffic noise, so I think that any changes we make will improve life for all. Just think of the money you would save by making just a few small changes. Isn't it worth trying?
Vlad
West Midlands UK

21-09-2020, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I am sure many people would be surprised at how much difference small changes make!
I live near a very busy road, and when the traffic was much reduced , owing to the Covid virus, I was amazed how loud the bird songs became, we were told how much cleaner the air was & having had foxes visit my garden for over 30 years, this year I have seen the healthiest pair of foxes & their cub that I have ever seen!
These wonderful changes were achieved on an acre of land by reduction of traffic fumes.
You could notice the change in air quality & I certainly noticed the reduction in traffic noise, so I think that any changes we make will improve life for all. Just think of the money you would save by making just a few small changes. Isn't it worth trying?
Brill we should have more pandemics in order to hear the birds
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Great! It makes their voices heard!

Yes, we've all heard their voices.

How many of us do you imagine think any more highly of them?

How many of us do you imagine see them as nothing more than naughty children?

I don't think its a matter of being highly thought of - its a question of what you believe is right .

The Suffragettes were not highly thought of at the time

Most people I know are very conscious of the environment .

I don't see them as naughty children.
Don't you think that is rather a patronising attitude ?
Most are not children at all .
One of the men found guilty of digging up the turf was 61

I believe in climate change .
As do many health professionals

Doctors for Extinction Rebellion is a Doctors collective who, appreciating that Climate change is an impending public health catastrophe, have decided to undertake Civil Disobedience with Extinction Rebellion.

https://www.doctorsforxr.com/
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
And that was before global warming so you are a tad late jumping on that bandwagon/outrage bus
Why not just keep on reading the Beano /Dandy and leave grown up subjects to the grown ups
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 08:32 PM

I don't see them as naughty children.
Don't you think that is rather a patronising attitude ?
Most are not children at all .
One of the men found guilty of digging up the turf was 61
I didn't say they were naughty children.

I said that they behave like naughty children.

Anyway, I won't upset you any more. As I said, I like you and you are entitled to your opinions (as am I).
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

21-09-2020, 08:43 PM

I am not upset at all JBR
I like a robust discussion
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 09:48 PM

And you can’t give me a better example than a small of a bit of hallowed Cambridge turf that no one is allowed to walk on!

Yes I can justify it because years of talking / petitions / scientific evidence as made no impact on the government ,
Non violent civil disobedience is the next step and one that has historical precedents for change .
Any benefits arising from this movement will be for the generations to come our grandchildren
Not just digging up turf Muddy, but climbing on tube trains preventing hundreds of people getting to work, some of those prevented from travelling were hospital staff and teachers.
Stopping trains delivering coal to Drax power station, the main contributor to the national grid. The consequences of interrupting the supply would have been catastrophic.

The UK government has done more to offset climate change by providing sustainable energy and pollution control than any other country. Even you Muddy mentioned how most rivers had been returned to their natural state, you also mentioned the pea soupers that have now been eradicated by the reduction in fossil fuels. Incandescent light bulbs have been replaced with low energy LED versions, and every household in Britain now recycles their waste. Whole forests of wind turbines now fill our seascapes and wild spaces and solar panels adorn many roofs, both industrial and private. Not to mention the many projects still at the design stage such as electric vehicles....

The economy is a balancing act, and just moving headlong into new technology would leave thousands of people out of work, but the green revolution doesn't care about that, and I believe that is a very selfish attitude.

Page 17 of 51 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top