Join for free
Page 8 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 10:47 PM

Re: Manual (stick shift)or Automatic transmission

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You're probably right, Bruce.
It's just I feel too long in the tooth to change now.
I am too much of a fusty old fart.
I wasn't being critical but I think driving an auto was a bit of an epiphany for my brother. When I got my first auto I regretted not getting one years before, that seems to be a common theme, they are only a couple of grand($) more than a manual which is peanuts really on a new car.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I wasn't being critical but I think driving an auto was a bit of an epiphany for my brother. When I got my first auto I regretted not getting one years before, that seems to be a common theme, they are only a couple of grand($) more than a manual which is peanuts really on a new car.

Well maybe I'll be brave enough to try one, one of these days.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 11:10 PM

Manual of course. Automatic is boring to me.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2020, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
My brother said almost exactly the same thing but when he visited he drove my auto and an auto rental car. Within weeks of returning to the UK he had sold his car and bought an auto.

When I visited to UK a few years back I rented a car and was amazed to discover that almost all the cars were manuals. Here it is almost impossible to rent a manual car. Surely no one believes the BS about being "in control" with a manual gearbox especially on crowded UK roads.
Old habits die hard Bruce, besides we do have rural too, depending where one lives of course.
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2020, 06:55 PM

I took my first driving test in 1951 in a '41 Mercury Coupe. No automatic or turn signal lights for that matter.

Also had a '63 Corvette with a 4 speed and I wouldn't have wanted an "auto" in that car.

Also had an '84 diesel VW Rabbit with a stick. With the lack of power in that diesel, when you got in hilly country, shifting was like playing a banjo. You'd go through all 4 gears going up a long hill.

Since those years it's always been an auto and they've improved greatly since the early "slide-o-matics".
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2020, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You're probably right, Bruce.
It's just I feel too long in the tooth to change now.
I am too much of a fusty old fart.
Oh, Mups. I wouldn't describe you as fusty.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 09:48 AM

I took my test in a 3 ton Bedford truck. Manual crash type gear change. (Double de-clutch). I also took my London taxi drivers (police tester) in the same type of gear change.
But I was then driving automatic cabs for 45 years and still do with my present car.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh, Mups. I wouldn't describe you as fusty.
You're right JBR; fluffy maybe, fusty never.
David P
South Oxfordshire
David P is male  David P has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2020, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Do you prefer driving a Manual or an automatic transmission vehicle?
I passed my test in a manual car but after a good number of pain experienced in my feet (not both at the same time - luckily), I had to change to an automatic. I would it find it difficult to change back. Of course, when we have to go totally electric, we will not have a choice. Only automatics available.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 10:35 PM

Although I quite like driving automatic's I prefer the greater control a manual gearshift offers.
Preferences will matter less and less in years to come though because you don't need gears on an electric motor.

Page 8 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top