Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 11:14 PM

Re: Jimmy Savile.

I suspect - I hope - that this will turn even more people against the BBC.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 11:20 PM

Documentaries are very often have dramatized parts in them because they make it easier to understand how the situation was.

As you say, Mups, all those other dreadful crimes and the behaviour of the perpetrators have also been dramatized on TV. They have been for years. 10 Rillington Place for instance.

If we condemn such dramas, why not plays, films and documentaries about Hitler, Amin, Mussolini and others who surely caused misery for millions including children? Is it somehow not so bad having dramas and films about their lives and crimes?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Documentaries are very often have dramatized parts in them because they make it easier to understand how the situation was.

As you say, Mups, all those other dreadful crimes and the behaviour of the perpetrators have also been dramatized on TV. They have been for years. 10 Rillington Place for instance.

If we condemn such dramas, why not plays, films and documentaries about Hitler, Amin, Mussolini and others who surely caused misery for millions including children? Is it somehow not so bad having dramas and films about their lives and crimes?
Perhaps it would have been different if the show had been made by a non-BBC company. I have a feeling that the BBC production might turn out to be slightly pro-Savile.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2020, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Perhaps it would have been different if the show had been made by a non-BBC company. I have a feeling that the BBC production might turn out to be slightly pro-Savile.
Yes, that's what I was thinking about (my first post). Whether what made it different was the fact the BBC were televising a drama about someone who used to be one of their own in a big way.

I suppose no slant could possibly put on it that would diminish what happened. I won't give an opinion on it when/if watched, even though I'd be in agreement with others about what he did. I wouldn't want to comment after the drama on something that people don't want to hear.

I just question why a drama shouldn't be made of it when many dramas have been made about other criminals who indeed cause people to shudder but plays/films about them haven't caused disgust.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 12:34 AM

It is all very well going on about the BBC but what about the royal family, Margaret Thatcher, the church, etc who all fell under his spell.
A play, probably a mini-series, woud be a good thing if it was suitably researched and well written with the aim of possibly providing what his trial might have provided - closure, reasons, motives etc and maybe why what was an open secret or, at least, pretty thinly veiled one, was allowed to perpetuate for so many years.
If, however, it turns out to be a cheap taboidy bit of sensationalism it would be appalling.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 08:19 AM

I think these are more from a history point of view Mart, and very few (if any) of the victims are still alive. Victims from Jim's exploits will still be suffering the mental anguish and probably just want to forget and be left in peace. This drama will open a whole new can of worms for them.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

16-10-2020, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I think these are more from a history point of view Mart, and very few (if any) of the victims are still alive. Victims from Jim's exploits will still be suffering the mental anguish and probably just want to forget and be left in peace. This drama will open a whole new can of worms for them.
It looks like consent has been given. As I read the article linked to in the OP, the BBC/dramatists/researchers say, quote..
The team are working closely with those who were impacted by Savile to ensure their stories are told with respect, while also drawing on extensive research sources to look at the impact his crimes had on the victims.
It might be that some would want the story told because they never got the opportunity to have their say in a Courtroom.

We'll see how the drama unfolds ..or I probably will.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'm not really interested in Jimmy Savile, Dennis Nilsen or any other murderer or abuser. I don't care why they did it, and it certainly isn't what I call entertainment. I just despair at the depths that present day TV is resorting to in order to justify their existence. All the decent sport has been swept up by subscription channels, and there's not one sitcom that can compare to Faulty Towers, Allo Allo, or Porridge.
I don't mind them putting these programmes on, because I can switch to another channel if I don't want to watch them.
I tried to watch the Dennis Nilsen one but was bored to tears , so found something else to watch.
What annoys me is that those who enjoy it can watch it, but then we have to go through the constant ads telling us that we can still watch on on the channels Hubs. It seem that we have ads for a few weeks telling us that it will be on TV , and then more ads telling us it is on the Hub!
Surely those who wanted to watch it would have recorded it they if were unable to view on the nights it was shown!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
It is all very well going on about the BBC but what about the royal family, Margaret Thatcher, the church, etc who all fell under his spell.
A play, probably a mini-series, woud be a good thing if it was suitably researched and well written with the aim of possibly providing what his trial might have provided - closure, reasons, motives etc and maybe why what was an open secret or, at least, pretty thinly veiled one, was allowed to perpetuate for so many years.
If, however, it turns out to be a cheap taboidy bit of sensationalism it would be appalling.
Good point. Not only did they fall under his spell but they kept quiet about it and as far as I know, Saville is still a Sir.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2020, 10:29 AM

It looks like consent has been given. As I read the article linked to in the OP, the BBC/dramatists/researchers say, quote..

It might be that some would want the story told because they never got the opportunity to have their say in a Courtroom.

We'll see how the drama unfolds ..or I probably will.
Cheers Mart, I'll look forward to reading your assessment of the drama....

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top