Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 04:48 AM

Re: Fossil Fuel ending.

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Natural gas is a fossil fuel. .
You noticed that tiny flaw in Scotty's plan too eh?

Scotty has had a long love affair with fossil fuels.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 07:41 AM

I am in the rock and then I check a stock
I have to run like a fugitive to save the life I live
I'm gonna be iron like a li-ion in Zion
Iron li-ion Zion
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Where is all this electricity going to come from?

Am all for electric cars, providing that they are affordable to buy. But the eleccy needed to charge them has yet to be created, and there are no obvious plans to create the power plants to generate it. Bear in mind that houses will also rely on electricity to heat them too.

Also, where is the infrastructure for charging cars? Are we going to see a huge spider web of extention leads dangling across pavements and down from high rise flats, while all pavements are being dug up with the aim of having some kind of charging point available every few metres apart? Where is the copper going to come from for the cabling for this??

There are around 40 million cars in the UK. Presumably the idea is that all of these will be replaced over the next few decades. No matter how you look at it, that's a lot of charging points that will need installing, and a lot of electricity needed to power them up.
The assumption that you and others make is that no other changes will be made when it comes to heating homes or for that matter to homes themselves. Not so. Not just changes to homes when it comes to insulation, that makes a HUGE difference as we have found out but also the source of heat. Our place is completely the wrong shape being very long relative to its depth which meant we have had to install multiple heat pumps but gives us a better control over how much heat we extract but unfortunately an increase in capital outlay.

Cost of electric cars. The changes coming down the pike will include what %age of people will be able to have a car. I can see motorcycles taking on a much greater role (along with sidecars!) just as used to be the case.

A radical change in society must and will take place. The easy days are coming to an end.

Generation of electricity? So called renewables will increase and when augmented by small nuclear power plants that are already in use in amongst other places states making up the Russian Federation will expand. This, and more, is already in feasaibility studies in the UK today

Power distribution for electric vehicle charging that makes use of secondary batteries? Far from being a big issue but hydrogen fuel cells will power probably the vast majority of vehicles. Battery technology is only a short term solution.

Look, this - and much more - IS going to happen. It's a real revolution that is going to take place that is going to change society in ways that we are yet to discover - but happen it will. TINA.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 12:11 PM

Oh what a wonderful future we all dream about. How I would love an electric car just for starters, and I could afford afford to buy one today if I really wanted to.
But although in fairly good health at the age of 82. What is the odds of me seeing all this in the future?
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 01:02 PM

The assumption that you and others make is that no other changes will be made when it comes to heating homes or for that matter to homes themselves. Not so. Not just changes to homes when it comes to insulation, that makes a HUGE difference as we have found out but also the source of heat. Our place is completely the wrong shape being very long relative to its depth which meant we have had to install multiple heat pumps but gives us a better control over how much heat we extract but unfortunately an increase in capital outlay.

Cost of electric cars. The changes coming down the pike will include what %age of people will be able to have a car. I can see motorcycles taking on a much greater role (along with sidecars!) just as used to be the case.

A radical change in society must and will take place. The easy days are coming to an end.

Generation of electricity? So called renewables will increase and when augmented by small nuclear power plants that are already in use in amongst other places states making up the Russian Federation will expand. This, and more, is already in feasaibility studies in the UK today

Power distribution for electric vehicle charging that makes use of secondary batteries? Far from being a big issue but hydrogen fuel cells will power probably the vast majority of vehicles. Battery technology is only a short term solution.

Look, this - and much more - IS going to happen. It's a real revolution that is going to take place that is going to change society in ways that we are yet to discover - but happen it will. TINA.
What a laugh Todgy !!
Motor bikes and sidecars ?!?!
You must be jokin?
Where would you put the fuel cell ?? In the sidecar???!
Heat pumps?
Only work efficiently if they have a large enough area to collect the
heat from!! As you yourself illustrared above in your post??
In cities?? I leave you to imagine!
Small nuclear reactors are a possibility to generate electricity ! But
they still have to be developed and proved ??
I believe Rolls Royce has a proposal for building modular small scale
reactors on an assembly line typeof system ! But getting approval
is likely to take longer than building them??
I think Boris is big on grand imaginative schemes but he has so many
dreams that most will never be completed for obvious reasons ??
I will keep my opinions on Boris quiet for now, untill Brexit unfolds
a little more ! I love his enthusiasm but he needs controlling imo ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I am in the rock and then I check a stock
I have to run like a fugitive to save the life I live
Iron li-ion Zion
What a coplicated web we weave,
When first we practice to decieve!!

Donkeyman! 😇😇
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
What a laugh Todgy !!
Motor bikes and sidecars ?!?!
You must be jokin?
Where would you put the fuel cell ?? In the sidecar???!
Heat pumps?
Only work efficiently if they have a large enough area to collect the
heat from!! As you yourself illustrared above in your post??
In cities?? I leave you to imagine!
Small nuclear reactors are a possibility to generate electricity ! But
they still have to be developed and proved ??
I believe Rolls Royce has a proposal for building modular small scale
reactors on an assembly line typeof system ! But getting approval
is likely to take longer than building them??
I think Boris is big on grand imaginative schemes but he has so many
dreams that most will never be completed for obvious reasons ??
I will keep my opinions on Boris quiet for now, untill Brexit unfolds
a little more ! I love his enthusiasm but he needs controlling imo ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔🤔
Fuel cell motor bikes? Together with fuel cell motor scooters already in trial in the UK and in use in the Far East. Fuel cell in sidecar. No need. Fuel cells are neither big or heavy. Same with hydrogen storage plus very high conversion efficiencies. Heat pumps? Ours recover heat from 30 feet down. Alternatives are air recovery but less efficient.

Small nuclear generators? In use now in Russia and beyond.

These things and many more are now very necessary and will hit the streets a lot sooner than many people think.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

20-11-2020, 04:01 PM

Fuel cell motor bikes? Together with fuel cell motor scooters already in trial in the UK and in use in the Far East. Fuel cell in sidecar. No need. Fuel cells are neither big or heavy. Same with hydrogen storage plus very high conversion efficiencies. Heat pumps? Ours recover heat from 30 feet down. Alternatives are air recovery but less efficient.

Small nuclear generators? In use now in Russia and beyond.

These things and many more are now very necessary and will hit the streets a lot sooner than many people think.
On the heat pumps Todgy did'nt you say you had more than one
to supply your needs?
Can you imagine what London would be like with 2 million of them
in close proximity??
Probably stop all plants growing due to freezing soil ? And what
about the utilities,( sewage/ drainage/water and gas / etc! etc!
To say nothing of the underground trains??Heat pumps are ok in
a rural enviroment!!
On the fuel cells, dont they require a catyliser to operate ? What is
that made from?
Im still laughing about the sidecar issue!! LOL!!

Donkeyman! 😀😀😀
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

20-11-2020, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
On the heat pumps Todgy did'nt you say you had more than one
to supply your needs?
Can you imagine what London would be like with 2 million of them
in close proximity??
Probably stop all plants growing due to freezing soil ? And what
about the utilities,( sewage/ drainage/water and gas / etc! etc!
To say nothing of the underground trains??Heat pumps are ok in
a rural enviroment!!
On the fuel cells, dont they require a catyliser to operate ? What is
that made from?
Im still laughing about the sidecar issue!! LOL!!

Donkeyman! 😀😀😀
Because our joint comprises of a group of very old cottages knocked into one it makes sense for us to have heat pumps in order to heat the rooms that we don't live in less than the rooms that we do. No other reason. We happen to use the heat source from underground but other than running cost heat pumps can extract heat from air. The clue is in the word pump.

Do fuel cells need a catalyst? Most do but it's no big deal and is not a liquid catalyst in the case of a hydrogen / air or oxygen fuel cell. Platinum is a typical catalyst but this will change to others such as rhodium or various other materials are becoming available but at lower cost than platinum just as taking place in the case of vehicle catalytic converters.

As for sidecar uses - nothing in the least way funny about that - it's an absolute certainty.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 12:41 AM

Part exchange a petrol car for electric wont be worth doing, who would buy a car that can't be used

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top