Join for free
Page 49 of 50 « First < 39 47 48 49 50 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 01:13 AM

Re: Covid new strain.

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
That is true.
But where did this infection come from & what was the infected person doing before the infection was discovered?
It was a cleaner in one of the hotel quarantine sites. If you weren't aware everybody entering Australia (They are mostly returning residents) have to go into hotel quarantine for 14 days and pay $3000 per person, They are guarded by the police and military but it is the weak link in our covid response.

The reason for the lockdown is because this person was in the community while infected, this gives authorities time to test and trace. It may well be extended.

Imagine all that lot shut down because of one case!
It's not like Aussies not to be a bit more ......... vocal and reactionary.
Instead they're coming home from the coast early.
I think it is true to say that Australians expect their government to stamp on Covid and will do what it takes to eliminate it. we saw how quickly it can get out of control in Melbourne.

At the moment the situation is the UK with 1300 deaths in a day is viewed as a tragedy being played out and whereas four years of the Brexit farce was viewed as bit of a laugh Britain's covid epidemic definitely is not. We don't want that happening here.

Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It was a cleaner in one of the hotel quarantine sites. If you weren't aware everybody entering Australia (They are mostly returning residents) have to go into hotel quarantine for 14 days and pay $3000 per person, They are guarded by the police and military but it is the weak link in our covid response.

The reason for the lockdown is because this person was in the community while infected, this gives authorities time to test and trace. It may well be extended.

I think it is true to say that Australians expect their government to stamp on Covid and will do what it takes to eliminate it. we saw how quickly it can get out of control in Melbourne.

At the moment the situation is the UK with 1300 deaths in a day is viewed as a tragedy being played out and whereas four years of the Brexit farce was viewed as bit of a laugh Britain's covid epidemic definitely is not. We don't want that happening here.

The UK has now introduced quarantine rules for arrivals into the country.

Can't believe this has only just been introduced! We wouldn't be in this mess if we'd done this back in March last year!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->

Can't believe this has only just been introduced! We wouldn't be in this mess if we'd done this back in March last year!
The hordes of illegals would have not been affected in the least and Covid MK2 would still have broken out via the Kent drop off points.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 01:21 PM

Totally agree, Lindy.
Way, way too late.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Totally agree, Lindy.
Way, way too late.
Saw an article today in which Amanda Holden was expressing a similar opinion. When she gets involved in politics, we know were in trouble!!!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Totally agree, Lindy.
Way, way too late.
Our government needs to look at both Australia and New Zealand as examples of what needs to be done IMO. Probably far too late now but we've been through as long lockdowns now as these two countries have. Had we dealt with COVID-19 in that same way, we would probably be the same as they are now, which is relatively free of this awful virus.

Here we are only just introducing quarantine rules for incoming flights! Totally banning incoming and outgoing flights should have been done back in March last year IMO:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-54686812

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53274085
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2021, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Our government needs to look at both Australia and New Zealand as examples of what needs to be done IMO. Probably far too late now but we've been through as long lockdowns now as these two countries have. Had we dealt with COVID-19 in that same way, we would probably be the same as they are now, which is relatively free of this awful virus.

Here we are only just introducing quarantine rules for incoming flights! Totally banning incoming and outgoing flights should have been done back in March last year IMO:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-54686812

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-53274085
I doubt that very much Baz.
Our geography suggests that it would be impossible to quarantine certain counties like Australia has done. Also, our cold sunless winters also assist in the spread of this and other viruses which is witnessed every year to some degree. The worthiness of the NHS was not considered (or schools and housing) before the population was allowed to get out of control by the influx of so many people. A good idea at the time to boost the economy, but as recent events have shown, not such a good idea when you don't have much of an economy left.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 07:42 PM

"A new variant of the virus behind COVID-19 has been detected in Japan, the country's Health Ministry announced on Sunday.

It was found in four people -- male and female, ranging from their teens to their 40s -- who arrived from Brazil. While there are similarities to strains first reported in the U.K. and South Africa, this particular type does not appear to have been spotted before."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...avirus-variant

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Co...d-Africa-types
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 08:09 PM

I went into my local newsagent, to get my key charged up, I was asking the shop assistant about the milk, instead of explaining to me from a distance, he came over, right in my face, wearing no mask and started to talk to me about the milk, I should have said something, but I just didn’t think.....I will next time....as Dex said and some others, they really aren’t taking this seriously..( some).putting us at risk.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2021, 08:47 PM

"A new variant of the virus behind COVID-19 has been detected in Japan, the country's Health Ministry announced on Sunday.

It was found in four people -- male and female, ranging from their teens to their 40s -- who arrived from Brazil. While there are similarities to strains first reported in the U.K. and South Africa, this particular type does not appear to have been spotted before."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...avirus-variant

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Co...d-Africa-types
I'm glad in a way. Nothing against the Japanese, of course, but accusations were being made that our new strain was our own fault. Perhaps it was in a way, but this shows that we are in no way different to other countries in that respect.

It seems that the Covid virus can mutate apparently all of its own accord. No-one is to blame.

Page 49 of 50 « First < 39 47 48 49 50 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top