Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 12:15 AM

Can You Whistle?

If you can or used to, what is/was your method of whistling? Pursing your lips and use your whistle as a command or to whistle a happy tune?

Fingers or thumbs in your teeth to produce a shrill loud whistle? I could never do that one! Besides, l thought that method of whistling was very unfeminine!

Or, do you whistle through your teeth

When are you most likely to whistle? Are you an annoying whistler?

Do you believe in this following saying....
‘A whistling woman and a crowing hen are neither fit for God nor men’!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 12:22 AM

Re: Can You Whistle?

For years I called my dogs with a good ear splitting whistle.

First two fingers of each hand produced a beauty, you could have heard in the next village nearly!
When I lived on the farm and had 7 GSD's, whistling was easier than trying to shout if they were playing about any distance down the field.

Can't seem to do it these days though, so had to buy a whistle.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
If you can or used to, what is/was your method of whistling? Pursing your lips and use your whistle as a command or to whistle a happy tune?

Fingers or thumbs in your teeth to produce a shrill loud whistle? I could never do that one! Besides, l thought that method of whistling was very unfeminine!

Or, do you whistle through your teeth

When are you most likely to whistle? Are you an annoying whistler?

Do you believe in this following saying....
A whistling woman and a crowing hen are neither fit for God nor men’!

We used to say "A whistling woman and crowing hen will bring the devil out of his den!

Never tried whistling - assumed it to be a mans province.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
We used to say "A whistling woman and crowing hen will bring the devil out of his den!

Never tried whistling - assumed it to be a mans province.

Probably not a very feminine thing to do, I agree - but very handy.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 12:31 AM

My Dad used to whistle when he was working - it fascinated me because he could still do it when he was smoking his pipe!

Can't remember when I last heard a man whistle though - posties and milkmen all used to at one time.

Come to think about it - I can't remember the last time I saw a man smoking a pipe either.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 12:37 AM

I can whistle by pursing my lips together, but even my whistle is flat - same as my singing voice!!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

First two fingers of each hand produced a beauty, you could have heard in the next village nearly!
When I lived on the farm and had 7 GSD's, whistling was easier than trying to shout if they were playing about any distance down the field.

Can't seem to do it these days though, so had to buy a whistle.
Where exactly do you stick the fingers? i have never worked it out. Always so impressive when other people do it.

I can do the blade of grass reedy thing though.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 02:30 AM

Absolutely can whistle any song as long as it’s in a good key for me. I whistle by changing the shape of my lips depending on the note I’m wishing to whistle. It’s great facial exercise for singing which I greatly enjoy. I can do the finger in mouth type of whistle also but it isn’t very lady like.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 07:19 AM

Yes I can whistle.....a bit. This thread reminds me of Deborah Kerr in the King and I when she sang Whistle a Happy Tune.

Whenever I feel afraid I hold my head erect and whistle a happy tune so no-one will suspect I'm afraid

Weird what pops into your head
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 08:06 AM

Yes, but its good to wet it first.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top