Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 03:54 PM

Re: Hats Off To Royal Mail...

Our postie is a great lady. She even welcomed us to our new home the day after we moved in.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 03:58 PM

Yes, well done Royal Mail, credit where it's due.. 👍
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 04:48 PM

Royal Mail can be good at times like the OP's example but - let's all be quite honest here - due to changing needs the RM delivery service is nothing but a shadow of what it used to be.

Instead of upping their game in the face of both competition and changing needs the delivery service they provide has worsened and yet prices have increased, so that other than with the sending of a letter there are usually better alternatives available and with tracking that works too unlike RM's which is very unreliable.

A First Class letter went up by 9p as the year clicked over, meaning these are now 85p!
That is from the 70p they used to cost until March last year.
Surely that's only going to encourage more people to use email?
Personally if I'm sending anything larger or weightier than a letter I already use another service; with price rises like those I'm very unlikely to use RM's service more.

Here I was going to post some of my poor experiences with Royal Mail recently, but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone and I've probably written quite enough already.
So I will just finish by saying that Royal Mail's place in modern society becomes more tenuous with every passing year.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The postman delivered a late Christmas card the other day.
It was from some friends that live just two miles away.
It had a second class stamp on it and it has been all round the country, covering more miles than I do in a year!...

Being a bit absent minded she only put the first line of our address on the card, no Doncaster, or postcode and the Royal Mail (Bless them) sent it to every address in the country that matched the first line of our address until it arrived here at the correct one...Absolutely Brilliant..... Well done and thank you Royal Mail.

After working as a postman myself, I have seen first hand the trouble that the lads and lasses in the delivery office will go to, to make sure that everything gets delivered to the correct address however ineligible the writing on the envelope is....
Well said, (but I wish they didn't keep stuffing advertising bumf through my letter box!)
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
My postman is a nice obliging man. Is ‘postie’ a northern word as l have never heard it said around here.

I think a postman’s job is enviable in the summer when it’s lovely and sunny but maybe not so much in the winter or when it’s cold/bad weather.
Irish/Scottish I believe.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Royal Mail can be good at times like the OP's example but - let's all be quite honest here - due to changing needs the RM delivery service is nothing but a shadow of what it used to be.

Instead of upping their game in the face of both competition and changing needs the delivery service they provide has worsened and yet prices have increased, so that other than with the sending of a letter there are usually better alternatives available and with tracking that works too unlike RM's which is very unreliable.

A First Class letter went up by 9p as the year clicked over, meaning these are now 85p!
That is from the 70p they used to cost until March last year.
Surely that's only going to encourage more people to use email?
Personally if I'm sending anything larger or weightier than a letter I already use another service; with price rises like those I'm very unlikely to use RM's service more.

Here I was going to post some of my poor experiences with Royal Mail recently, but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone and I've probably written quite enough already.
So I will just finish by saying that Royal Mail's place in modern society becomes more tenuous with every passing year.
Even while I was walking the streets with a postbag on my back I could see the deterioration of the service. However, due to Royal Mails obligation to deliver to every house in mainland Britain every day if they had mail, we were taken advantage of By companies like 'Business Post' and others who did not have their own delivery service and Royal Mail were obligated to deliver their post for a fraction of the cost, and the lion's share of the profit went to them. Because of this Royal Mails Letters service had to become more expensive and in some areas was no longer competitive.

When Royal Mail became a private company it was allowed to raise it's prices, something it was not allowed to do as a public company without first jumping through hoops and proving justification to OFCOM? Royal Mail has tried to modify the service over the last few years to remain viable, and as a result the 'Letters' side of the business has not made a profit since before I left, but the obligation remains, so if your letters arrive late, or your postie is a different person each day it's because change is still taking place in the 'Letters' part of the business but the postmen and women do their best against all odds to provide an efficient and friendly service.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2021, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Well said, (but I wish they didn't keep stuffing advertising bumf through my letter box!)
Unfortunately Ted, as with Radio, TV, and forums/social media, advertising pays the wages and running costs and it's the only way Royal Mail can still make a profit in it's 'Letters' side of the business.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-01-2021, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
My postman is a nice obliging man. Is ‘postie’ a northern word as l have never heard it said around here.

I think a postman’s job is enviable in the summer when it’s lovely and sunny but maybe not so much in the winter or when it’s cold/bad weather.
I think in these modern times Arty, 'Postie' tends not to be gender specific and therefore doesn't upset anybody....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2021, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Well done to the Posties, they don’t get the appreciation they deserve. 👏
They do but they get delivered to the wrong house.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

13-01-2021, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by longdogs ->
they do but they get delivered to the wrong house.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top