Join for free
Page 6 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 01:22 AM

Re: Do you have a strong accent?

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I also have a funny voice, when I hear myself I wonder if that really is me, I don't sound how I hear myself.
I am sure you sound just fine, but I can relate. I wince when I hear myself in recordings.

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I know what she means SM. The Texan accent is a good one. In some areas like West Texas, it sounds a little Australian. But the closer to Louisiana you get the more well..Louisiana it sounds. But the closest accent to Australian I heard in the US was in Boston. How they pronounce words like "car" or "order" It's probably the common Irish influence. Then in some parts of London I swore I was hearing somebody from Australia.
Fascinating analysis, Keezoy. Louisiana Creole always sounded like a New York accent to me, and sure enough, both have strong French roots.

Your comparison of Aussie voice and a Bostonian accents was a lightbulb moment for me! Most definitely the treatment of "o" as it is in "Boston", and "r's" are very close. I am looking forward to sharing your keen observation.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 04:39 AM

My accent is the closest dialect to middle English still spoken.

Black Country.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Hebrew (Modern and Shul), German, Polish, Yiddish, and "Moscow" Russian.

Enough Latin to get by and some French. The only language that I can never get into is Portuguese, especially Brasilian Portuguese.

My first language was Yiddish closely followed by English and Russian.

I've picked up a few others enough to find the "beds and bogs" but not what could be described as even semi fluently.
Wow! That’s amazing. You have a flair for languages!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Having just watched a YouTube tutorial, seems I speak Estuary English! When talking to family.

However, I tend to talk a little better when with neighbours, people I meet outside, or on the phone to relatives.

Many years ago, in my early days of working at the Indian bank, one of the IBTOs (India Based Trainee Officer) said to me when she was due to leave for home ‘Janet, whenever I couldn’t understand you, I’d smile a lot’.
Come to think of it, I do the Estuary English at home and proper English outside of home!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

14-01-2021, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Ey up! Think on soft lass, tha’ll get a clip rahnd lug’oil if tha’ carries on like this, tha' knows. ‘Appen ah’ll quit this mitherin’ if tha' buys mi a Landlord.

If you can't work that out, I'll tell you: it's Welsh.
I could make out most of it
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

14-01-2021, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Square middle Australian. Some people say I sound like SCOMO. Maybe but I'm not a Liberal (as in the party).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcRD...hannel=SBSNews
Very nice Keezoy
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

14-01-2021, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Hampshire lady here, but for some reason I find some Hampshire people,very difficult to understand....
Can you provide a name of anyone with your accent so that I can look up how it sounds
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

14-01-2021, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I also have a funny voice, when I hear myself I wonder if that really is me, I don't sound how I hear myself.
I also don’t think I sound the same to others as how I hear myself
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

14-01-2021, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
All these nuances are so interesting. I've been pulling up clips of each and learning quite a bit. In researching my own accent, I found that the southern accents more than any other here in the US retained British influences.

Minx, I asked a friend, and she said I sound like Andy McDowell in "Four Weddings and a Funeral," especially the way I draw out "I do," but I don't know what she is talking about in that regard.
Wonderful accent Surfermom
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 07:18 AM

What sort of accent do you have Minx?

Page 6 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top