Join for free
Page 9 of 14 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 01:48 PM

Re: Do you have a strong accent?

Originally Posted by carol ->
I have a regional accent, sometimes mistaken for Yorkshire.
I heard the Yorkshire accent! Sounds fab
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
I speak the Queen's English.

Whhull, tiz ow er would zpeak iffen er were brung up by yer.

In reality I think I speak RP. I was born a Moonraker but we moved when I was four, so I have no idea how I spoke then.
Seven years in Lincolnshire left me with a northern-ish accent. Enough that when we lived in Yorkshire people would know I wasn't from there. Fifty miles, that was all we had moved.

I spoke with a Yorkshire accent for the seven years whilst there, probably just to fit in.

I left home at eighteen to work in Bristol, my Dad and brother's home city. For the next four years, I spent six months alternating between there and college in my home town of Swindon.

When in Bristol I lived in a hostel with a bunch of other chaps from all over the country, and a few from beyond.
Similarly, college students were from all around the world.

My job involved precision, not just the work itself, but the communication both verbal and written.
I taught myself to speak clearly and distinctly, losing every trace of previous accents in the process, and the way I write now is also a legacy of that job.

Ten years later I moved to the beautiful county of Somerset, meaning the land of the Summer Settlers, at the request of my Lovely Cousin whom I had started dating.
I never picked up the local accent, and even after living here for thirty-eight years, I'm still classed as an incomer. I'm only tolerated because I married a local girl.

I speak a little German, the emphasis on the little, but apparently it is accent-less according to a German friend of ours.
An Englishman with no accent should be on BBC reading the news!
Your posts are always well written. If I were logging onto OFF on a computer, I’d put in more effort with longer posts
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

14-01-2021, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
If you want to hear how Male Cockney accents sound.

Don't watch "Mary Poppins".

Which version of Mary Poppins should I not watch?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 01:52 PM

Apparently, Dick van Dyke only had about a day to learn Mockney for his role in Mary Poppins, and was taught by an Irishman.
Well spotted.!

I said "Sound of Music "instead of "Mary Poppins".

Testing, testing, testing!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 02:20 PM

Eeee by gum aye me accent is reyt strong tha nos an am reyt prard onnit
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
An Englishman with no accent should be on BBC reading the news!
Your posts are always well written. If I were logging onto OFF on a computer, I’d put in more effort with longer posts
I don't think they are quite the same. There is, or at least there was, something called BBC English, which to me is not the same as Received Pronunciation.

BBC English is closer to the Queen's English, in other words how Her Maj speaks, as opposed to RP.

I think the difference is that BBC English was taught, whereas RP is acquired from many sources.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 02:30 PM

I heard the Yorkshire accent! Sounds fab

Tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but that can't tell 'im much.

Do you know the song, "On Ilkley Moor baht 'at"?

I had to have it translated into English for me when I lived in Lincolnshire.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 02:40 PM

I speak the Queen's English.

Whhull, tiz ow er would zpeak iffen er were brung up by yer.

In reality I think I speak RP. I was born a Moonraker but we moved when I was four, so I have no idea how I spoke then.
Seven years in Lincolnshire left me with a northern-ish accent. Enough that when we lived in Yorkshire people would know I wasn't from there. Fifty miles, that was all we had moved.

I spoke with a Yorkshire accent for the seven years whilst there, probably just to fit in.

I left home at eighteen to work in Bristol, my Dad and brother's home city. For the next four years, I spent six months alternating between there and college in my home town of Swindon.

When in Bristol I lived in a hostel with a bunch of other chaps from all over the country, and a few from beyond.
Similarly, college students were from all around the world.

My job involved precision, not just the work itself, but the communication both verbal and written.
I taught myself to speak clearly and distinctly, losing every trace of previous accents in the process, and the way I write now is also a legacy of that job.

Ten years later I moved to the beautiful county of Somerset, meaning the land of the Summer Settlers, at the request of my Lovely Cousin whom I had started dating.
I never picked up the local accent, and even after living here for thirty-eight years, I'm still classed as an incomer. I'm only tolerated because I married a local girl.

I speak a little German, the emphasis on the little, but apparently it is accent-less according to a German friend of ours.
I take it that you don't mean Slaithwaite?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 02:44 PM

Can you provide a name of anyone with your accent so that I can look up how it sounds

Benny Hill.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

14-01-2021, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I take it that you don't mean Slaithwaite?
Correct, I do not mean Slouwit. (Please pardon the phonetic spelling).

Page 9 of 14 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top