Join for free
Page 15 of 27 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 > Last »
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 05:25 PM

Re: Is Brexit over ??

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
This is exactly what happens in Italy. It's a national sport over there.
Yes - and it has lead the country to the dire straits it is in too.
For all those who are unhappy with the UK's system, I wonder just what they think would be better because I can see nothing that doesn't have its own drawbacks which IMHO are usually worse than that which we already have.

That said and given what the EU are facing, I'm glad we're out.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
It will be interesting to see how British politics develops, because the way things are going the major two parties stand a great chance of their days of huge inflence being over.
As you say, it looks unlikely (at this moment in time certainly) that enough of the country is so like-minded as to all pull together.
Politics reflects that.

Labour are still useless and divided, & only time will tell whether or not the Tories will fare any better.
The Liberals (as were) have pretty much imploded and certainly are not liberal any more.
In Scotland the SNP are divided too, and the battle raging now is almost certain to lead to huge change in that party.

It looks increasingly possible that we'll end up with more but smaller parties and have coalitions every election like the Dutch, who take months to form a government because of it.

I hope not, people that want to change the voting systems are the ones that can't win. Coalitions are always a government of compromise where nothing gets agreed and nothing gets done.

We need radical change and a leap into the world after leaving the EU not hanging around and talking about it.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2021, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I hope not, people that want to change the voting systems are the ones that can't win. Coalitions are always a government of compromise where nothing gets agreed and nothing gets done.

We need radical change and a leap into the world after leaving the EU not hanging around and talking about it.
We've got a few years before what I said could happen.

I agree with you but my suggestion was an "if" - in this case if the government don't get on with what they promised to do, not only with Brexit but with the Civil Service and the HoL and with procurement etc. etc. etc.

If they don't, Nigel will probably have the largest single following while the Tories would be relegated and (as I've said) divided, just as Labour and the SNP look like being split.

It's a great incentive for Boris to crack on, because he surely knows this.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
We've got a few years before what I said could happen.

I agree with you but my suggestion was an "if" - in this case if the government don't get on with what they promised to do, not only with Brexit but with the Civil Service and the HoL and with procurement etc. etc. etc.

If they don't, Nigel will probably have the largest single following while the Tories would be relegated and (as I've said) divided, just as Labour and the SNP look like being split.

It's a great incentive for Boris to crack on, because he surely knows this.

The conservatives are already implementing Reforms manifesto
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 12:41 PM

Default notice to the Conservative Party and Parliament needed to remind them the electorate are not letting them off the hook.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

16-01-2021, 01:34 PM

Indeed they are.
Time will tell as to whether or not they do enough of what is wanted or has been promised.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 01:57 PM

people that want to change the voting systems are the ones that can't win. Coalitions are always a government of compromise where nothing gets agreed and nothing gets done.

Yes, that's true. Perhaps 'first past the post' is the better option.

An alternative might be to reduce the time between general elections to every four years or even three.

Admittedly, some changes might take longer than three years to put in place, but at least after three years we'd be able to see the beginnings of changes promised in the government's manifesto.
It might just hurry them up and remind them that we are watching.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 02:32 PM

Do you think Boris has ideas of being made a LORD. Bread ???
What price reform then ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2021, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Do you think Boris has ideas of being made a LORD. Bread ???
What price reform then ??
I think most ex-PMs are given a peerage.

The Lords is a free old people's home for ex politicians anyway!
Zaphod
Lincs UK

16-01-2021, 04:58 PM

Well I suppose I wouldn't have a problem with people being made a Lord if they weren't then allowed to interfere in British politics by sitting in the HoL AND THEN seemingly sleep for most of the time & get paid handsomely for it too.

They (new ones that is) could be recognition for deeds performed but have no other tangible benefit, like a knighthood.
Let the hereditaries keep their titles but the option to "Lord it" over others using the House of Lords should be removed and any advantage that remains would be restricted to the title itself.

Page 15 of 27 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top