Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 11:46 PM

Opining an opinion

We have many discussions on here. We naturally express our opinions. We sometimes even type IMO or even IMHO to reinforce the point that we're not stating a fundamental truth but are (humbly) expressing an opinion.

Is it useful or helpful for other posters to remind us that what we know is an opinion is, in fact, an opinion and that they are entitled to hold another opinion?

Or is it, as I believe, not only a waste of time but IMHO an insult to suggest that posters aren't aware of it?

In short, is a post stating eg "that's your opinion and differs from mine, and we're entitled to have different opinions" of any real value?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 11:53 PM

Re: Opining an opinion

IMHO a nice cuppa tea would answer your question.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
IMHO a nice cuppa tea would answer your question.
Thank you darjeeling
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 12:11 AM

Hi

I was married for most of my adult life.

Having an opinion is a novelty for me.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 12:22 AM

IME, many a personal "opinion" may be described as :

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/opinion

a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
https://www.lexico.com/definition/Opinion

a belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof
Unsubstantiated conclusions have no value for me .....

Donald Trump, of course, is renowned for personal "opinion" .....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...fections-surge

Saturday, July 4, 2020 - President’s White House speech capping 4 July celebrations

Trump claims 99% of US Covid-19 cases are 'totally harmless' as infections surge

Now we have tested almost 40m people. By so doing, we show cases, 99% of which are totally harmless. Results that no other country can show because no other country has the testing that we have, not in terms of the numbers or in terms of quality.”
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 12:44 AM

I often write "IMO"..I don't put in the H though. I respect others right to have an "O"...I expect others to respect my "O" in return. My "O" is as good as anybody else's. Nothing to be "H" about. My failing, which I freely admit, is when I see things said here and opinions expressed that are at extreme odds with every human value and principle I live by; I find it difficult not to react. I am passionate about some things. I find it hard to make a joke of things that I see no humour in just to go along with the zeitgeist. In those case when people say something like.."Take a chill pill"..or…"Calm down" I think it really means.."I'm not interested in what you have to say..I just want to stay in my field of experience and not consider yours"..Then I feel glad - for their sake- that they are not here. And that is far from a good thing. We all need to respect each other's "Os". And their differences. We all need to try to be more tolerant and kind to each other. And that applies to me as much as everybody else.....
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

05-04-2021, 02:10 AM

@Omah - please accept my heartfelt thanks for your reply. It never ceases to amaze me how much time and effort you spend inserting quotes and referencing them as a matter of course.

My daughter's degree also insists on similar methodology.

Oddly (for you probably), maths doesn't rely on having to cite references to such an extent.

Not sure why, but possibly it's down to non conflicting theories not needing "backing up" of opinions. As such "we" can name a person or a theory without having to footnote it and accept it as valid and verbatum.

Funny old world.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 02:30 AM

I personally think adding it is a good habit for everyone to get into.
Keep us humble.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

05-04-2021, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I personally think adding it is a good habit for everyone to get into.
Keep us humble.
Interesting indeed. Personally and IMHO I think that the rules of engagement don't necessitate it. In short, I respect other people's intellect enough to assume that they know that they are expressing an opinion without having to be reminded, and that their opinion is as valid as anyone elses.

What is questionable is when someone states an opinion but then fails to discuss/debate/defend where their opinion logically might lead to, and indeed deny having such an opinion in the first place.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 04:31 AM

I never write IMO, I may have my faults but being wrong is not one of them.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top