Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 08:55 AM

Re: Opining an opinion

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
We have many discussions on here. We naturally express our opinions. We sometimes even type IMO or even IMHO to reinforce the point that we're not stating a fundamental truth but are (humbly) expressing an opinion.

Is it useful or helpful for other posters to remind us that what we know is an opinion is, in fact, an opinion and that they are entitled to hold another opinion?

Or is it, as I believe, not only a waste of time but IMHO an insult to suggest that posters aren't aware of it?

In short, is a post stating eg "that's your opinion and differs from mine, and we're entitled to have different opinions" of any real value?
I am truly amused by the irony here, asking for people's opinion on whether it is worth voicing an opinion, am I missing something...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
What is questionable is when someone states an opinion but then fails to discuss/debate/defend where their opinion logically might lead to,
Dex I don't think it is 'questionable' to state an opinion and leave it at that.
Some people seem to enjoy arguments, I often state my opinion to add a different perspective to a discussion but I frequently have no wish to discuss the matter further, I have no desire to get into an argument just because my opinion varies to that of others, I have no need to prove myself right and others wrong. Take or leave my opinion, I really don't mind

I know for some of us it is disadvantageous to get too agitated about anything, it raises the levels of certain hormones and can damage our health.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 09:26 AM

I love that we all have different opinions, and I don't think I have actually written IMHO, although maybe a jmo, might have crept in occasionally. Its something we all realise anyway (voicing opinions) and sometimes it gets quite heated, but there's no harm done.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I never write IMO, I may have my faults but being wrong is not one of them.
I have noticed that Brucy !! 🤔

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I never write IMO, I may have my faults but being wrong is not one of them.

Haha, like it, Bruce.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 09:39 AM

I have never said IMHO.

We used to have someone here who said that after nearly every sentence, and I found it most annoying.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I have never said IMHO.

We used to have someone here who said that after nearly every sentence, and I found it most annoying.
Well Mups you have said it now!

Putting that after nearly every sentence may just have been a reaction after being 'attacked' time after time, that does happen on here as we all know. That could just have been some kind of automatic defence or safety mechanism by the poster.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 09:48 AM

I often find,( especially lately) that when someone uses IMHO
in their post, they very often follow that up with a deluge of links
that do no such thing ??
Links are merely someone else's opinion !!
JMHO ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

05-04-2021, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Well Mups you have said it now!

Putting that after nearly every sentence may just have been a reaction after being 'attacked' time after time, that does happen on here as we all know. That could just have been some kind of automatic defence or safety mechanism by the poster.
A valid answer l think Baz !!

Donkeyman! 👍👍
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-04-2021, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Links are merely someone else's opinion !!
JMHO ??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
I like links....and try not to use them too much, but they are handy to back up what I have posted, or say "this is where I got the information from", etc.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top