Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 08:31 AM

Robins

Have you noticed how bold they are?

Any ideas why?

I have one in my garden, whether it’s the same one I don’t know.

It gets right up close to me when I’m removing leaves and uncovering some tasty morsel for it to eat....beautiful little bird, those legs are so tiny..
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 09:02 AM

Re: Robins

Yes I have one that lives in Dunnet Forest, he/she is always there to meet me in the mornings when Dageus and I arrive, He/she is sitting on the wall where I park the car and starts jumping around looking for breakfast at once. I now carry some mealworms in a wee tiny tub and as soon as they are gone he/she flies off into the trees. Even if I'm not going to walk in the forest but over on the beach I call in with breakfast, I'm well trained.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 09:05 AM

Yes, delightful little birds. Last year a pair raised a clutch in one of our nest boxes for the first time, and they are always around when we are digging in the garden ready to pounce on any grubs that happen to turn up.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Yes I have one that lives in Dunnet Forest, he/she is always there to meet me in the mornings when Dageus and I arrive, He/she is sitting on the wall where I park the car and starts jumping around looking for breakfast at once. I now carry some mealworms in a wee tiny tub and as soon as they are gone he/she flies off into the trees. Even if I'm not going to walk in the forest but over on the beach I call in with breakfast, I'm well trained.

Very intelligent aren’t they, I remember a few years back,there was a woman, who I accidentally met on a walk with Jack, there she was in the middle of the ranges, feeding all types of birds ,mainly Ravens, i could not believe the sight that greeted me, flocking all around her, as there she was scattering seed for them, it reminded of a film I watched, where a woman did that, for the life of me I can’t remember the name of that film.

We got talking about the birds, she was telling me she went to this particular site at the same time every day, and there they were she was telling me, perched in the trees waiting to be fed....it really was a joy to watch.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

07-04-2021, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Yes, delightful little birds. Last year a pair raised a clutch in one of our nest boxes for the first time, and they are always around when we are digging in the garden ready to pounce on any grubs that happen to turn up.

Same her Barry, my robins raised their young ,their nest was well hidden in the very large ivy I have that has taken over my fence.

This year I have another nest, not sure what type of birds they are though....

No nesting in the blue tit box this year....the box has had its day, so will wait until summer to dispose of it, just in case they are in there....I usually see them in and out, nothing this year.
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 12:20 PM

Did you know that when the Robin has finished rearing her young, the nurturing instinct is so strong she will start feeding the young of other birds?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

07-04-2021, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by PooBear ->
Did you know that when the Robin has finished rearing her young, the nurturing instinct is so strong she will start feeding the young of other birds?
good grief...must look that information up...I’m shocked ,as you can see.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by PooBear ->
I didn't know that either! I would have assumed once her young were fledged, the instinct would die down. This is so lovely!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Have you noticed how bold they are?

Any ideas why?

I have one in my garden, whether it’s the same one I don’t know.

It gets right up close to me when I’m removing leaves and uncovering some tasty morsel for it to eat....beautiful little bird, those legs are so tiny..
Yes, most here are like that, we have a resident Robin, probably a different one every few years, but they are all the same tameness, probably related. The present one stands in the bush a foot or so away, to make sure I fill the feeders/bird table properly, when I finish it flies off to tell everyone I've done it.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2021, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Very intelligent aren’t they, I remember a few years back,there was a woman, who I accidentally met on a walk with Jack, there she was in the middle of the ranges, feeding all types of birds ,mainly Ravens, i could not believe the sight that greeted me, flocking all around her, as there she was scattering seed for them, it reminded of a film I watched, where a woman did that, for the life of me I can’t remember the name of that film.

We got talking about the birds, she was telling me she went to this particular site at the same time every day, and there they were she was telling me, perched in the trees waiting to be fed....it really was a joy to watch.
The song was from Mary Poppins, Pauline.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top