Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 04:01 PM

I need help to set a booby trap please...

Some of you who have read the saga of my bollard will know that I haven't got very nice neighbours.

In the past few months my gas meter cupboard door has been torn away three times. After the second time the hinges were completely broken so I stuck it back with Gaff tape.

Now somebody has torn all the Gaffa tape off and thrown the door on the ground.

I have thought of sticking the door back on with Gaffa tape & then coating the Gaffa tape with 'security'paint - the type that doesn't dry.

It is very slippery & will stain the vandals hands & clothes but do them no harm.

What do you reckon - is it a stupid idea?

What would you do?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 04:02 PM

Re: I need help to set a booby trap please...

Give it a try, Carol. You've got nothing to lose other than a few quid that the paint will cost.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 04:05 PM

Yep, I would totally do that. What on earth is this neighbour capable of. I would also report it to your gas board, and see if you can get the meter put inside your house. Film it too, if you can, then if you get "whoever" it is on film, take it to the police. Or an alarm - one of those shrieking female alarms or car alarms.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Yep, I would totally do that. What on earth is this neighbour capable of. I would also report it to your gas board, and see if you can get the meter put inside your house. Film it too, if you can, then if you get "whoever" it is on film, take it to the police. Or an alarm - one of those shrieking female alarms or car alarms.
Oh, great idea Pixie . Tie a rape alarm to something inside the meter cupboard and the ring pull to the door. The next time someone pulls the door off, all hell will break loose.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Oh, great idea Pixie . Tie a rape alarm to something inside the meter cupboard and the ring pull to the door. The next time someone pulls the door off, all hell will break loose.
Exactly! Might give Carol a bit of a fright though
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 04:16 PM

I would say that it's a lovely idea with the paint, but may only serve to cause more bad feeling and even greater retribution. Is the box accessible to the public in some way then, rather than being on your private property? Could you perhaps fix up a security camera to try to catch the culprit?

You may be advised first though to call your gas supplier to ask if the box could be replaced with a new one, as without the door it is insecure and could be dangerous if the meter itself is tampered with. Another solution perhaps is to have a new frame and door made which would bolt to the wall around the existing box and could be made lockable, which wouldn't prove difficult to any reasonable DIY person.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 04:32 PM

video evidence is the way to go if possible.there are cameras that get triggered by movement. even a dummy camera may deter
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 05:02 PM

I go along with Realspeed on that…causing injury or damage to you neighbours will get you a lot of grief…the law seems to favour the villain I'm afraid, get your evidence, show the gas board and police.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2021, 05:42 PM

Good Grief! Carol, what sort of neighbours do you have to do such a despicable thing?

I think to retaliate shows them you are bothered and l wouldn’t spend money on anything to get back at them.

I think you should report it to the Utility people and even tell the police. If these people do this now, what will they do in the future?

I really feel for you, they make Swimmy’s neighbours look like nice people!
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

07-06-2021, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
video evidence is the way to go if possible.there are cameras that get triggered by movement. even a dummy camera may deter
Not knowing exactly which rules apply in the UK I’d check with the police before installing a camera.

Over here we’re allowed to set up a camera as long as it only covers our own property ie house, garden and driveway. We’re not allowed to direct it out towards the street.

As I say, legislation in the UK may be different, but better safe than sorry.

And I hope you catch the buggers redhanded!!!!!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top